x1000 and sb600 and/or other issues?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
billt

x1000 and sb600 and/or other issues?

Post by billt »

Hi All, sorry I didn't post this under AmigaOne x1000 forum, btu I do not get a New Topic button there, so I cannot do so. Please move there if you can, but I would appreciate replies, so please don't move if that would prevent replies.

I have heard vague statements that there are "some issues" with sb600 in x1000/Nemo, I'd like to know if someone can comment more fluently about that. I am curious what to expect when I finally get my x1000 running, how to fix what might happen, what to outright avoid doing, etc.

Are there known issues with anything coming from sb600 on the Nemo board? Is that due to driver bug, motherboard bug, or chip bug?

If software bug, is a fix underway, and what issues might remain after that is released? Any software bug not being corrected?

If driver software bug, or even firmware bug, is there Aeon/Hyperion interest in someone curious about such things and who may want to try to fix any issues there are? (I'm nearly free from my university time obligations after August 2016)

I found it very curious that there is not also an sb600 or newer on Cyrus or Tabor boards as I remember the announcements, but had thought that was more likely cost reduction reasoning, btu perhaps there was somethnig that I have not collided with myself yet for the sb600.

Googling around did not find me anything abotu sb600 issues on x1000/Nemo or AmigaOS, but it did turn up some old issues in x86/x64 PC land with USB, SATA softreset, ACPI and SMbus ID, which I have not dug very deeply into yet, but I udnerstand at least USB was allegedly fixed in Ubuntu 8.something version.

I really just want to understand the situation as well as I can, and very much appreciate any honest technical descriptions of any problems in Amiga universe with sb600 chip on x1000, or any other issues with x1000 motherboard.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: x1000 and sb600 and/or other issues?

Post by tonyw »

There are no issues with the SB600 southbridge on the X-1000. It supports four SATA connectors on the motherboard. There is also a PATA IDE controller and that is wired to a single 44-pin IDE connector on the motherboard. Both controllers work perfectly and there are no known or reported bugs.

Does the SB600 handle the USB as well? Can't remember now, but there are no problems with USB either.

The Cyrus and Tabor boards use a SATA controller built in to the CPU chip. In the case of the X-5000/Cyrus, it is wired to two SATA connectors on the motherboard. There is a device driver for it. I can't tell you about the Tabor at the moment since I broke mine and it is away being repaired.

The p5020 CPU on the Cyrus has many I/O features built in, like serial, USB, SATA and several others. The Tabor CPU is similar.
Last edited by tonyw on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
tony
billt

Post by billt »

Thank you Tony! I hadn't heard of any issues, and just wanted to confirm if there was anything to this or not. Very happy to hear it's not!
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I was mistaken about the PATA/IDE connector on the Nemo board. There is only one connector, not two. I have corrected my earlier post above.
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote:I was mistaken about the PATA/IDE connector on the Nemo board. There is only one connector, not two. I have corrected my earlier post above.
You also mention that there are only 2 SATA connectors on the X5000. That would seem to eliminate the possibility of a backup hard-drive if there is already one hard-disk & DVD drive.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

True, but the p5020 contains support for a port multiplier (not yet supported by our driver).
cheers
tony