Computer died

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Computer died

Post by daz »

xenic wrote: If you are going to change the battery, I'd print all the CFE settings first; just in case. I had to change my battery (3 years after puchase) and did it as fast as possible so I wouldn't loose any settings. I didn't lose anything.
Errr... CFE doesn't store its settings in the battery backed RAM, it stores them in the SPI Flash, that's why you didn't lose your settings, they are not lost when you change the battery.

Regards
Darren
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I guess that means that the bad battery is not behind my X1000 dying. Apparently all the battery does is "provide ... backup of the Real Time Clock and non-volatile ('CMOS') memory." (TRM-NEMO-1.5, 4.5, p 12)

I got my Samsung USB Connector. But when I try it with my serial terminal (see attachment) it fails to produce the desired results. Possibly because of the connector's limitations, possibly because I am not setting it correctly. My research has not given me more than hints on how to set some parameters. I have seen examples of Flow Control "Disabled" or "Off," but there are other alternatives: RTS/CTS, DTR/DSR, and XOn/XOff. Latency, whatever that is, can be set to various values, 1, 8, 16, ...255. Packet Size could be set to values fro 256 to 4096. I haven't experimented with changing any of these.

When I launch the terminal with nothing plugged into USB, the window comes up with the first three lines. There is no change when I plug the new Connector in, but oddly if I plug the otherwise uncnnected null modem cable into that, I get the "usb device: 1, vp..." line. Nothing further happens if I connect to the computer, or if I turn the computer on. If at some stage I cick on the "Connect" button, I get "Permission granted ..." I belatedly discovered an "Import" button but whatever it is supposed to do, nothing happens. No idea what the "Command" line is for.

The USB Connector comes with limitations: "Devices compatible ...: USB memory stick, FAT32 (Max. 32 GB); Printer, Samsung Laser Printer ..." I can read about half of my memory sticks and cards, so glad I bought the thing, but its limitations probably mean that I won't be getting any serial output from the X1000 to this tablet and I am going to have to buy a real computer of some sort.

I 've been without a computer for over a month. No Update 1, no new kernals...
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

The settings in your attachment look OK except I do not have any idea about the first 2,
067B:2303 and Interface.

I hope you are using the proper serial port on the X1000. ttyS0 or Serial Port 0.

If you don't have any luck with your tablet and don't wish to buy a windows box you might think of getting a RaspberryPi 3 and using that. It runs Linux and I can confirm it will allow you to do serial port stuff.

I use mine regularly for exactly that with a FTDI USB>Serial cable. The one I have is from 'Sabrent'.

Should you decide to get a RPi3 be sure to get any adaptors you may need and also the PixilOS on a microSD card.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks for the RaspberryPi suggestion. I may end up doing that, now that I know it would do the trick. Meanwhile, since I never got around to selling my SAM460 after decommissioning it, I have started trying to recommission it. The only SATA drive available to me would be one of the ones in my X1000. Dare I borrow one for this project? Maybe the SAM will look at them and tell me if there is space to do whatever I need to, without wiping out any of my X1000 data. After lunch.

Meanwhile, I wonder if Radio Shack might have a small inexpensive SATA...
xenic

Post by xenic »

kilaueabart wrote: I got my Samsung USB Connector. But when I try it with my serial terminal (see attachment) it fails to produce the desired results. Possibly because of the connector's limitations, possibly because I am not setting it correctly. My research has not given me more than hints on how to set some parameters. I have seen examples of Flow Control "Disabled" or "Off," but there are other alternatives: RTS/CTS, DTR/DSR, and XOn/XOff. Latency, whatever that is, can be set to various values, 1, 8, 16, ...255. Packet Size could be set to values fro 256 to 4096. I haven't experimented with changing any of these.
The X1000 serial ports are not "REAL" RS232 ports. They only have 3 wires instead of the full set of wires. The only flow control you can use is XOn/XOff software flow control. Probably what you need to use are the default settings you see in the SYS:Prefs/Serial window if you haven't changed them yourself.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xenic wrote:.... The only flow control you can use is XOn/XOff software flow control. Probably what you need to use are the default settings you see in the SYS:Prefs/Serial window if you haven't changed them yourself.
"SYS:Prefs/Serial" sounds like something I would set on my Amiga, not my android tablet. Since I cannot boot my Amiga, it is very hard to change any settings therein. But I can set the tablet's serial terminal to XOn/XOff, so I will try that way.
Meanwhile, I have ordered a RaspberryPi 3.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:
xenic wrote:.... The only flow control you can use is XOn/XOff software flow control. Probably what you need to use are the default settings you see in the SYS:Prefs/Serial window if you haven't changed them yourself.
"SYS:Prefs/Serial" sounds like something I would set on my Amiga, not my android tablet.
Don't bother with the serial prefs, they are not used for the debug terminal.

This is a quote from the Wiki page on serial debugging (http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Advanced_S ... ging_Guide):
The settings which you need to use and which always works on any Amiga hardware from which you want to get your serial output are:

Code: Select all

baud: 115200 
data bits: 8 
stop bits: 1 
parity: none 
flow control: none
Best regards,

Niels
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I think you are really going to enjoy that.

Meanwhile I have ordered an adapter for my FTDI USB to 9 pin serial cable to micro USB on my Samsung tab A. Thanks for the challenge....grumble grumble :)

From the looks of the screenshot you posted your samsung is recognizing the FTDI, (I can't confirm,, yet.) and I'm assuming the FTDI cable is plugged into a null modem cable/adapter then that is going into a 9 pin that is wired into the X1000 serial port. Yes?

Once the X1k is powered on it should just start pumping data out the serial port (no protocol). So I imagine(?) you would have the receiving device ready to go and click CONNECT soon after turning on the X1k.

Anyway, if you wish to discuss RPi3 stuff I have a thread going

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... orum=17&26
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

The USB adaptor cable arrived for the Galaxy TAB A and I gave it a try with Slick USB application.
I have a FTDI USB to Serial cable plugged into the Samsung cable then a null modem cable into that and then into the X1k first serial port.

Settings are;
Baud 115200
Parity None
Data 8 bit
Stop 1 bit
My FTDI adaptor shows as 1002.
No flow control.

It seems on my setup that I have to set up SlickUSB first and then plug in the cable. (?)
It works.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:
I think you are really going to enjoy that.
Anyway, if you wish to discuss RPi3 stuff I have a thread going

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... orum=17&26
My RPi3 came this afternoon. Failed to put it together. The case midsection didn't go all the way onto the bottom after I put the board on the bottom. Before getting too daring trying to pry them apart to start over I have asked the dealer, CanaKit, for advice. And I'm not sure what I will do about mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

Next I'm going to have a look at your thread.