Welcome to the AmigaONE X1000 Linux forum

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Welcome to the AmigaONE X1000 Linux forum

Post by trevordick »

Following a request from a few A1-X1000 owners, Linux support has been separated from AmigaOS 4 issues. (Thanks ssolie).

A updated version of the GNU/Linux installation guide (v2.5.1.7) will be uploaded to the download area on the A-EON Technology website in the near future. Among other minor changes it will also include emulating a Raspberry Pi on the AmigaONE X1000 and the Dual Graphic Card set-up MintPPC 11, along with the installation instruction for 8 other PowerPC Linux distributions.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
zzd10h

Re: Welcome to the AmigaONE X1000 Linux forum

Post by zzd10h »

Great,
thank for your work (by advance)
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
ggw

Post by ggw »

I would like to take the steps to put Linux on my X1000.

I logged into Hyperion and looked in the downloads for anything Linux related. I saw nothing.

I recall that I did not check a box that asked if I wanted Linux when I originally placed my order.

That was a reaction to how things went when I bought my AmigaOne. Only Linux was available at first. So I did the Linux thing. Then something like 2 years later Amiga Software arrived. I never booted Linux up again!

Spanning all of that time my job has been (and is) programming under (then) Sun Microsystems Solaris' unix. Oracle doesn't want customers like me, so I am making a stab at moving the important software to Linux. My desk at home will be MUCHLY improved if I can get rid of the Sun Blade 1000.

Advice for me, anyone?

George
George Wyche
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

ggw wrote:I would like to take the steps to put Linux on my X1000.

George

My personal advice, put linux on a separate hard drive.
I also recommend using Mint for a first install.

P.S. Perhaps you should start a new thread. :-)
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

ggw wrote:Spanning all of that time my job has been (and is) programming under (then) Sun Microsystems Solaris' unix. Oracle doesn't want customers like me, so I am making a stab at moving the important software to Linux. My desk at home will be MUCHLY improved if I can get rid of the Sun Blade 1000.

Advice for me, anyone?
Be aware of the differences between x86 Linuces and PPC Linuces, in terms of which software is available for them. For instance, although any new Oracle version usually is released on Linux before any other platform (e.g. Windows), it is only available for x86 Linux (officially, I believe, even only on RedHat et al.). Not on PPC. So if it was your intention to move your Oracle development to the X1000, you'd have to look for other solutions.

Best regards,

Niels
ggw

Post by ggw »

@Niels

I pretty much meant what I said. I want to part ways with what Sun Microsystems has become.

This is application software I am talking about. It has in the past successfully moved from PDP11 to VAX to Sun0S2 to Solaris. About 4 Christmases ago I spent enough time to port one of the utilities to my AmigaOne. It worked fine. I was surprised at how little in the way of ifdef in c was needed.

Each time it became more generic and orderly. I checked the GNU site for the pieces needed for availability on PPC based Linux. However, I never, ever believe in "Drop in replacement". I won't throw away this SunBlade until it is clear I can do without it. Even then it'll just go into the attic (in spite of how heavy it is).

My recent experience is that Linux (and what I see of the PPC offerings) is many months ahead of openCSW and Solaris Free Software.

Hence my desire to devote effort to move to Linux for the purposes of the application development.
George Wyche
ggw

Post by ggw »

@mechanic

I should of thought to go over to A-eon. I thought of it being a Hyperion thing.

Thanks

As I was new to Linux and didn't know about getting started.

I won't continue after this evening in this particular thread.
George Wyche
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

FYI:
Pasemilogo.png
Systems with PA6T processors:
  • Electra: First development/eval board. Funky USB on localbus, plenty
    of PCI-e. Two GigE, one 10GigE XAUI. CompactFlash and IDE on localbus
    too. Usually shipped with a PCI-e SATA card and a USB card.
  • Chitra: Second edition dev/eval board. Moved SATA and USB on-board,
    and removed some of the localbus hardware. Might have routed three
    GigE out instead of 2.
  • Athena: Never released board with a smaller package chip, there's
    only a few of these around. It's similar to Chitra, and the silicon is the same.
  • Nemo: Released as AmigaONE X1000. With co-processor: "Xena" 500 MHz XCore XS1-L2 124 SDS
    and SB600 southbridge. Is still in stock: amigakit.leamancomputing.com :-)
pasemi8.JPG
pasemi9.JPG
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.