PCI PATA instead of "onboard" PATA?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
ggw

PCI PATA instead of "onboard" PATA?

Post by ggw »

Please take a glance at my proposed setup:
20130727proposal.gif
20130727proposal.gif (7.96 KiB) Viewed 8296 times
The "backup" master PATA drive does not need to be bootable. It would only have content for use with the AmigaOne.

***WHEN*** I am working on my very limited LINUX project I want to turn off the X1000, remove the removable "backup" PATA drive, put in the LINUX removeable master PATA drive, turn on the X1000, then perform a simple sequence to get to LINUX and start work.

So much for the plan. What is wrong with the plan?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have read most all the posts on this forum and consulted the A-Eon Debian installation PDF.
I'm afraid I read too much into the texts, so I am asking for reassurance about some points.

Broadly, there are 2 steps: 1) Create the Linux setup 2) Use the Linux setup.
I choose to run Debian Wheezy on a separate disk... the 80G PATA.

How to get there? Quoting the X1000 Firmware Guide:
Please note, to be recognized by CFE[..], hard drives or optical drives must be installed on the [..]X1000's SATA ports numbered 0 or 2 or on a supported SATA|PATA PCI card. The other port motherboard ports will not be recognized by CFE [..].
That (seems) to imply the Southbridge PATA port connector shown on TRM-NEMO-1.5 page 26 is useless? That is supported by the fact that the successful recognition of the removable backup master PATA by my AmigaOne is NOT duplicated on the X1000: not in CFE>show devices and not in the "SYSTEM:System/Media Toolbox". Even with the fancy data cable I got for it.
George Wyche
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Re: PCI PATA instead of "onboard" PATA?

Post by trevordick »

That is how my system is setup. I use a removable IDE/PATA HDD with various Linux distros installed.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

ggw wrote: That (seems) to imply the Southbridge PATA port connector shown on TRM-NEMO-1.5 page 26 is useless?
I don't use a removable drive, but I keep, and boot, all my kernels on a PATA HD.
The drive is set as Master and the first partition is a 4GB FAT 32. To load the kernels CFE sees it as ide1.0

I have 3 HDs on the SATA connectors so the PATA drive shows in Linux as sde.

(I need coffee.)
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
ggw

Post by ggw »

So the Southbridge PATA port connector shown on TRM-NEMO-1.5 page 26 is just for "pretties", yes or no?

(I'd like to hear about known, successful PCI cards supporting a PATA.)
George Wyche
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

ggw wrote:So the Southbridge PATA port connector shown on TRM-NEMO-1.5 page 26 is just for "pretties", yes or no?
No.

It is definitely functional.

Personally, I currently use it only for connecting a second DVD burner in addition to my SATA burner, but I'm pretty sure I have used it also for connecting a PATA HD for transfer purposes (under AmigaOS, using the sb600ide.device).

And as you can read from the previous posts:
trevordick wrote:I use a removable IDE/PATA HDD with various Linux distros installed.
(Trevor doesn't explicitly state that he is using the internal PATA socket for this, but since that it what was discussed, I assume so.)
mechanic wrote:I keep, and boot, all my kernels on a PATA HD.
The drive is set as Master and the first partition is a 4GB FAT 32. To load the kernels CFE sees it as ide1.0
(my emphasis)

So I don't know what makes you think the PATA connector is of no use? Have you tried it?

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I also have a second DVD drive connected to the MB PATA connector.

However, I can confirm that I can boot from it. I have booted the Install disk from that drive with the proper command in CFE (please don't ask me to remember what that was).
cheers
tony
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

(Trevor doesn't explicitly state that he is using the internal PATA socket for this, but since that it what was discussed, I assume so.)
Yes I was replying to the question. I do use the IDE/PATA connection on the Nemo motherboard. I switch between a removavble IDE disk carrier and a Catweasel Mk 2 which allows be to read and write Amiga floppies. :-)

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

ggw wrote:Please take a glance at my proposed setup:
20130727proposal.gif
The "backup" master PATA drive does not need to be bootable. It would only have content for use with the AmigaOne.

***WHEN*** I am working on my very limited LINUX project I want to turn off the X1000, remove the removable "backup" PATA drive, put in the LINUX removeable master PATA drive, turn on the X1000, then perform a simple sequence to get to LINUX and start work.
Interesting Idea, should be quite doable.

Depending on where you are keeping your Linux kernels there are several options.

CFE will see the IDE master drive as ide1.0: and if you partiton it with a MBR you can keep a complete setup on it. Add a boot menu option to boot from it.

If you've stored your Linux files on a cf card all you'll need is the linux dev that it appears as.

As long as you only select that menu item when the Linux disk is installed you shouldn't have any problems.

Be aware however that amigaboot.of - the bit that loads the kickstart will see you AmigaOne HDD, and will respect boot priorities, Make sure you set your SATA drive with a higher boot priority (Media Toolbox)

If you give us a bit more details we should be able to get you sorted out.

Regards
Darren