Sleep Mode for X1000 ?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Sleep Mode for X1000 ?

Post by amigasociety »

Wondering if Amiga OS has a way to allow the X1000 to go to sleep? Maybe during non use when nothing is happening and after the screen saver has timed out and my monitor goes into hybernation mode, would be nice for the X1000 fan to stop and the system go to sleep, easily waked up later at the move of a mouse.

Is this possible?

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Sleep Mode for X1000 ?

Post by Slayer »

I'm sure it is of course possible, I'd be willing to hazard a guess and say to achieve this to an extent or an integrated level you are suggesting it would require quite a bit of effort and span across several individual files which in turn would be component parts of entire sections of the OS etc, since many variables would need to be streamlined. (eg how much cpu overhead would be considered idle? how much cpu overhead does a downloading file generate for example? etc etc, imagine the conditional statements - and then users would what "degrees" of such)

I'm only glad that since you're asking such a question everything else must be hunky-dory and this is truly a good thing :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Slayer wrote:I'm sure it is of course possible, I'd be willing to hazard a guess and say to achieve this to an extent or an integrated level you are suggesting it would require quite a bit of effort and span across several individual files which in turn would be component parts of entire sections of the OS etc, since many variables would need to be streamlined. (eg how much cpu overhead would be considered idle? how much cpu overhead does a downloading file generate for example? etc etc, imagine the conditional statements - and then users would what "degrees" of such)

I'm only glad that since you're asking such a question everything else must be hunky-dory and this is truly a good thing :D
So far so good.

Every day or so I add something else the way I like it or explore something new.

I let her run all day long and must admit, compared to my Mac Mini, which has no noise or fan blowing, I can hear the X1000 fairly well. I thought it would have been a little quieter but such is life.

I guess having a silent G4 Cube in the day and then a Mini now, that is dead quiet, I am used to hearing silence.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

That's a good result and it's very inspirational to hear of someone who is willing to just keep digging deeper and seeing what else they can get up too. Was very much me when I got my first Amiga Way back at the beginning of time ;)

And yes, the X1000 does run a little louder, but I guess I'm old school and think if I can't hear something "Is the damn thing actually working?"

The Sam Flex I have beside my X1000 is so quiet I can't hear it. Must be a good case design. The X1000 on the other hand has the side panel off, the large case fan spinning, the PPC fan spinning and the Factory OC 4890s fan spinning, so the room is filled with a whirling... but I like it that way anyway LOL

moral of the story, be careful what you get used too, it doesn't always mean its what the norm should be! Just joking of course, quieter is probably better and probably an indication also of more energy efficient.
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

I am surprised to read that the X1000 makes much noise at all, since the PA6T is only using one of the two cores when running OS4.1.5 (at the moment) and even when running both cores, it is a low wattage CPU.

I would imagine that the video card outputs much more heat than the PA6T does and could understand that the fan on the video card might be noisier than the rest of the system. I am guessing that no thermal monitoring and fan control has been completed for OS4.1.5 yet, so the fans probably run at full speed, or a relatively high speed, regardless if they are needed or not at this point in time. Can someone from the OS4.x team verify this or not? There must be many parts of OS4.x that need working on right now to reach the 4.2 goal, so working on thermal protection & automatic fan controls might be lower on the list of priorities than a few other improvements are. Maybe installing one of those fan control systems would be a good idea and could quiet the X1000 fans when there was not much heat being produced. I looked at a few of those items when I was trying to figure out how to make my dual 1.25GHz (now upgraded to dual 1.42GHz) G4 PowerMac MDD quieter. I instead just bought a Silent fan to replace the main CPU fan in it, which made a huge difference, so I have not done anything else, or bought one of those fan controllers. My X1000 just arrived, so I will unpack it and turn it on to see how much noise amigasociety is talking about, and see if it bothers me or not.

Off topic: I know that there is a large pool of OS4.x beta-testers, as the first production run of X1000's were purchased by users that were admitted to the beta-test team, and there were already beta-testers for the original AmigaOne's, the SAM440ep/fx and SAM460ex, and the Peg2 systems. What I wonder is "how many developers does Hyperion have Steve Solie managing that are actively working on different parts of OS4.x? I know that Steve Solie mentioned that he was trying to improve and streamline the process of finding and recruiting more developers, but have not read or heard anything more about that since the Oct. 2011 AmiWest Show.

