Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaDave

Re: Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

Post by AmigaDave »

sundown wrote: I believe you need to select the Bootable AmigaOS4 box to make a bootable CD. I also believe amigaboot.of needs to be on it as well, in root.

Ken, posted from TW :-D
Thanks for the info Chris and Ken,

I will give it a try on Thursday. As soon as I get a "Restore" CD/DVD created, and working, I will see if I can use it to duplicate my system on a different hard drive. If it works, then I will take out the existing 1tb drive and replace it with the newly "Restored" hard drive and put the "Restore" CD/DVD in a safe location. (I finally got some better DRUGS! Now I hope I can stay awake while using them, so I can enjoy my X1000)
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

sundown wrote:
Christopher Follett wrote:
amigasociety wrote:Dave,

You can create a disc so you can restore easly, via the DVD app under extras.
Select System: as your source dir and then create an image. You can then burn that image with same app.
You will then be able to boot from that CD as if it were your system: partition on the HDD.

This is how I do it with mine, works great, if you mess something up. As you can either boot from it and copy it back across.
Or you can drag the files you need back across replacing messed up files.
So are you saying by making this DVD we can at boot instead of letting it boot from hdd select it to boot from CD and if this DVD is in the X1000 it will boot up from it?

That is cool.

tj

Exactly, the app is AmiDVD.
If I get some time tommorow evening, Ill see about doing a guide to help.
I believe you need to select the Bootable AmigaOS4 box to make a bootable CD. I also believe amigaboot.of needs to be on it as well, in root.

Ken, posted from TW :-D
amigaboot.of is on the boot partition, so no problems there.
I beleive you only select bootable and uboot for AmigaONE and SAM systems. Its not needed for X1000.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Christopher Follett wrote:Dave,
Select System: as your source dir and then create an image. You can then burn that image with same app.
You will then be able to boot from that CD as if it were your system: partition on the HDD.

This is how I do it with mine, works great, if you mess something up. As you can either boot from it and copy it back across.
I beleive you only select bootable and uboot for AmigaONE and SAM systems. Its not needed for X1000.
@Christopher Follett,

If I am understanding your statement above correctly, for the "Restore CD/DVD" to work on an X1000 that has a dead hard drive replaced with a new one, the "Restore CD/DVD" would also need to have a boot partition, with amigaboot.of file on it. Is that correct?

I am still confused about how to make a working "Restore CD/DVD" that will work on an X1000 if I have a catastrophic failure of my existing hard drive and must replace it with a brand new SATA drive.

Maybe what I am asking for can't be done, and the only way to do a re-install of OS4.1.5 is with the Install CD/DVD for OS4.1.5 that I will be receiving when it is available?

Sorry if this is confusing to anyone. I know I am confused, but I have excuses.

P.S. My monitor is now working with a DVI cable in place of the VGA cable, so I have confirmed that the early error I had when I did not get a display through the DVI cable at a screen resolution of 1024x768 must have been a conflict, or problem with the 20-inch Apple Cinema Display not being able to show that resolution, or something like that.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

AmigaDave wrote:
Christopher Follett wrote:Dave,

@Christopher Follett,

If I am understanding your statement above correctly, for the "Restore CD/DVD" to work on an X1000 that has a dead hard drive replaced with a new one, the "Restore CD/DVD" would also need to have a boot partition, with amigaboot.of file on it. Is that correct?

I am still confused about how to make a working "Restore CD/DVD" that will work on an X1000 if I have a catastrophic failure of my existing hard drive and must replace it with a brand new SATA drive.

Maybe what I am asking for can't be done, and the only way to do a re-install of OS4.1.5 is with the Install CD/DVD for OS4.1.5 that I will be receiving when it is available?

P.S. My monitor is now working with a DVI cable in place of the VGA cable, so I have confirmed that the early error I had when I did not get a display through the DVI cable at a screen resolution of 1024x768 must have been a conflict, or problem with the 20-inch Apple Cinema Display not being able to show that resolution, or something like that.
Sorry poor choice of words, OS4.1 folder.
As its in there, amigaboot.of will see it.
Resolute and Industrious
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

New Products
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

AmigaDave wrote:

See if this works for you.

