Just how specific are these many initrd.gz?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
ggw

Just how specific are these many initrd.gz?

Post by ggw »

I have been going strictly with Debian Wheezy.
I am currently suspicious of my CF card, so I went back to the USB thumb on which I have Kernal 3.12.5,
There is no initrd.gz anywhere on usbdisk0:, so I have to get one from somwhere.

===== Question 1 of 2 ========
I *think* it /does/ matter which one I choose to use, no?
There is one on the old Debian iso that I burned to disk last summer. Would that one service ok?
I'd like to run the Linux (that was barely working because of only 1 Gig of memory it would seem) that is on an 80Gig ATA. I want to transfer that to a 2nd 1TB WD10EADS that I bought around Christmas. I have added that drive to the X1000's innards.

====== Question 2 of 2 =========
Now then. Do I need to worry about which is (probably) sda and which is sdb? Am I likely to over write my Amiga system if I am not careful?
George Wyche
xeno74

Re: Just how specific are these many initrd.gz?

Post by xeno74 »

ggw wrote:I have been going strictly with Debian Wheezy.
I am currently suspicious of my CF card, so I went back to the USB thumb on which I have Kernal 3.12.5,
There is no initrd.gz anywhere on usbdisk0:, so I have to get one from somwhere.

===== Question 1 of 2 ========
I *think* it /does/ matter which one I choose to use, no?
There is one on the old Debian iso that I burned to disk last summer. Would that one service ok?
I'd like to run the Linux (that was barely working because of only 1 Gig of memory it would seem) that is on an 80Gig ATA. I want to transfer that to a 2nd 1TB WD10EADS that I bought around Christmas. I have added that drive to the X1000's innards.

====== Question 2 of 2 =========
Now then. Do I need to worry about which is (probably) sda and which is sdb? Am I likely to over write my Amiga system if I am not careful?
Use a new initrd.gz that is located on the installation ISO.

Download ISO: debian-7.4.0-powerpc-netinst.iso

Insert the Debian install CD/DVD into the optical disk drive and type the following CFE command:

Code: Select all

CFE> ramdisk -z -addr=0x24000000 -fs=iso atapi0.1:install/powerpc64/initrd.gz
Next we must set the boot arguments . Type the following CFE command:

Code: Select all

CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/ramdisk"
For the further installation instructions, look in the AmigaONE X1000 Debian Squeeze installation guide.

Good luck!
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
ggw

Post by ggw »

Hi,

It is always good to go over again how to do those things.

It doesn't answer my questions, though.

I am quite happy to take an http: reference to go seek answers.

At worst case we end-run (American foot ball term) my question by doing as you have pointed out. I did start on that route, before I got cold feet and posted my questions.

For the moment it suits me to entertain the idea of... instead of my X1000... see if it is an OK thing to put Debian Wheezy on my wife's abandoned mac iBook. Speed it not an issue for the task I wish to put to Debian. This ibook satisfies my high desire to conserving desk space.

George
George Wyche
ggw

Post by ggw »

If its any consolation, the iBook is just a painful as the X1000 has been.
The iBook (suggested install) has NO problems with having only 768 Megabytes of memory. That being so, how come it was recommended here to get 4 Gigabyes of memory for Linux on the X1000.... which I did?
ggw wrote:Hi,

It is always good to go over again how to do those things.

It doesn't answer my questions, though.

I am quite happy to take an http: reference to go seek answers.

At worst case we end-run (American foot ball term) my question by doing as you have pointed out. I did start on that route, before I got cold feet and posted my questions.

For the moment it suits me to entertain the idea of... instead of my X1000... see if it is an OK thing to put Debian Wheezy on my wife's abandoned mac iBook. Speed it not an issue for the task I wish to put to Debian. This ibook satisfies my high desire to conserving desk space.

George
George Wyche