It must be difficult to find qualified Amiga programmers and get them integrated into the Hyperion team of developers, but it is vital to find new developers to increase the speed and quality of updates for OS4.x. I have to take my hat off to Steve Solie for taking on such a large task of managing OS4.x development. It can't be an easy task and I doubt he gets enough credit and thanks for his work.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

AmigaDave wrote:I am surprised to read that the X1000 makes much noise at all, since the PA6T is only using one of the two cores when running OS4.1.5 (at the moment) and even when running both cores, it is a low wattage CPU.
It all very comapartive.

For example my A1-X1000 is much quiter than either my PegII, A1-XE or µA1-C or my Windows PC for that matter.

(If you keep the side panel on Slayer ;-))

However, it obviously generates more noise that my fanless MacMini.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Hi Trevor,

I agree, the X1000 is much quieter than most of my other tower computers and I was testing with the side panel off, so it will be even more quiet when I put the (damaged, Damn FedEX) panel on and run it normally.

I am too pi$$ed off at FedEX right now to see straight, so I am not going to post anything else for a while, other than my X1000 did arrive around noon today and the box looked like FedEX had been dragging it behind the truck, instead of being inside of it. Why can't these shipping companies hire human beings to handle their packages?
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Ouch Dave, you have a damaged side panel also. Sheesh, that makes two of us now.

Mine was the javelin pierced through the box dent on mine. :twisted:

You will have to post your damage once you settle down. :twisted:

Do like I did on live video, just go with the flow and not let it get you down.

Maybe my years of doing tech services and customer support and walking people through stuff has made me a "mostly" patient person and when shit hits the fans, I am able to work through it without blowing up all that often.

tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

amigasociety wrote:Ouch Dave, you have a damaged side panel also. Sheesh, that makes two of us now.

Mine was the javelin pierced through the box dent on mine. :twisted:

You will have to post your damage once you settle down. :twisted:

Do like I did on live video, just go with the flow and not let it get you down.

Maybe my years of doing tech services and customer support and walking people through stuff has made me a "mostly" patient person and when shit hits the fans, I am able to work through it without blowing up all that often.

tj
I am calm, but still very angry with FedEX. I will never use them to ship anything, that is for sure. I have contacted them and started the claim process and also contacted AmigaKit and informed them of the damage. It is not just a small dent in the side panel. It looks like someone opened the box, opened the computer case, STEPPED ON THE HARD DRIVE, causing the caddy holding the hard drive and the three caddies below it to be dislocated and the cage holding the hard drive to be bent and scratched up in the process. The cage that holds the drives was tweaked so hard that it almost pulled out one of the rivets attaching it to the optical drive cage above it and causing dents in the top of the case from the strain that was put on the whole assembly. The video card was floating around inside the case, but it does not appear to be damaged. (Question, does AmigaOS4.1.5 support the DVI port on the supplied video card with the First Contact X1000 systems, and if it does not, why is this not mentioned anywhere in the documentation, or Quickstart Guide?)

My case is un-repairable, as far as I am concerned, so FedEX needs to buy me a new case and deliver it without damage. What upsets me is that this kind of behavior is totally unacceptable, IMHO, and I have no idea how my case and hard drive could have gotten to the state it was in when I opened it up, except by malicious behavior on the part of either the FedEX employee's, or the Customs Agent, who did the clearance of my package. The side panel was also bent on the edge, but that is minor compared to the rest of the damage. To be honest, I did not expect the X1000 to boot after seeing the extent of the damage and having the video card and hard drive loose in the case for at least part of the shipping journey. This was NO ACCIDENT!
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Um wow! That is crazy. If that is what happened to me during live video, I would have freaked. Dent is one thing but take pictures for your arsenal in case fed/x tries to be stupid on this.

I saw one other user that had a hard drive out of tray on delivery.

Not like yours though.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor