Lubuntu 14.10 beta 1 is working with the following limit

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Srtest

Re: Lubuntu 14.10 beta 1 is working with the following limit

Post by Srtest »

xeno74 wrote:
Srtest wrote: Of course. I especially want to focus on the second pic as I've forgotten something important: look at what is marked with an arrow in the bottom of the screen it is an important setting in VLC to get the smoothest playback. Normally the default selection gives you lackluster results if you even can get the video to play. When it is set to VA-API DRM everything works as it should even with the composite+cairo effects. I have trouble getting the default Mplayer to work in this Lubuntu version so VLC becomes very important in normal playback of videos and in video streaming with the Viewtube script (http://isebaro.com/viewtube/?ln=en) even though you can still use the latest Minitube which does use Mplayer with DirectFB so maybe its is an Mplayer OGL issue.
Hi Srtest,

Thank you for the screenshots. Unfortunately VA-API doesn't work on my Lubuntu 14.10 and Debian Sid. I get the following error message if I want to play a video:

Code: Select all

[f24072b0] vaapi_drm generic error: Failed to initialize the VAAPI device
first system:

Debian Sid with kernel 3.17.2
Unofficial Mesa 10.0.4
VLC media player 2.2.0-rc1 Weatherwax
VA-API over DRM
mesa-vdpau-drivers 10.3.2-1
libvdpau1 0.8-3
vdpauinfo 0.1-2

Second system:

Lubuntu 14.10 with kernel 3.17.2
Unofficial Mesa 10.0.4
VLC media player 2.2.0-pre2 Weatherwax
VA-API over DRM
mesa-vdpau-drivers 10.3.2
libvdpau1 0.7-2
vdpauinfo 0.1-1

sudo dpkg -r libvdpau1-drivers-mesa

sudo dpkg -i mesa-vdpau-drivers_10.3.2-0ubuntu0.1_powerpc.deb

sudo dpkg -i libvdpau1_0.7-2_powerpc.deb
Any ideas? Can you play 1080p videos?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
Weird, I followed the instructions you posted and even moved like you from 14.04 to a beta state 14.10 before updating to the final one. Maybe when fixing Mesa you use the libgl1-mesa-dri_8.0.4-0ubuntu0.7_powerpc.deb file and I use the libgl1-mesa-dri_10.1.3-0ubuntu0.2_powerpc.deb one.

I don't think va-api has anything to do with vdpau which is an Nvidia developed codec and as far as I have tested doesn't work on the X1000.

My config is tested on both the stable 3.17 kernel and the developmental 3.18 you're releasing weekly and I can play 1080p smoothly both on regular media files (not tested on DVDs) and on video streaming sites that are enabled with the Viewtube script. I am also using the VLC 2.2.0-pre2 version like you do. Make sure you use the OGL GLX codec in the primary codec menu along with the VA-API DRM.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote: Weird, I followed the instructions you posted and even moved like you from 14.04 to a beta state 14.10 before updating to the final one. Maybe when fixing Mesa you use the libgl1-mesa-dri_8.0.4-0ubuntu0.7_powerpc.deb file and I use the libgl1-mesa-dri_10.1.3-0ubuntu0.2_powerpc.deb one.

I don't think va-api has anything to do with vdpau which is an Nvidia developed codec and as far as I have tested doesn't work on the X1000.

My config is tested on both the stable 3.17 kernel and the developmental 3.18 you're releasing weekly and I can play 1080p smoothly both on regular media files (not tested on DVDs) and on video streaming sites that are enabled with the Viewtube script. I am also using the VLC 2.2.0-pre2 version like you do. Make sure you use the OGL GLX codec in the primary codec menu along with the VA-API DRM.
OK, I installed the package libgl1-mesa-dri_10.1.3-0ubuntu0.2_powerpc.deb and 3D acceleration works. I tested it with SuperTuxKart.

But video decoding doesn't work via my AMD Radeon HD 6870. Which graphics card do you have? Does the video decoding work via your graphics card?

The strange thing is, that vainfo finds the r600 driver:

libva info: VA-API version 0.35.1
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/dri/r600_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.1)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API - 0.7.4
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG4Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Baseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
But the VLC media player doesn't find the r600 driver.

export LANG=C

vlc

VLC media player 2.2.0-pre2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.0-pre1-15-g5178b24)
[100140d0] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns -1
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)
[f2116ef0] vaapi_drm generic error: Failed to initialize the VAAPI device
I don't know why vlc doesn't get the driver name. Vainfo found the driver name.

grep -i vdpau /var/log/Xorg.0.log

[  5203.635] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: r600
I tried out the new mpv player. But it doesn't work either.

mpv /media/christian/9f6d7b2a-63ca-4651-a3d2-d610dde73ce9/home/christian/Videos/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov --hwdec=vdpau --vo=opengl-hqPlaying: /media/christian/9f6d7b2a-63ca-4651-a3d2-d610dde73ce9/home/christian/Videos/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov
File tags:
 major_brand: qt  
 minor_version: 537199360
 compatible_brands: qt  
 creation_time: 2008-05-27 18:40:35
[stream] Video (+) --vid=1 (*) (h264)
[stream] Audio (+) --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (aac)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Srtest wrote:Make sure you use the OGL GLX codec in the primary codec menu along with the VA-API DRM.
I don't find OGL GLX. I think you mean OpenGL GLX video output (XCB), don't you?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

mpv /media/christian/9f6d7b2a-63ca-4651-a3d2-d610dde73ce9/home/christian/Videos/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov --hwdec=vaapi --vo=opengl-hq 
Playing: /media/christian/9f6d7b2a-63ca-4651-a3d2-d610dde73ce9/home/christian/Videos/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov
File tags:
libva info: User requested driver 'vdpau'
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/dri/vdpau_drv_video.so

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote: I don't think va-api has anything to do with vdpau which is an Nvidia developed codec and as far as I have tested doesn't work on the X1000.
I'm not sure.
AMD's hardware UVD is used by Mesa's VDPAU. It contains VDPAU bindings for r300, r600 and radeonsi, for VA API there is a VDPAU backend.
VDPAU vs VAAPI relationship

We have two very similar pages, VDPAU and VA-API, with no clear description of the relationship between VDPAU and VAAPI.

