High DPI Mice and AmigaOne X1000 with 4.1u5

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

High DPI Mice and AmigaOne X1000 with 4.1u5

Post by amigasociety »

Well I now own the Cyborg Rat 9 Mouse I had linked to on another forum. I was going after its adjustable ergonomics over the extra programming of buttons since I knew Amiga OS would not run the extra buttons anyway. I just needed something I could really fit to my hands for many hours use that other mice have not done well.

http://cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm

Overall, I like it for the comfort of the hand but.... quirky with AmigaOne X1000 running Amiga OS 4.1u5.

Maybe some of you have seen this with other high DPI mice and have advice.

For use with Amiga OS 4.1, there is one or two quirks I can't get past or seem to find a comfort zone with, and that is with resizing windows while in Amiga OS 4.1 or dragging windows in AmiCygnix.

This mouse can be set in various DPI ranges from 800, 1600, all the way up to 5600.

I am thinking it has something to do with the super high-rez of the mouse, up to 5600dpi. What happens is while in Amiga OS 4.1 I can drag windows around zippity quick and all functions work nicely, arrow cruises around screen fast, but when I grab the lower right corner of any window to resize it, it goes at SLUG MINUS 1000 speed. It is so weird. It is like I have to move the mouse many inches to expand the window to where I wanted it. Therefore, adjusting size of window is a pain and just so slow, like the mouse is in some precision mode and longer movements don't move the cursor much.

If I make the mouse go at faster speed in Amiga OS 4.1 prefs, it goes a little faster, but still much slower than it should compared to a AmigaOne Mouse or my Logitech Wireless MX Mouse, so mouse movement seems out of place at that point.

Trying to move a window around on screen in AmyCygnix is SOOO Slow it is not usable with this mouse it seems. Weird thing is resize of window in AmiCygnix is fast. Go figure. So if I want to move the NetSurf window 3 inches to the right, it is not the normal choppy slow that we all experience, but so slow it is painful.

I can change the mouse DPI to various settings and set Amiga OS mouse prefs well enough to get me around most areas but these same settings then used in AmiCygnix I can't even move a window around well enough.

Makes my zippy Amiga OS feeling halt when I have to do these things.

Anyway, nice mouse but seems quirky on Amiga OS speed wise.

Just seems odd all other functions seem to track nicely but resize window in Amiga OS or move window in AmiCygnix becomes so slow it ruins my computing experience.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Re: High DPI Mice and AmigaOne X1000 with 4.1u5

Post by amigasociety »

I think I found a good enough setting to get me by on the Amiga OS side and window resizing although not as nice when using my other mice, works well enough I suppose.

While in AmiCygnix I have to up the mouse DPI a couple clicks before I move a window but it works well enough there too, just not as fluent as my other mice.

I guess an odd issue but I am working through it.

Maybe getting use to a mouse other than my day to day Apple Magic Mouse on my Mini and the Logitech on my X1000 will take a little time.

tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

That's good to know

I have a more wasteful (some might think crazy approach) method of curing this kind of thing, I just keep buying different brands of X until I get something that works... you've got a more sensible approach I see ;)

Slayer goes away mumbling 'compromise, yes that's the word'
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

It works really well on all Amiga OS side other than the stupid resize window and now I have it where it is not so bad I guess.

Bugs me more about the real crappy AmiCygnix side. I guess I will leave two wireless mice connected and when I go into AmiCygnix mode I will just switch to the Logitech.

I guess nothing wrong with running two mice I take it?

tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

You can run two usb mice no problems. Trying to move both at once might cause confusion though!

As to your issue with slow down of window resizing. That seems abit strange.

Does it happen with all apps? Or just some. Do you have any CPU meter installed? CPUInfo.cocky for isntance? If so does it show 100% CPU? I'm wandering if mouse move events are getting lost when resizing windows with contents.

You could try changing the GUI prefs to switch of resizing windows with contents. That won't help with AmiCygnix though.

I have a fairly hi DPI laser mouse from logictec (can't remeber actual figures) but haven't had any issues so far. In prefs/input I have mouse speed set to 1:2 and acceleration on. This gives a good compromise between managable speed for short mousements and rapid movement acrooss the screen for larger movements.
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

broadblues wrote:You can run two usb mice no problems. Trying to move both at once might cause confusion though!

As to your issue with slow down of window resizing. That seems abit strange.

Does it happen with all apps? Or just some. Do you have any CPU meter installed? CPUInfo.cocky for isntance? If so does it show 100% CPU? I'm wandering if mouse move events are getting lost when resizing windows with contents.

You could try changing the GUI prefs to switch of resizing windows with contents. That won't help with AmiCygnix though.

I have a fairly hi DPI laser mouse from logictec (can't remeber actual figures) but haven't had any issues so far. In prefs/input I have mouse speed set to 1:2 and acceleration on. This gives a good compromise between managable speed for short mousements and rapid movement acrooss the screen for larger movements.
I don't have a CPU watcher yet but will get one and see what happens.

It finally came to a point where I have switched back to my Logitech MX Laser Wireless that works fine with same exact settings.

Seems something about this mouse only and resize of windows with Amiga OS.

This RAT 9 does fine on my Macs so it seems to be a funky Amiga OS vs Rat 9 thing.

I will try the CPU meter and see if it gets pegged out.

tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

broadblues wrote: You could try changing the GUI prefs to switch of resizing windows with contents. That won't help with AmiCygnix though.
Thanks for the tip.

I can live without reszing windows with the drawers and contents being visible so I turned that off. Now I can resize window quickly.

The whole moving window around with contents works fast so that was never an issue, just the resize window part.

I will be happy with just a window line as I drag to resize windows now. 8-)

AmiCygnix is still an issue so I will leave my AmigaOne mouse connected for those times I use AmiCygnix.

Compromise.

tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor