Moving gracefully from Debian back to AmigaOS

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Moving gracefully from Debian back to AmigaOS

Post by LyleHaze »

I recently found a solution, and thought I should document it somewhere. As this is the X1000 Linux forum, it seemed as correct a place as any.

The problem that I was trying to get around was simple, every time I went from Debian Squeeze back into AmigaOS, the menu selection
would "bomb out" and leave me looking at a CFE prompt. If this sounds familiar, please read on for the detailed symptoms and the fix that I found.

The Problem, in detail:

From Debian Squeeze, selecting "shutdown" from the LXDE menu would shut Debian down properly, and leave me with a text prompt saying
"System Halted, OK to turn off power". At that point I'd press the case reset, and the machine would reboot as normal.. except that
after making an initial selection from the CFE boot menu, I'd get "dumped" into a CFE command line with an error that looks something like

"could not load ide0.1:amigaboot.of Insufficient Memory"

Getting started again is simple enough.. enter "menu" and the menu would restart, a message would declare something like
"had to read data 256 times to clear DRQ"
And I would be back in business.

Not that it was much of a problem, but I tried a different option when exiting LXDE. Instead of "Shutdown" I tried "Reboot".
This made two changes: After Debian shuts down it will go directly into the CFE startup menu without needing a reset,
and the CFE menu works perfectly the first time!

It's not a big deal. and maybe everyone else has been doing it that way all along.. sometimes I make stupid mistakes all alone.
But I thought it worth posting in case anyone else has had the same issues. I did hear one person saying thay always power
down after running Linux.. If this was why, then maybe their day can be a bit simpler now.

When exiting LXDE, use "Reboot", not "Shutdown", unless you intend to turn your computer off.

Small steps forward.. ;)
zappa2009

Re: Moving gracefully from Debian back to AmigaOS

Post by zappa2009 »

Hm i have no Problems switching with Lunux to OS4.1.6 and back.
But i use a CF. Thats all.

Shutdown Debian and press the Reset-button CFE comes and i can boot OS4.1.6 or Linux again.
Power off thru the Powerbutton and wait 5 sek then repowerd my X1000. CFE boots again fine.

I checked this all back with my Serail-Debug. Always the same.

Dont know why. Its my RadeonHD5450 and my CF ?
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Moving gracefully from Debian back to AmigaOS

Post by LyleHaze »

zappa2009 wrote:Hm i have no Problems switching with Lunux to OS4.1.6 and back.
But i use a CF. Thats all.
I have compact flash for amigaboot.of and the Kernel, but the rest of Debian Is loaded from a hard drive.

As I said before, I don't know how many people might be affected.
I just posted what I found in case someone else is having the same issues.

Glad it's not a problem for you. :)