Making an emergency boot CD:

1. Copy or verify "amigaboot.of" is in the root directory of the sys: to be burned.
2. Start AmiDVD & insert a blank CD in drive.
3. Under the "Create Image" tab, set the "Source" path to the sys:, & the "Volumename" you want for your emergency disk.
4. In the "Imagefile" box, set the path & file name for the iso (boot.iso).
5. Check the "Bootable AmigaOS4" box ON.
6. You should see the files to burn, so select the "Create Image" box to create the iso.
7. After the iso is created, select the "Burn Image" tab.
8. Select the "Burn CDRW" box & the iso should burn to the CD.

Just a note: If you have added any assigns, etc, to S:User-Startup & are installing a new drive, you may get path errors on boot up. You should be able to just cancel them until the system boots.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

sundown wrote:
AmigaDave wrote:

See if this works for you.

Making an emergency boot CD:

1. Copy or verify "amigaboot.of" is in the root directory of the sys: to be burned.
2. Start AmiDVD & insert a blank CD in drive.
3. Under the "Create Image" tab, set the "Source" path to the sys:, & the "Volumename" you want for your emergency disk.
4. In the "Imagefile" box, set the path & file name for the iso (boot.iso).
5. Check the "Bootable AmigaOS4" box ON.
6. You should see the files to burn, so select the "Create Image" box to create the iso.
7. After the iso is created, select the "Burn Image" tab.
8. Select the "Burn CDRW" box & the iso should burn to the CD.

Just a note: If you have added any assigns, etc, to S:User-Startup & are installing a new drive, you may get path errors on boot up. You should be able to just cancel them until the system boots.
Volumename should = the name of the main partition. i.e. OS4.1.
This will stop it from moaning that it cant find OS4.1: if some things have OS4.1: in their path instead of SYS:.
Resolute and Industrious

New Products
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

Christopher Follett wrote: Volumename should = the name of the main partition. i.e. OS4.1.
This will stop it from moaning that it cant find OS4.1: if some things have OS4.1: in their path instead of SYS:.
Good tip, I have learned to use "Sys:" now in assigns & paths instead, but doesn't help if you set assigns to another volume like "Work".
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

sundown wrote:
Christopher Follett wrote: Volumename should = the name of the main partition. i.e. OS4.1.
Good tip, I have learned to use "Sys:" now in assigns & paths instead, but doesn't help if you set assigns to another volume like "Work".
Aye, I would go with nameing it SYS:.

But you always have to remember to rename the boot folder as the same name as the original (messed up) boot folder.
Its the same principle as any Amiga OS, including classic ones.
Resolute and Industrious

New Products
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Thanks again for the tips. Specially for the detailed step-by-step process. That is the kind of idiot-proof help I need most of the time, or I end up forgetting something easy or obvious to everyone else.

I have just created the Restore ISO image and burned it to a CD-R, so I will now try to boot from it and see what happens. :mrgreen:

Edit: Okay, that went well, very easy to create a bootable "Restore" CD, but since I named it "Restore.iso", I had to assign Sys: to it after the X1000 booted from it, so it could finish starting the dock and maybe one or two other things that are probably in the "Startup" drawer.

Now I am looking at "Media Toolbox" and it looks very different than what I remember from HDToolbox, so I am searching for information on how to partition the replacement hard drive I have just installed. It is a 160gb SATA drive that came from a G5 PowerMac. According to sundown, I need to have the amigaboot.of file on a small FFS (maybe FFS2 will work as well) formatted partition. then I will need a System: partition that I will probably format with SFS, or SFS2. Finally I will use the rest of the drive as a Work: partition with either SFS, SFS2, or JXFS as the file system. First place I am looking is the X1000_CFE.pdf, as it has info about how the X1000 boots up and loads OS4.x, so it might have some info regarding installing OS4.x on a hard drive.

More info to follow. If you want to offer me any advice, please post it here.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

AmigaDave wrote:then I will need a System: partition that I will probably format with SFS, or SFS2. Finally I will use the rest of the drive as a Work: partition with either SFS, SFS2, or JXFS as the file system.
Two notes:

1. For SFS and JXFS, remember to change the blocksize to 512.

2. I'd leave some, say 5 or 10 GB, of the drive unused, that means you will always be able to create an extra partition or two if e.g. you need to make an alternative boot partition one day.

Best regards,

Niels