ram-handler extended memory feature

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
xenic

ram-handler extended memory feature

Post by xenic »

I've been anxiously awaiting the extended memory feature for the ram drive but even though the option is listed in the OS4.1FEupdate1 documentation, it doesn't work. Is there a reason why users didn't get the extended memory feature in the update1??
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Re: ram-handler extended memory feature

Post by Raziel »

iirc (and i'm sure i'm not) i was told that it won't be part of this bugfix package as the extmem feature relies on updated system components which relies on other updated system components which are either not ready for release, still in alpha/beta test and/or not fit for release yet.

I'm as anxious as you for this new feature as i'd like to plant it into some of my ports (which i'm probably not even able to do anyway) :-)

otoh i'm also anxiously waiting for multicore...so...

;-)

I'll watch this space
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

Raziel wrote:otoh i'm also anxiously waiting for multicore...so... I'll watch this space
Me too. I did notice one strange thing about setting prefs for the new ram-handler. If there several lines of text in the shell window, entering the command to show or change the ram-handler prefs causes the console to scroll up when the results are printed; even when the output isn't at the bottom of the shell window. Try this:

1. Open a new shell window to full screen height and enter the 'avail' command twice.
2. Enter "SYS:Kickstart/ram-handler.kmod show".
3. The output of the 'avail' command will be scrolled off the top of the shell window when the ram-handler command is executed (even though the text hasn't reached the bottom of the shell window).
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:
Raziel wrote:otoh i'm also anxiously waiting for multicore...so... I'll watch this space
Me too. I did notice one strange thing about setting prefs for the new ram-handler. If there several lines of text in the shell window, entering the command to show or change the ram-handler prefs causes the console to scroll up when the results are printed; even when the output isn't at the bottom of the shell window. Try this:

1. Open a new shell window to full screen height and enter the 'avail' command twice.
3. The output of the 'avail' command will be scrolled off the top of the shell window when the ram-handler command is executed (even though the text hasn't reached the bottom of the shell window).
I get the same effect here, but it seems to be intended to do that.
It looks like as if the command is doing the "scroll everything out and place my output to the top of the window/shell/CON" on purpose

oh and btw, seems like the extmem feature didn't make it into this update et al :-(

Do a "SYS:Kickstart/ram-handler.kmod EM ON" in a shell
ram-handler 53.172 [Vectorport Filesystem]

Amiga Operating System (Release 4.1 - Final Edition Update 1)
Copyright (c) 1985-2016 Hyperion Entertainment CVBA.

WARNING; ExtMem feature is not available with V53 ram-handler.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

xenic wrote:

That's just the command issue console intructions to align the output with the top of the screen, nothing to see there (bug wise) move along...