How to use CFE dir command on a partition?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

How to use CFE dir command on a partition?

Post by Hypex »

Hello. I don't know if this is possible but it would seem a bit limited if it is not as loading would also be affected. But can the CFE dir command read a specific partition or only the first on every drive?

I read up on CFE docs but see no mention of it. I've also experimented with CFE itself and used the help command but there is no mention of it.

I'd like to go through my partitions and read the contents with CFE. Is this possible? :-?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: How to use CFE dir command on a partition?

Post by tonyw »

AFAIK the only Amiga file system that CFE can read and understand is FFS. That's why the boot partition containing amigaboot.of must be in an FFS partition.
cheers
tony
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Thanks. This looks to be the case. My CFE guide has gone missing but I found another online with just enough info to tell it can be specified in the following format:
ideM.N,Part:
Where Part is the AmigaDOS device name. Now this works for my one FFS partition. But it fails for all other partitions. The other ones are SFS but I also have two Ext3 partitions which should be readable by an Ext2 filesystem. But all I get are errors. I even formatted a USB stick as Ext2, first with an RDB, since it already had one. And then with an MBR. CFE failed to read it on both counts.

According to Locations and Filesystems in the following PDF this should be possible. FFS, FAT and Ext2 are meant to be supported. FFS and FAT work but Ext2 does not here. :-?

https://amigaone.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 00_cfe.pdf
xenic

Post by xenic »

Hypex wrote: According to Locations and Filesystems in the following PDF this should be possible. FFS, FAT and Ext2 are meant to be supported. FFS and FAT work but Ext2 does not here. :-?

Assuming that you are NOT using capital letters in the filesystem names like you are in the above quote, could it be possible that CFE has been updated since the above PDF was written and will recognize ext3 as a filesystem (-fs=ext3) ??
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

Hypex wrote: According to Locations and Filesystems in the following PDF this should be possible. FFS, FAT and Ext2 are meant to be supported. FFS and FAT work but Ext2 does not here. :-?

I can load amigaboot.of from my CF (has 2GB Fat and 2GB Ext2) and from USB-Stick (Lubuntu16.10 has a ext2-boot)
dir -fs=ext2 cf0:amigaboot.of or dir -fs=ext2 usbdisk0:amigaboot.of as examble.
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

xenic wrote:Assuming that you are NOT using capital letters in the filesystem names like you are in the above quote, could it be possible that CFE has been updated since the above PDF was written and will recognize ext3 as a filesystem (-fs=ext3) ??
That would be good. Yes the capitals were only used above. I don't know about Ex3. Ex2 should read Ext3 also as Ext3 is pretty much Ext2 plus journaling. But CFE itself gives no indication of it. Only Ext2.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

zappa2009 wrote:dir -fs=ext2 cf0:amigaboot.of
Wouldn't amigaboot.of need to be a directory in the above example?

In any case I got it going. I forgot that the X1000 has the same problem as the A1-XE when booting and doesn't detect USB devices. Well not unless you get it to rescan the bus. The reason I didn't think of this is that I boot a Linux kernel off a USB key plugged into an Apple keyboard. So for some reason CFE picks up the USB key in the Apple hub but not when plugged directly into the X1000. They don't make these AmigaOne machines without funny quirks. :-)

Now to make a few partitions and see what happens. :-)
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

Hypex wrote:
zappa2009 wrote:dir -fs=ext2 cf0:amigaboot.of
Wouldn't amigaboot.of need to be a directory in the above example?
Yes , I write down better examples.

dir for device cf0: only

Code: Select all

dir -fs=ext2 cf0:

dir for a Folder in the root of cf0:

dir -fs=ext2 cf0:Video
And for subfolders

dir -fs=ext2 cf0:Video/Youtube
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
vox

Post by vox »

tonyw wrote:AFAIK the only Amiga file system that CFE can read and understand is FFS. That's why the boot partition containing amigaboot.of must be in an FFS partition.
And that is exact reason why it needs an update >:-)
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

vox wrote:And that is exact reason why it needs an update >:-)
According to the guide this is the complete list. We have "amigafs" (AmigaOS FFS2), "ext2", "fat", or "iso" (ISO9660). Seems I couldn't get ext2 to work according to the above. But CFE is strange where it can load from. As I have never been able to load a Linux kernel from HDD. Something corrupts it.
Last edited by Hypex on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.