Odd crash?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Odd crash?

Post by kilaueabart »

I was looking at an e-mag in Firefox in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS kernel 3.12. Suddenly the screen went black, then came on with "bart-desktop" in the upper left and about half-way down there was "bart" above a string requester for "Password" and below the latter, "Guest Session."

I have no idea what password I was supposed to supply, but it probably didn't matter. Every time I tried to move the cursor I got a new black screen with this reading material (I had to take a movie of it to get a chance to read it, it disappeared so quickly):

* Starting mDNS/DNS-SD daemon
* Starting bluetooth daemon
* Stopping save kernel message
* Stopping System V runlevel compatibility
* Starting network connection manager
* Starting crashreport submission daemon
* Starting CUPS printing spooler/server

I noticed a button in the upper right corner that looked like the one that offers "Shut down" and was able to get the cursor to it, and shut down properly. But is this cause for concern? Should I know a password to use in that requester? (I haven't relaunched yet.)
Aloha,
Bart
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Odd crash?

Post by daz »

kilaueabart wrote:I was looking at an e-mag in Firefox in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS kernel 3.12. Suddenly the screen went black, then came on with "bart-desktop" in the upper left and about half-way down there was "bart" above a string requester for "Password" and below the latter, "Guest Session."
That's an X-server crash and restart. usually nothing to worry about, they are quite rare which is good. Try to remember what you were viewing, as it will probably cause the same again.
I have no idea what password I was supposed to supply, but it probably didn't matter. Every time I tried to move the cursor I got a new black screen with this reading
That will be the one you supplied during install, and use for sudo operations
material (I had to take a movie of it to get a chance to read it, it disappeared so quickly):

* Starting mDNS/DNS-SD daemon
* Stopping save kernel message
* Stopping System V runlevel compatibility
* Starting network connection manager
* Starting crashreport submission daemon
* Starting CUPS printing spooler/server
Those are kernel messages on the VT the x-server is running on. They are not related to the crash.
I noticed a button in the upper right corner that looked like the one that offers "Shut down" and was able to get the cursor to it, and shut down properly. But is this cause for concern? Should I know a password to use in that requester? (I haven't relaunched yet.)
This is only a cause for concern if it happens again when you boot - unlikely but possible, try to reboot it and let us know if everything goes OK or not. If it asks for a password, try the one you selected during install, and see if the desktop loads.

There are ways into the system that don't require the desktop, but lets see if it still works first!

Hope this helps
Darren