A-eon's linux usb stick

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

A-eon's linux usb stick

Post by sundown »

I bought this usb linux stick a few years ago at Amiwest, it has Wheezy on it & booted ok all this time. Now I get a kernel panic & it stops, what I can't remember is if it required the kernel on the cf card. It did exist, but now I see the card has nothing on it, would this cause linux not to boot?

I also noticed there are several kernels on the usb stick & my linux command line seems to point to one to start. Kind of lost at this point.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: A-eon's linux usb stick

Post by daz »

sundown wrote:I bought this usb linux stick a few years ago at Amiwest, it has Wheezy on it & booted ok all this time. Now I get a kernel panic & it stops, what I can't remember is if it required the kernel on the cf card. It did exist, but now I see the card has nothing on it, would this cause linux not to boot?
These were designed to boot without the need for a CF card.

A kernel panic indicates it is finding the kernel all right, (There is one on the stick) but we need to know what the panic is..

I can think of 2 possibilities.

1) You've added or removed disks from your system causing the drive names to change - unable to find root - panic.

2) I don't remember if we got the HD6850 kernel patch onto these, have you upgraded your graphics card?
I also noticed there are several kernels on the usb stick & my linux command line seems to point to one to start. Kind of lost at this point.

Ken
Can you grab us a serial dump of the boot? Might help us diagnose the problem.

Regards
Darren
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

daz wrote:
sundown wrote:I bought this usb linux stick a few years ago at Amiwest, it has Wheezy on it & booted ok all this time. Now I get a kernel panic & it stops, what I can't remember is if it required the kernel on the cf card. It did exist, but now I see the card has nothing on it, would this cause linux not to boot?
These were designed to boot without the need for a CF card.

A kernel panic indicates it is finding the kernel all right, (There is one on the stick) but we need to know what the panic is..

I can think of 2 possibilities.

1) You've added or removed disks from your system causing the drive names to change - unable to find root - panic.

2) I don't remember if we got the HD6850 kernel patch onto these, have you upgraded your graphics card?

Ken
Can you grab us a serial dump of the boot? Might help us diagnose the problem.

Regards
Darren
I'm sure its a drive name problem, picture below shows my 2 sata drives & a 3rd one, assuming to be the linux stick (16 GB). I tried editing the drive ID, but nothing has worked so far, sdc1/sdd1/sde1, etc. I may have had an IDE drive connected at the time, CFE boot line had root=dev/sde1. I should put it back it & see what happens tomorrow.

How do I grab a dump of the boot text?

X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

I was emailed info on setting up the stick, thanks AmigaSociety. :-D

I was able to figure out the right drive ID (sdd1) & it now gets past the kernel panic, but then hangs with an error, something about the stick being read only.

Another problem, CFE gives me an "unrecognized" error with the line "root=/dev/sdd1 rootdelay=10" env, but continues to boot.

Seems linux isn't mean't for me, not that I ever used it anyway, just an option, can't say I'll miss it.

Ken
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I can't tell you to go ahead and do a HDD install from the Live Remix DVD to delve into Ubuntu, but after several attempts to learn Linux over the past 16 years, I'm making a serious effort at it with books, a notepad, reference cards and an open Web search page. I've been using and programming computers since 1974 and I will bloody grasp a functional ability to understand and fully use Ubuntu; unless, of course, it kills me.