Ubuntu 13

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
musa

Ubuntu 13

Post by musa »

Hello
I would like to know if there is anyone that has successfully install ubuntu 13.04 or 13.10. I can install but can not start Gdm or Lightdm. I can log in via terminal login but it is not possible to get either Lubuntu, gnome or kubuntu to open.
AmigaX1000
xeno74

Re: Ubuntu 13

Post by xeno74 »

musa wrote:Hello
I would like to know if there is anyone that has successfully install ubuntu 13.04 or 13.10. I can install but can not start Gdm or Lightdm. I can log in via terminal login but it is not possible to get either Lubuntu, gnome or kubuntu to open.
How have you installed Ubuntu 13.10/13.04?
At the software selection screen you will be asked to select which *buntu flavour(s) you would
like to install. You can install as many as you like. To install Lubuntu arrow down to the “Ubuntu with LXDE Desktop” option and press the space bar to mark the
option. Now press return to continue.
Have you selected the Ubuntu flavour?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
musa

Post by musa »

Hello
Many thanks for replying.
Does this mean that you have a Ubuntu 13.10 installation that works?
I already have Ubuntu 12.04 Lst and Ubuntu 12.10 installed.
It is therefore not the normal installation that is my problem.
I never reach a graphical login. I have only once came in, log in as root at the terminal login and install Lubuntu and Gdm. At the next login missing graphical login again and gdm will not start. I've tried to replace Gdm with Lightdm but without success.
I also tried all the other forms of ubuntu such as gnome and Kubuntu without success.
AmigaX1000
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

musa wrote:Hello
Many thanks for replying.
Does this mean that you have a Ubuntu 13.10 installation that works?
Yes, I had an installation last year. :-)

musa wrote: I never reach a graphical login. I have only once came in, log in as root at the terminal login and install Lubuntu and Gdm. At the next login missing graphical login again and gdm will not start. I've tried to replace Gdm with Lightdm but without success.
I also tried all the other forms of ubuntu such as gnome and Kubuntu without success.
Here are the installations instructions for Lubuntu 13.10 (based on A-EON Linux manual Version 2.5.1.4):

The installation instructions cover installing Lubuntu 13.10 from a “netboot over the internet” installation from a single install image.
  1. Download and extract the Ubuntu kernel image, vmlinux-3.13.2

Download: kernel-3.13.2-1-x1000-ubuntu-ppc64.tar.bz2
  2. Download the Ubuntu ramdisk image (initrd.gz) from:

http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/di ... /initrd.gz

and copy it to the USB stick
  3. Turn on the AmigaONE X1000 and press F to boot to enter CFE prompt. Insert the USB stick.
  4. You can boot the installer using the commands below

Code: Select all

CFE> ramdisk –z –addr=0x24000000 –fatfs usbdisk0:initrd.gz
    CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/ramdisk"
    CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux-3.13.2

5. Select Language
  6. Select Your Location
  7. Detect Keyboard Layout. Select No and Pick from the list
  8. Configure Network
  9. Enter Hostname
  10. Select the Ubuntu Archive Mirror Country - [it is configured for the UK]
  11. Leave the HTTP Proxy parameter blank and press return – [there will now be a long delay]
  12. When prompted that no kernel modules were found select Yes to continue without loading them.
  13. The installer components will be retrieved from the Ubuntu mirror [this will take a long time]
  14. Enter your Full Name
  15. Enter your username for your account
  16. Enter your password and confirm
  17. Select No to Encrypt your home directory
  18. Confirm your time zone
  19. When prompted for module dm-mod leave the parameter blank and select continue
  20. Click Continue at the warning of “Software RAID not available”
  21. Click Continue at the warning of “Logical Volume Manager not available”
  22. You can now partition your disk.
    You must exercise caution when modifying your partition tables!
  23. The base system will now be retrieved from the mirror site and installed
  24. Select “Install security updates automatically”
  25. At the software selection screen you will be asked to select which *buntu flavour(s) you would
    like to install. You can install as many as you like. To install Lubuntu arrow down to the “Lubuntu Desktop” option and press the space bar to mark the
    option. Now press return to continue.
    Software_selection.jpg
    (119.37 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
  26. The additional packages required to install the full desktop will be retrieved and
    installed. - [this will take some time to complete depending on the speed of your internet connection ]
  27. At “Continue without boot loader” take note of your root partition.
  28. Select Yes to set confirm the system clock is set as UTC.
  29. Select Continue to finish the installation and reboot!
    Booting Ubuntu 13.10
    Press F to boot to enter CFE prompt. Remove if necessary and re-insert the USB stick containing
    the vmlinux-3.13.2 kernel.
    Enter the following commands replacing the root partition (sdb9) with the ID of the partition where
    you installed Lubuntu

CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb9"
    CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux-3.13.2

You will see the following warning during boot:
    “Init: Failed to create pty – disabling logging for job”
    Note: This warning message will be repeated many times and is a bug on Ubuntu systems that do
    not use an initramfs during boot. However it is nothing to worry about as the problem will 'correct
    itself' later in the boot process.
  30. The x server has not been configured automatically on Lubuntu 13.10. You have to create manually a xorg.conf file.
    For example my xorg.conf file as attachement. I had the problem that the fonts were not displayed. The solution is to set the option "RenderAccel" to "false" in the xorg.conf file.
    xorg.conf.tar.gz
    Copy the xorg.conf to /etc/X11.
  31. Later, you could copy the Ubuntu kernel vmlinux-3.13.2 to the CF card and configure a CFE menu entry.

CFE> setenv -p MENU_2_LABEL "Lubuntu 13.10 with kernel 3.13.2"
    CFE> setenv -p MENU_2_COMMAND 'set pmu -astate=A4 ; setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb9 quiet ro splash" ; boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.13.2' 

musa

Post by musa »

Hello xeno74
Many thanks for your reply, but the answer is unfortunately not there.
My installation is progressing as it should and I perform all the things you describe. It is the method I have used several times for Ubuntu installations. I was a while convinced that there was a bug in ubuntu 13 ppc which made installation impossible, but when you complete an installation with normal boot afterwards so it must be something that goes wrong in my installation. I've heard that there in the PC version of Ubuntu 13 have been similar problems with desktop managers Gdm and Lightdm, but the solutions have not been something I could use.
But thanks for your try.
AmigaX1000
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

musa wrote:Hello xeno74
Many thanks for your reply, but the answer is unfortunately not there.
My installation is progressing as it should and I perform all the things you describe. It is the method I have used several times for Ubuntu installations. I was a while convinced that there was a bug in ubuntu 13 ppc which made installation impossible, but when you complete an installation with normal boot afterwards so it must be something that goes wrong in my installation. I've heard that there in the PC version of Ubuntu 13 have been similar problems with desktop managers Gdm and Lightdm, but the solutions have not been something I could use.
But thanks for your try.
Which graphics card is installed in your A1-X1000?

musa

Post by musa »

xeno74 wrote:
Which graphics card is installed in your A1-X1000?
Yes there might be something there. I got a Radeon HD 6870
AmigaX1000
musa

Post by musa »

I'm not proud to admit that I did not see it what you said about xorg.conf. :oops:
On re-reading, I realized that I have not try this . Ok I put this this file into /etc/X11 and started Ubunt 13 .
To my surprise it booted into graphic's login. Sadly I missing fonts so I can not see the writing but I came a little bit longer. 1000 thanks for the help :)
AmigaX1000
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

musa wrote:I'm not proud to admit that I did not see it what you said about xorg.conf. :oops:
On re-reading, I realized that I have not try this . Ok I put this this file into /etc/X11 and started Ubunt 13 .
To my surprise it booted into graphic's login. Sadly I missing fonts so I can not see the writing but I came a little bit longer. 1000 thanks for the help :)
Could you set the option "RenderAccel" to "true" in the xorg.conf file, please? Maybe this solves the problem with the fonts.

musa

Post by musa »

It did not help to change from false to true in Lubuntu.
In Kubuntu plasma I have fonts but not mice. Should maybe try a new installation
AmigaX1000