Confused with all the Kernel options

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
amigasociety

Confused with all the Kernel options

Post by amigasociety »

I am a happy owner of the Ubuntu 12.04 LT that I purchased on CD from A-Eon at Amiwest 2013.

Curious, when all these new kernels come out (3.14 as an example), do I supposed to replace the kernel all the time to be up to date?

Does this new 3.14 Kernel work with my Ubuntu 12.04LT I installed on my X1000?

Is it as simple as moving the new kernel onto my CF card and renaming it to the name of the kernel that is working right now and booting my X1000, then boot into Linux and it should just work without issue?

Confused about these kernel updates and how I should treat them, step by step.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
xeno74

Re: Confused with all the Kernel options

Post by xeno74 »

amigasociety wrote: Does this new 3.14 Kernel work with my Ubuntu 12.04LT I installed on my X1000?
Yes, it works. :-)
amigasociety wrote: Is it as simple as moving the new kernel onto my CF card and renaming it to the name of the kernel that is working right now and booting my X1000, then boot into Linux and it should just work without issue?
Here are the installation instructions for the new kernel 3.14.
  1. Download and extract the Linux kernel image, vmlinux-3.14

Download: vmlinux-3.14.0-AmigaOneX1000.tar.bz2

and copy the file vmlinux-3.14 to the cf card.
  2. Copy the whole directory 3.14.0_A-EON_AmigaOne_X1000_Nemo to /lib/modules.

Code: Select all

sudo cp -R 3.14.0_A-EON_AmigaOne_X1000_Nemo /lib/modules

3. Reboot Ubuntu and configure or edit a CFE menu entry.

Code: Select all

CFE> setenv -p MENU_2_LABEL "Ubuntu 12.04.4 with kernel 3.14"
    CFE> setenv -p MENU_2_COMMAND 'set pmu -astate=A4 ; setenv bootargs "root=/dev/<Your Ubuntu partition> quiet ro splash" ; boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.14' 

amigasociety wrote: Confused about these kernel updates and how I should treat them, step by step.
You don't need update the kernel, step by step. You could use the new kernel 3.14 immediately.

Information about our new kernels:

The new Ubuntu kernel 3.13.6 is a very stable kernel for our A-EON Live Remix DVD. It includes a lot of Ubuntu patches to boot a live DVD. It also includes other patches by Ubuntu. It doesn't have a kernel modules directory. It supports 3D acceleration with Radeon HD graphics cards and sound.

The new kernel 3.14.0 is a vanilla kernel from kernel.org. This is a latest kernel for our A1-X1000 computers. It has a kernel modules directory with some kernel modules for 3dfx Voodoo graphics cards and Bluetooth USB dongles. Additional it supports network for AROS hosted and 4 serial ports. Of course it supports 3D acceleration with Radeon HD graphics cards and sound.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

You say, "Reboot Ubuntu and configure or edit a CFE menu entry."

Is there really a way to edit the entry, other than retype the whole thing?

It took me forever to get my Ubuntu going because time after time I would have a typo somewhere in MENU_2_COMMAND.
Aloha,
Bart
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Press the keys more slowly and check your work before you turn it in. This counts as part of your final grade for this class.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:You say, "Reboot Ubuntu and configure or edit a CFE menu entry."

Is there really a way to edit the entry, other than retype the whole thing?

It took me forever to get my Ubuntu going because time after time I would have a typo somewhere in MENU_2_COMMAND.
Oh sorry, I meant only "configure" or set up a new MENU_2_COMMAND.

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Well, a guy can hope...

I'm also assuming, now, that when you wrote "Reboot Ubuntu and configure or edit a CFE menu entry" you meant restart the computer and go to firmware (type "F").
Aloha,
Bart
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: I'm also assuming, now, that when you wrote "Reboot Ubuntu and configure or edit a CFE menu entry" you meant restart the computer and go to firmware (type "F").
Yes, that's right. :-)

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

danbeaver wrote:Press the keys more slowly and check your work before you turn it in. This counts as part of your final grade for this class.
Maybe because of the "F" I had to type in to do it, I flunked!

I thought I proofread very carefully, but still ended up with "-fatsf" for the nth time. I must think that is a new sile fystem or something.
Aloha,
Bart
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

When all else fails, try to find a bit of humor in life -- even in failure. I had added new menu items for each kernel (at least 3) with a second installation on another drive to boot into so I can do a full backup of my primary. So now I get them mostly right; however, touch typing skills seemed unimportant in high school when I was using punch cards and old pain-in-the-arse teletype terminals (110 Baud). I mean, what were they thinking? You could type Morse code faster than that.
ggw

Post by ggw »

Maybe because of the "F" I had to type in to do it, I flunked!

I thought I proofread very carefully, but still ended up with "-fatsf" for the nth time. I must think that is a new sile fystem or something.
@kilaueabart

I'm with you. Its my "touch key typing" that I am too confident of. I *do* go back and read what I type. I know what I meant to type, and... that's what I see. If I'm VERY serious I spell what I typed outloud. Works everytime, but I'm not always alone.
George Wyche