Basically, open source ATI drivers (ati-dri), open source NVIDIA drivers (nouveau-dri) and proprietary NVIDIA drivers (nvidia-utils) support natively VDPAU, whereas the Intel drivers (intel-dri) and proprietary ATI drivers (catalyst-utils) support natively VAAPI. Then, to fill in the missing support, there is libvdpau-va-gl to use VAAPI as a backend for VDPAU, and libva-vdpau-driver to use VDPAU as a backend for VAAPI.

Srtest

Post by Srtest »

xeno74 wrote:
Srtest wrote: Weird, I followed the instructions you posted and even moved like you from 14.04 to a beta state 14.10 before updating to the final one. Maybe when fixing Mesa you use the libgl1-mesa-dri_8.0.4-0ubuntu0.7_powerpc.deb file and I use the libgl1-mesa-dri_10.1.3-0ubuntu0.2_powerpc.deb one.

OK, I installed the package libgl1-mesa-dri_10.1.3-0ubuntu0.2_powerpc.deb and 3D acceleration works. I tested it with SuperTuxKart.

But video decoding doesn't work via my AMD Radeon HD 6870. Which graphics card do you have? Does the video decoding work via your graphics card?

The strange thing is, that vainfo finds the r600 driver:

libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/dri/r600_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.1)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API - 0.7.4
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG4Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Baseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
But the VLC media player doesn't find the r600 driver.

export LANG=C

vlc

VLC media player 2.2.0-pre2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.0-pre1-15-g5178b24)
[100140d0] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns -1
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)
[f2116ef0] vaapi_drm generic error: Failed to initialize the VAAPI device
I don't know why vlc doesn't get the driver name. Vainfo found the driver name.

grep -i vdpau /var/log/Xorg.0.log

[  5203.635] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: r600
I tried out the new mpv player. But it doesn't work either.

mpv /media/christian/9f6d7b2a-63ca-4651-a3d2-d610dde73ce9/home/christian/Videos/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov --hwdec=vdpau --vo=opengl-hqPlaying: /media/christian/9f6d7b2a-63ca-4651-a3d2-d610dde73ce9/home/christian/Videos/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov
File tags:
Srtest wrote:Make sure you use the OGL GLX codec in the primary codec menu along with the VA-API DRM.
I don't find OGL GLX. I think you mean OpenGL GLX video output (XCB), don't you?
Yes I mean the OpenGL GLX video output (XCB).

You can always try the vdpau directly with many players and see that it doesn't work and its updates always show with relation to Nvidia or (lately) Intel developments. Maybe the VA-API used as a layer for the VDPAU? if everthing goes through such process I guess that's some kind of complicated stuff.

I have a Sapphire HD5870 1GB and everything works (there are frame rate fluctuations when I try with compositing effects enabled between the latest range of kernels) except for Mplayer and its various frontends (the great SMPlayer) which is weird and doesn't relate to anything I can notice as Minitube works normally. By the Way, 1080P on Minitube works exceptionally well just like the stuff that normally run on Mplayer.

I thought of something. I've gone over all the advanced settings of VLC because I've been using it for ages and maybe somewhere I changed something and I don't remember. Try to go over all of the settings (it's also fun...) and see if you can notice something to test on/off.

Lastly, HTML5 default above 360P is really slow compared to previous installations. Hope it doesn't mean bad things for Power Lubuntu.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote:

You can always try the vdpau directly with many players and see that it doesn't work and its updates always show with relation to Nvidia or (lately) Intel developments. Maybe the VA-API used as a layer for the VDPAU? if everthing goes through such process I guess that's some kind of complicated stuff.

I have a Sapphire HD5870 1GB and everything works (there are frame rate fluctuations when I try with compositing effects enabled between the latest range of kernels) except for Mplayer and its various frontends (the great SMPlayer) which is weird and doesn't relate to anything I can notice as Minitube works normally. By the Way, 1080P on Minitube works exceptionally well just like the stuff that normally run on Mplayer.

I thought of something. I've gone over all the advanced settings of VLC because I've been using it for ages and maybe somewhere I changed something and I don't remember. Try to go over all of the settings (it's also fun...) and see if you can notice something to test on/off.

Lastly, HTML5 default above 360P is really slow compared to previous installations. Hope it doesn't mean bad things for Power Lubuntu.
I think the access to the UVD works but I have a black screen video output if I try to use VDPAU (UVD). Another hint, please.

Srtest

Post by Srtest »

xeno74 wrote:
Srtest wrote:

I think the access to the UVD works but I have a black screen video output if I try to use VDPAU (UVD). Another hint, please.
The hint is that it doesn't work...

Perhaps the focus should be on web technologies and the next Lubuntu version especially the QT next version as they didn't even compile a working version for X1000 users, that according to latest news are the only ones not suffering a frame rate hit on recent AMD GPU drivers changes.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote: The hint is that it doesn't work...

Perhaps the focus should be on web technologies and the next Lubuntu version especially the QT next version as they didn't even compile a working version for X1000 users, that according to latest news are the only ones not suffering a frame rate hit on recent AMD GPU drivers changes.
Thank you for your answer. Some full HD 1080p videos work with the mpv player on my AMIGA one X1000. For example the movie 'big_buck_bunny_1080p_surround.avi'.