Installing Debian: no keyboard

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
zappa2009

Re: Installing Debian: no keyboard

Post by zappa2009 »

Dont know if this helps : I use for installing 2x2GB Module for the installation. With 1x2GB sometimes i had no keyboard
Only with Linux with OS4.1.6 everything is ok.
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
Johan
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Johan »

Thanks guys, for the suggestions.

I've tried everything I can possibly think of: Mac keyboard, HP keyboard, Logitech trackball, normal mouse, all of this with or without kvm, I tried Debian and Ubuntu, I reformatted the cf-card on Mac and on WinXP many times as FAT, I tried another cfcard fresh from the store, I burned another cd with Wheezy testcd_01, and it all comes down to the same: not being able to select my favourite language on the first screen. In CFE everything goes according the Installmanual2.5.1.4 (iirc), I use kernel3.5.7 / vmlinux3.5.7 from cfcard, I use initrd.gz from atapi0.0 (the cd).

But I did make a nearly full install once, with Mac keyboard through kvm. That install failed at the very end. Now I am out of brilliant ideas.

My system, for what it's worth: AmigaOS4.1.6, 2 GB ram, Sapphire 4560, Sandisk 60 GB ssd, Samsung 500 GB hdd (on which I try to install Debian, on a non-used, non-formatted part).

Oh well.

I may try the Wheezy live version from A-eon's site, but downloading that seems very very slow. Haven't got much time in the evenings these days. I think I put this project on hold, for the time being. Unless someone comes up with something.

For now: thank you all.

johan
~~~/\___Yet Another Stupid Enduser___/\~~~
Johan
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Johan »

Just couldn't resist giving it another try. I took a fresh usbstick with the Ubuntu-installfiles on it and guess what? I managed to get Ubuntu installed all the way!
But I could not do the first boot into Ubuntu.

At the end of the installation the system resets itself and I re-inserted the usbstick and did
CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sde5"
CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk1:vmlinux39pw-1.2
and that gives that scrolling Linux textlines.
This ends with: ata4: link online but 1 device misclassified, devicedetection might fail

Turning off and on the computer and once again those CFE>-things gave the same result.

Connected to the mobo are my white Mac kb and Logitech trackball, through kvm, and the usbstick.
And of course a hdd, cdr and sdd.

Now off to bed.

johan
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

It will not help you,
but I have too a Mac keyboard (iMac 2006)
and it works well under MintPPC and Debian (install was OK with Ubuntu but no input in the first login screen after installation).
I used too USB stick and now, I use an internal CF card.
I used with success vmlinux3.9 and 3.5.7, but I don't have a SSD.

But I don't have a KVM, I use a USB wire extension to connect my keyboard to the rear upper left usb port)
And I have 2x2gb of ram.

To conclude, the Apple keyboard works (at least with a USB extension)
Good luck
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

I have a CF-Card inside , the 1TB Sata HDD a Sata-DVD/BluRay

HDD on sata0 is ide0.1: or sda (sda1-sda3 AmigaOS4.1.6) sda4 Linux sda5 Linux-Swap
DVD on sata2 is atapi0.1: sr0 (under Linux)
CF on X1000 is sdb
First USBstick is USBDISK0: a second USBstick will be USBDISK1:

My KVM-Switch are a Digitus DVI+Audio (Mic-In & Speaker-out) Workes fine.

I boot Linux with this bootargs 'setenv booratgs "root=/dev/sda4" ; boot -elf -noints -nousb -fs=fat cf0:vmlinux-3.5.7'

Maybe this help you a little ;)
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
Johan
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Johan »

Situation is getting worse: seems that installing Ubuntu (which went surprisingly smooth) corrupted the hdd. Mediatoolbox cannot read the hdd. It reports serious damage which Mtb can't repair. I still can read and write the Amiga-partitions on the hdd but not the Ubuntu-partitions. I am now in the proces of backing-up and then I'll have to format, I am afraid.

johan.
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

I upgrade to 2x2GB and my Linuxsystem run fine. No more selfkills.
With only one 2GB-Ram , Selfkill Partitions go korrupt after a normal reboot via " shutdown -r now "

I hope this helps
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

Johan wrote:At the end of the installation the system resets itself and I re-inserted the usbstick and did
CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sde5"
CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk1:vmlinux39pw-1.2
and that gives that scrolling Linux textlines.
This ends with: ata4: link online but 1 device misclassified, devicedetection might fail

Turning off and on the computer and once again those CFE>-things gave the same result
johan
Hmmm.. this sounds like the strange boot bug that I can't get to the bottom of. AFAIK it only occurs with 2G ram and iommu enabled, and only on some systems. Since iommu is needed to boot with more than 4G of ram installed I always enable it. To see if it is I've recompiled the kernel without iommu enabled, and stored it here:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/6/20/ ... .5.7ni.zip

You can give this a try if you like. NOTE this kernel WILL NOT BOOT with >2G ram installed!

Regards
Darren
Johan
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Johan »

Thank you Daz. The aforementioned failure occured while installing (or trying to install) Ubuntu.
Today I've tried your new kernel and Debian installed just fine. But I could not boot into Debian, after the install.
Systems says: " kernel panic - not syncing:VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,20)"

But at least my hdd is not corrupted this time.

johan
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Johan wrote:Systems says: " kernel panic - not syncing:VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,20)"
This is because it can't you find your root device to boot from. I got confused with this myself in the early days of Linux installation.

I posted this in another thread some time ago:-

The auto assignment of drive numbers by Linux is quite particular. If you are booting Linux from a USB HDD or flash drive which is NOT connected to the Primary Keyboard USB port , insert the device 5 seconds or so after you enter CFE. This ensures that the flash drive is given the last address in the sequence.

On my system for example, I have 3 SATA HDD and 1 PATA (IDE) plus the Compact Flash card. So my assignments are:-

sda1 SATA HDD
sdb1 SATA HDD
sdc1 SATA HDD
sdd1 IDE HDD
sde1 Compact Flash card

sdf1 USB Flash drive (because I connected the USB device after all the other drive assignments were made)

When I insert my USB device (after entering CFE) ny USB flash drive root is assigned to sdf1. If I remove one of the HDD etc then the USB Flash drive assignment will change

Incidentally my preferred boot method is to install the Linux kernel to the Compact Flash card cf0: and boot the kernel from that.

If you are booting Linux from one of the SATA or PATA HDD, that simplifies matters a lot since you don't have to worry about USB issues.

NOTE: some of the earlier Linux kernels do not include drivers for the Compact Flash card. Which can also change the drive numbering sequence.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'