Debian time for Chicago Fights AmigaOS4 time

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
ggw

Debian time for Chicago Fights AmigaOS4 time

Post by ggw »

When I run Debian Squeeze with vmlinux3.10.0 the time is wrong. If I click on the time at the top, then on [Edit] then in Clock Preferences window click on [Time Settings], a Date&Time window appears that clearly shows a vertical bar through Texas, but the time is WRONG. I [Unlock] [Authenticate] correct the time by several hours,[Lock] close, close,...

When I reboot to Amiga OS ***the time is wrong*** by the amount that I changed the Linux time.

Anyone else had this problem? If not I'll guess its a purely Debian issue and pursue it in some sort of debian forum.
George Wyche
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Re: Debian time for Chicago Fights AmigaOS4 time

Post by trevordick »

I have not noticed this, but then I have not run Squeeze for quite some time. I will check it out when I get a chance.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

@ggw

You probably have linux configured to have the h/w clock set to GMT time while AmigaOS expects it to be local time.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

My solution to this is to let both Linux and AmigaOS fetch the time from an NTP server on startup. That way I don't really care what the system clock is saved as, I overwrite it anyway as soon as my system starts.

Best regards,

Niels
ggw

Post by ggw »

That is the solution. I'll give that a try.

I mistyped. I have Wheezy, not Squeeze. I can hardly wait for ..... suicidal squirrel.
nbache wrote:My solution to this is to let both Linux and AmigaOS fetch the time from an NTP server on startup. That way I don't really care what the system clock is saved as, I overwrite it anyway as soon as my system starts.

Best regards,

Niels
George Wyche
ggw

Post by ggw »

This LInux stuff is slow going!

I am wanting to get to the bottom of how to get Linux to properly understand that the hardware clock is set to local (standard) time. It suuuuure wants it to be UTC.

I embellished a commonly available program from the 1990s called rtc.c. It is really bent out of shape when IRQ 8 is not enabled for interrupts. Sure enough, (see below) it is true, but why is IRQ 8 required? Remains a mystery for the moment.

This simple command: "cat /proc/driver/rtc" produces

rtc_time : 23:20:16
rtc_date : 2013-09-30
alrm_time : 22:32:21
alrm_date : 2013-09-30
alarm_IRQ : no
alrm_pending : no
update IRQ enabled : no
periodic IRQ enabled : no
periodic IRQ frequency : 64
max user IRQ frequency : 64
24hr : yes
periodic_IRQ : no
update_IRQ : no
HPET_emulated : no
BCD : yes
DST_enable : no
periodic_freq : 64
batt_status : okay

Is all of that (except the date & time) the same for everybody else? Being reassured is part of the battle.
George Wyche
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

@ggw

I did some googling and found this:
To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the file /etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you happened to install your system to use local time, just change the variable to yes to start using UTC. It is best to reboot after editing /etc/default/rcS to get the changes effective.
The first sentence is rather confusing but I think it means that if you set the UTC variable to no it will use local time for h/w clock.

I.e. do "sudo nano /etc/default/rcS" find the line that says "UTC = yes" and change it to "UTC = no" and then save and reboot.

The entire text where I took the above quote from can be found here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/syste ... -time.html
ggw

Post by ggw »

salass00 wrote:@ggw
-SNIP-
The entire text where I took the above quote from can be found here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/syste ... -time.html
I did find that one. Note that it says at the top OBSOLETE. It means that. And I could not (have not yet) found what was supposed to supercede it.

====================
Still wondering if others get the same as me when I:

cat /proc/driver/rtc
George Wyche
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

ggw wrote: I did find that one. Note that it says at the top OBSOLETE. It means that. And I could not (have not yet) found what was supposed to supercede it.
Doesn't hurt to try though. The file and variable are still available on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system at least.
ggw

Post by ggw »

salass00 wrote:
ggw wrote: I did find that one. Note that it says at the top OBSOLETE. It means that. And I could not (have not yet) found what was supposed to supercede it.
Doesn't hurt to try though. The file and variable are still available on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system at least.
I'm getting closer! I wish I had more time than just the weekends to do this stuff...

Got this from Debian User Forums:
=====================================================================
In sid & wheezy the UTC variable in the /etc/default/rcS file isn't used anymore, it's now in the /etc/adjtime file.

snippet from `man rcS`

Code: Select all
NOTE
The EDITMOTD, RAMRUN and UTC variables are no longer used.

....The UTC setting is replaced by the UTC or LOCAL setting in /etc/adjtime, and should have been migrated automatically.
=======================================================================

Feels like a snipe hunt. Onward to adjtime!
George Wyche