Debian time for Chicago Fights AmigaOS4 time

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
AlexC
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Debian time for Chicago Fights AmigaOS4 time

Post by AlexC »

ggw wrote: I embellished a commonly available program from the 1990s called rtc.c. It is really bent out of shape when IRQ 8 is not enabled for interrupts. Sure enough, (see below) it is true, but why is IRQ 8 required? Remains a mystery for the moment.
On x86 systems IRQ 8 is used by the rtc chip alarm to bring the system back on at a predefined time.
ggw

Re: Debian time for Chicago Fights AmigaOS4 time

Post by ggw »

AlexC wrote:On x86 systems IRQ 8 is used by the rtc chip alarm to bring the system back on at a predefined time.
You can see all of that on the Linux side with "cat /proc/drivers/rtc".

I now have a plan which was seems to be straight forward. I took the longest time to narrow down authoritative references that were current AND that took the time to be miminal with assumptions. If the plan works out I'll give the 2 worthwhile references next weekend.

The Plan:
AmigaOS4 owns the RTC and will be responsible for the 1 hour shifts that come with standard and daylight saving time.
I use Linux secondarily and intermittantly. Debian will read the RTC upon boot up into its System time using /etc/adjtime wherein the 3rd line consists of the word LOCAL. At an orderly shutdown Debian will write its System time back to the RTC. [I could intervene and stop that write back, but that interferes with "normal" operation.] I won't use any Debian packages that might otherwise cause a modification of the RTC. [I will quarantine the rtc.c program I enhanced last weekend.]

Quite simple eh? So, on Oct. 12 (Columbus Day here in the US) I expect to add SOLVED to the thread.
George Wyche