Update 1 and amigaboot.of

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
pvanni

Update 1 and amigaboot.of

Post by pvanni »

In the upgrade process there was the indication to put amigaboot.of in SYS:, but doesnt amigaboot.of
sit in a small FFS partition (on my set-up in BDH0)?
So may I copy amigaboot.of in BDH0 or may I leave it in SYS: which it's of SFS\00 type?
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Update 1 and amigaboot.of

Post by broadblues »

If you are using a small FFS boot partistion and an SFS SYS: then the copy in SYS: is essentially a backup, you will need to copy it over onto your boot partition.

If you have complete FFS SYS: you can leave it in SYS:

The former is recomended
pvanni

Post by pvanni »

I am in the first situation, so like I supposed I must copy it in the small FFS partition.

Thanks
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote: If you have complete FFS SYS: you can leave it in SYS:
Except for the fact that the default boot command that came with most complete X1000 systems is:

MENU_0_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ;boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of

That means a user's system will continue to use the the old amigaboot.of in BDH0: (small FFS partition) even if the new amigaboot.of is on an FFS boot partition.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

What broadblues should probably have said is that if you have a small FFS partition as the first one, containing amigaboot.of, then regardless of which filesystem you use for your SYS:, you need to copy the new amigaboot.of installed in SYS:to the small boot partition, overwriting the old one.

And if you don't have a small separate boot partition with amigaboot.of, but boot directly off your SYS: with its copy of amigaboot.of (in which case it must be an FFS partition, or it wouldn't be possible), then you don't need to copy it anywhere, as it is already being used.

Best regards,

Niels
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Well, just as I said on the os forum, when I do that - switch the one on the hidden ffs partition (BDH0) with the new one I lose usb while the desktop loads.
ddni

Post by ddni »

On my x1000, I have BHD0, but in media toolbox it is listed as not Automount and not Bootable.
My Amigaboot.of is in DH0: which is an SFS/02 filesystem.

I am confused now as above it says DH0: must be FFS to boot?

EDIT:
The X1000 wiki adds to what Niels has said, although it may only be referring to volumes after amigaboot.of has started.
Where does Kickstart load from?
As soon as the "amigaboot.of" loader begins, it scans all the available AmigaOS partitions it can find. Specifically, the SATA CD-ROM and SATA drive connected to Port1, SATA2 and IDE devices are scanned for partitions which are set as AmigaOS bootable, using the FFS2 or SFS file systems and containing an AmigaOS system.

- One issue that I have now with update1 autoboot.of is that I cannot access the early boot menu with both mouse button. Anyone else?
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@ddni

Confirmed, can't access the Early Startup Menu on X1000 either
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Ok, I fixed it - switched the new modules with the older ones and then booted the newer amigaboot.of. At that point I thought one of the modules didn't work so I began returning the newer ones one by one (only those that have something to do with usb). Eventually I returned every new module and I can still boot with the new amigaboot.of and have my usb back. Apparently that fixed it somehow. Next I will test early startup.
xenic

Post by xenic »

ddni wrote:- One issue that I have now with update1 autoboot.of is that I cannot access the early boot menu with both mouse button. Anyone else?
Confirmed. Same here. The keyboard "Scroll Lock" button still works though. Is this just an X1000 issue or does it affect all OS4 hardware?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE