Kernel 3.9

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
328gts

Re: Kernel 3.9

Post by 328gts »

[quote="xeno74"
xeno74 wrote:
328gts wrote:@xeno74

Which Linux distribution would you like to install?
Most stable one meaning one that I won't have to waste time reinstalling again for a while LOL

Oh and has 3d acceleration for my 6850
I recommend Lubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. It's very stable and has 3d acceleration. It also has new Mozilla software like Firefox 22.0 and Thunderbird 17.0.7. If you install Lubuntu then the X1000 feels like a PC. :D[/quote]

thanks! so are there any special installation instructions or do I just follow the same procedure as when installing Debian?
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

328gts wrote: thanks! so are there any special installation instructions
Yes, that's right. The Lubuntu installation is different to the standard Debian installation.

Here are the installations instructions for Lubuntu 12.04.2 (based on A-EON Linux manual Version 2.5.1.4
):

The installation instructions cover installing Lubuntu 12.04.2 LTS from a “netboot over the internet” installation from a single install image.
  1. Download and extract the kernel image and modules, vmlinux-3.9.0-2 and 3.9.0X1000

Downloads:

kernel-3.9.0-2-x1000.tar.gz
  2. Download the Ubuntu ramdisk image (initrd.gz) from:

http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/di ... /initrd.gz

and copy it to the USB Stick
  3. Turn on the AmigaONE X1000 and press F to boot to enter CFE prompt. Insert the USB stick.
  4. You can boot the installer using the commands below

Code: Select all

CFE> ramdisk –z –addr=0x24000000 –fatfs usbdisk0:initrd.gz
    CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/ramdisk"
    CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux-3.9.0-2

5. Select Language
  6. Select Your Location
  7. Detect Keyboard Layout. Select No and Pick from the list
  8. Configure Network
  9. Enter Hostname
  10. Select the Ubuntu Archive Mirror Country - [it is configured for the UK]
  11. Leave the HTTP Proxy parameter blank and press return – [there will now be a long delay]
  12. When prompted that no kernel modules were found select Yes to continue without loading them.
  13. The installer components will be retrieved from the Ubuntu mirror [this will take a long time]
  14. Enter your Full Name
  15. Enter your username for your account
  16. Enter your password and confirm
  17. Select No to Encrypt your home directory
  18. Confirm your time zone
  19. When prompted for module dm-mod leave the parameter blank and select continue
  20. Click Continue at the warning of “Software RAID not available”
  21. Click Continue at the warning of “Logical Volume Manager not available”
  22. You can now partition your disk.
    You must exercise caution when modifying your partition tables!
  23. The base system will now be retrieved from the mirror site and installed
  24. Select “Install security updates automatically”
  25. At the software selection screen you will be asked to select which *buntu flavour(s) you would
    like to install. You can install as many as you like. To install Lubuntu arrow down to the “Ubuntu with LXDE Desktop” option and press the space bar to mark the
    option. Now press return to continue.
  26. The additional packages required to install the full desktop will be retrieved and
    installed. - [this will take some time to complete depending on the speed of your internet connection ]
  27. At “Continue without boot loader” take note of your root partition.
  28. Select Yes to set confirm the system clock is set as UTC.
  29. Select Continue to finish the installation and reboot!
    Booting Ubuntu 12.04
    Press F to boot to enter CFE prompt. Remove if necessary and re-insert the USB stick containing
    the vmlinux-3.9.0-2 kernel and associated modules.
    Enter the following commands replacing the root partition (sdb9) with the ID of the partition where
    you installed Lubuntu
    CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb9"
    CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux-3.9.0-2
    You will see the following warning during boot:
    “Init: Failed to create pty – disabling logging for job”
    Note: This warning message will be repeated many times and is a bug on Ubuntu systems that do
    not use an initramfs during boot. However it is nothing to worry about as the problem will 'correct
    itself' later in the boot process.
    Copying the kernel modules
    Type ls /media and press return to view the mounted USB stick directory.
    Assuming it is mounted as usbstick type the following command to copy the modules to the
    /lib/modules directory.
    sudo cp -rv /media/usbstick/3.9.0X1000 /lib/modules and press return
    Enter your password and press return again.Type sudo shutdown –r now and press the return key to
    reboot the system again.
Screenshot:

Last edited by xeno74 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

@ xeno74
many thanks for the info :D looks like i won't be needing the iso i burned last night then
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
328gts

Post by 328gts »

@ xeno74

all went well with intructions up to the part after setting the linux partition. The base install was installing fine but taking very long and as it was late at night I went off to bed hoping to continue today.
problem is computer when I started again in the morning the computer had crashed. So the next step would have been to 'select "intsall securtiy updates automatically" according to your instructions & afterwards select ubuntu 'flavours'.

tried starting over again a few time but don't even get up to the Language screen as my X just reboots and hangs at the X000 splash screen. Any ideas as every thing was going fine right up to installing the base install ??
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Oh dear. Unfortunately I don't have any ideas currently. Maybe a wrong entry in the cfe boot menu I think. Does OS4.1 work without any problems? Can you boot OS4.1?

328gts

Post by 328gts »

xeno74 wrote:Oh dear. Unfortunately I don't have any ideas currently. Maybe a wrong entry in the cfe boot menu I think. Does OS4.1 work without any problems? Can you boot OS4.1?
no worries as AmigaOS is working and booting fine :D I had Debian already installed and working fine until it just stopped booting many months ago so my Linux partitions were already defined on my HD. anyhow was thinking that maybe the mirror download wasn't stable and eventually hung the system? I've tried the exact same steps but can't get back to the original setup screen again? or perhaps it timed out and just loaded all default options and then crashed while rebooting?

i wonder if the base install is ok & i just have to set the cfe commands for the root partition?? btw, i noticed that ubuntu didnt ask to set a swap partition like Debian did? anyhow will hack around some more before swearing to never use Linux again ;)
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

328gts wrote:
xeno74 wrote:Oh dear. Unfortunately I don't have any ideas currently. Maybe a wrong entry in the cfe boot menu I think. Does OS4.1 work without any problems? Can you boot OS4.1?
no worries as AmigaOS is working and booting fine :D
Thank goodness!
328gts wrote: i wonder if the base install is ok & i just have to set the cfe commands for the root partition??
You have to configure the kernel in the CFE. ;)

328gts

Post by 328gts »

fyi, here's the screen when i try to boot up the Linux partition where it hangs and reboots

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

328gts wrote:fyi, here's the screen when i try to boot up the Linux partition where it hangs and reboots

Could you try to install an another kernel for example kernel-3.8.7x1000.tar.gz, please?

328gts

Post by 328gts »

xeno74 wrote:
328gts wrote:fyi, here's the screen when i try to boot up the Linux partition where it hangs and reboots

Could you try to install an another kernel for example kernel-3.8.7x1000.tar.gz, please?

ok trying now with this kernel..fingers crossed