Ubuntu LTS doesn't like its root directory

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
zappa2009

Re: Ubuntu LTS doesn't like its root directory

Post by zappa2009 »

I dont read from which Medium should start the Installation of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

For Install Linux you need a rootfs as the Ramdisk.
Which must generate before You can boot the Kernel.

After the Installationsprocess the Installer shows you the Bootarguments for CFE !
You see here the root directory of your new Linux-Installation !
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

lucaricossa wrote:...
I solved my problem reverting to the kernel 3.10.15. Here the steps.

Removed the CF card and inserted into an USB Card-reader (else the Amiga side can't see it). Copied onto it the 3.10.15 kernel.

Then put back the CF in its socket on the motherboard.
I just knew that someday I'd regret moving my SAM's HD to the X1000. I have a nice, internal card reader in the SAM.

I just ordered a cheap new USB 2 CF card-only reader from Amazon, 37½ stars, but details like this always scare me: "Support Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP /2003 , Linux 2.4.X , Mac OS 9.X." I don't seem to have any of those OSes lying around anywhere.

I'm hopefully assuming a reader is also a writer, although I got much different results googling "CF card writer."

(Now that I have ordered the new one, I wonder if I couldn't move the card reader from the SAM into the slot under the CD/DVD drive?)

Aloha,
Bart
Aloha,
Bart
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I found that once I'm in Ubuntu on my X1000, I can read and write to the CF card installed on the motherboard.
lucaricossa

Post by lucaricossa »

kilaueabart wrote: details like this always scare me: "Support Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP /2003 , Linux 2.4.X , Mac OS 9.X." I don't seem to have any of those OSes lying around anywhere.
They have to write it, else most people don't buy it. But if they say that it works with linux, mac, etc... it should also work in Amiga (there are a few exceptions). A card reader is usually also a writer :)
lucaricossa

Post by lucaricossa »

trevordick wrote: In most situations the USB drive should be inserted after you enter CFE otherwise it will not be recognised. That is why booting from a CF card is recommended.
If your Linux root directory is on an external USB drive again it must be inserted after you enter CFE. (There are exceptions)
Trevor
Exact, I have the kernel on CF and the system on the external usb hd
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

danbeaver wrote:I found that once I'm in Ubuntu on my X1000, I can read and write to the CF card installed on the motherboard.
OK, that worries me a little. Lucaricossa also referred to "[removing] the CF card," as if the X1000 comes with one in place. I have to move too much stuff to check on such things easily, so I won't look until tomorrow, but I assumed that one would have to supply his own and ordered one today.

On the other hand, if there is one, and I can figure out how to address it, I'll be able to finish up the installation tomorrow, without waiting for the orders to arrive.

But I'll also check whether I can install my SAM460's multicard reader in the X1000 while I have it open.
Aloha,
Bart
lucaricossa

Post by lucaricossa »

if you have a CF card already installed, it depends from the configuration you bought...
I wrote I had to remove it, because I bought one, installed one inside, but was unable to read it both Amiga side and Linux side...