Computer died

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

Re: Computer died

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:Should you decide to get a RPi3 be sure to get any adaptors you may need and also the PixilOS on a microSD card.
I googled PixilOS and only found some kind of art (?) program. But the next time I booted my nice new Raspberry-Pi 3, I noticed I already have the PixelOS I had subsequently googled.

I am rather impressed with this gadget, maybe partly because I don´t know as much about such things as some in the AmigaWorld thread. I suspect you use a different alias there than here, unless I have my Signals crossed.

I haven´t tried applying this to my X1000 problem yet. I´ll experiment a little first. I looked at a FAQ and learned that I am not the only one who can´t set the time correctly (today at 14:38 it tells me it is November 25, 09:14--I wonder if this post will be so dated?), but the answer to the problem was to get a Supervisor to fix it. Huh? Also I find it very difficult to type ¨´¨--I have to press the quote key twice to get anything. Iĺl try a different keyboard (I see I can accent vowels, áéíúó though! And umlaut them: ä!).

The thing runs a bit slow, but itś fun.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Signal is right.

There is a post there that may help you speed up your RPi.

It is probably better to move this topic over there.

You may want to look at Menu>Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse. Then select the Keyboard tab and Keyboard Layout.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:...
It is probably better to move this topic over [to ghe AmigaWorld thread].
I've been trying to do that. But whenever I log on, go to the thread in question and Preview a post I have just typed, whether from this Rpi3 or my Samsung Galaxy, the screen suddenly switched to another one that says,

Code: Select all

This site can't be reached
amigaworld.net refused to connect.
Very frustrating!
You may want to look at Menu>Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse. Then select the Keyboard tab and Keyboard Layout.
Actually I had finally discovered the USA keyboard, right at the top of the list!, before I logged off that day.

I have lots of questions, if only AmigaWorld would let me ask. Like if rpi3 is really supposed to run at "1200 ghz" (mhz?], why does mine say

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz
#arm-freq=800
How do I know whether it is running currently at 700 or at 800? Do I really want to overclock, and would I do that by dropping the "#" and changing to "arm_freq=1200"?
Just a couple of the questions I would ask if I could find a good place to do it, like your thread at AW. :cry:
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

AW.net seems to be down at this time.
How do I know whether it is running currently at 700 or at 800? Do I really want to overclock, and would I do that by dropping the "#" and changing to "arm_freq=1200"?
Yes, that is how it's done. The only time I have had a heat problem running at 1200 is when using a webcam.
Try 1000 first, it may be enough.

A few things you should do after that. Open a Terminal and do 'sudo apt-get update', then 'sudo apt-get upgrade'. That will keep you current.

You are going to need a COM program. Open the Add/Remove Software app, which is Synaptic, and type 'cutecom' into the search, when located check the little box to install then click 'apply', answer Y to the question that should appear.

Reboot, then again in a terminal 'sudo apt-get autoremove'. That will cleanup things that are no longer used and just taking up space.

Plug in the FTDI cable.

Even though the install of cutecom adds a menu item it does not work on mine at least. So to start it open a terminal, type cutecom, hit Enter.

The device you will be using is /dev/ttyUSB0, you will probably have to type that in. Then set 115200 for Baud rate, 8 bits, 1bit, no parity, no handshake, open for Read and write, and check Apply settings when opening. Click Open Device.

If all goes well the program should capture data when you turn on your x1k. (You could also try it on your SAM).

If it works you can save the input by adding something like /home/pi/Documents/cutelog.txt to the Log to: box. (Watch your caps when entering the directories)

I probably forgot something(?). :oops:
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Just exactly what I needed! Thanks to your kindly detailed instructions, I have been able to save and submit serial output from the X1000. Not very impressive:

[HELO][DRAM]SDRAM: ECC off, Non-ECC DIMM used on channel 0.
SDRAM: ECC off, Non-ECC DIMM used on channel 1.
[RELO][L1CF][GOLO][GOT ][ZBSS][INIT][MAIN][KMEM][EXCP][HELO][DRAM]SDRAM: ECC off, Non-ECC DIMM used on channel 0.
SDRAM: ECC off, Non-ECC DIMM used on channel 1.
[RELO][L1CF][GOLO][GOT ][ZBSS][INIT][MAIN][KMEM][EXCP]
I have removed 14 identical pairs of lines.

Later I'll try it on the SAM just to see what sort of stuff I probably should be getting.

My first try at AmigaWorld this morning seemed OK initially, but eventually conked out as I was switching fora. It refused to come on at all just now.

I can't get e-mail on the rpi3, either--Google complains it's subject to hacking, but evey other site besides these two that I've tried so far come up fine.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

gmail works for me using the browser, I have not tried the Claws mail program.

Amigaworld may be having some technical problems.

If that is all you're getting out of the X1k then there is a problem, but it seems at least the CPU is working.

If you feel confident enough, you could unplug the harddrives and remove all the cards then try it again. Then install the cards one-by-one, starting with the video, and redo the serial output for each card and device.

If with all the stuff removed or disconnected the serial output does not change I would suspect the power supply or the internal SDcard. Just guessing really.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I can now get on, not only to read but also to post, AW's rip3 section! I wasted a message space testing, although I am going to have a lot of questions.

For gmail, still "Privacy error."

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from http://www.google.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Amigakit responded similarly to your suggestion: "Please remove power and reseat ram, 24pin power cable and any cards installed in pci / pcie slots."

I am always comfortable putting cards and cables in, but often find it scarily difficult to remove them. Tomorrow morning when I have time to do it relaxedly.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

@ kilaueabart

did you get your X1000 up & running again ?
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

No, no X1000. I haven't heard from Amigakit for a long time, so I just asked whether I must consider that compute to be junk.

Meanwhile, I have managed, with lots of help from the forum members here, to revive my old SAM460ex, which I am currently using the X1000 HDD on. If the X1000 is really hopeless, I am considering trying to mount an X5000 motherboard in that box.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

kilaueabart wrote:No, no X1000. I haven't heard from Amigakit for a long time, so I just asked whether I must consider that compute to be junk.

Meanwhile, I have managed, with lots of help from the forum members here, to revive my old SAM460ex, which I am currently using the X1000 HDD on. If the X1000 is really hopeless, I am considering trying to mount an X5000 motherboard in that box.
sad to hear that Amigakit didn't try to help you with the X1000? Glad to hear you can keep the guts of the X1K and buildin another OS4.x machine :)
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+