A-Eon Live 12.04 LT DVD no work with Radeon R9 270

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
amigasociety

A-Eon Live 12.04 LT DVD no work with Radeon R9 270

Post by amigasociety »

So I own the A-Eon Live DVD purchased at Amiwest in 2013. Worked fine with my then 4650 video card. I am guessing this is a video card issue but now with a simple change from 4650 to an R9 270 (worked well with Amiga OS), the live DVD will not boot.

I get the Ubuntu screen with counting dots but then the screen goes black and that is it.

So heads-up... appears newer cards that may work well with radeon 1.2 in Amiga OS (R9 270 in my case) appear not to work in linux.

So, anyone have any remedy for this? Need to now re-install Ubuntu since my hard drive install also does the same thing as the Live DVD.

But, Live DVD no boot so.... what next?

Thanks

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: A-Eon Live 12.04 LT DVD no work with Radeon R9 270

Post by sundown »

I also changed from a 4850 to an r9 270 & get the same results with the a-eon linux dvd, tries to boot, but times out & the monitor turns off. Using kernel 3.15.10 & not a linux expert.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

There is a new kernel available with 7850 <-> R9 270 (Pitcrain) 2D support for our A-EON Live Remix DVD.

kernel-3.13.16-1-x1000-ubuntu-ppc64.tar.bz2

You can boot the new kernel 3.13.16 from the CF card with your Live Remix DVD with these following commands:
CFE> ramdisk -addr=0x24000000 -fs=iso atapi0.1:casper/powerpc64/initrd
CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/ramdisk file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet ro splash --"
CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.13.16
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Xeno, I have not done any kernel changes or anything like this before.

I take it the commands you sent, once I get that new kernel onto the CF Card, will then boot the DVD again? I can then use as a Live DVD that way, re-install the linux if need be, etc....

Do I need to type these 3 commands everytime I want to run LIVE DVD or just once?

Is it possible to just get this new kernel somehow set in my current CFE so I can use the Ubuntu I have already installed on my hard drive?

Thinking I need to #1 copy the new kernel to the CF Card. SInce I can't boot to linux, I will need to remove my CF card and copy the kernel to it from my Mac or PC linux box. Then slap it back in the X1000, adjust my CFE current setting to use this kernel instead, and then it all boot?

If that makes sense.

Would be nice to also make a new DVD or is that not needed as the kernel will be on CF Card and not the DVD anyway?

I will re-read the steps you discussed long ago in a different thread for 3.14 kernel but I take it we don't want that one but the 3.13.16 (older one I take it?)

TJ
Last edited by amigasociety on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

Thanks a bunch, I'll give the new kernel a try later tonight. :-D

Cheers, Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

amigasociety wrote:Thinking I need to #1 copy the new kernel to the CF Card. SInce I can't boot to linux, I will need to remove my CF card and copy the kernel to it from my Mac or PC linux box. Then slap it back in the X1000
Or get FE and do it all from AmigaOS, on the X1000.

Best regards,

Niels
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

@nbache
"Or get FE and do it all from AmigaOS, on the X1000."

Do you mean that FE have the driver to exploit the embedded CF Slot ?

Thank you
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

zzd10h wrote:@nbache

Thank you
I think not but will have a look at it.
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

amigasociety wrote: Do I need to type these 3 commands everytime I want to run LIVE DVD or just once?
You need these everytime if you want to run the Live Remix DVD. But you can permanently add a Live Remix DVD boot option with these 3 commands to the “Boot Menu” if you like. ;-)
amigasociety wrote: Is it possible to just get this new kernel somehow set in my current CFE so I can use the Ubuntu I have already installed on my hard drive?
Yes, of course. :-)

Installation instructions:
  1. To access the CFE environment you must press the 'F' key before the timer bar runs down. You can also pause the timer by pressing the <space bar>. Once in CFE you can check the pre-set CFE variables on your system by typing the following command:

Code: Select all

CFE> printenv

This will list all your firmware variables.
  2. To permanently add the A-EON Live Remix boot option to the “Boot Menu” you need to set-up the
    MENU_LABEL and MENU_COMMAND. (Note: commands in CFE are case sensitive).

Code: Select all

setenv -p MENU_2_LABEL "A-EON Live Remix kernel 3.13.16"

Screen output:
    *** command status = 0
  3. Code: Select all

setenv -p MENU_2_COMMAND 'set pmu -astate=A4 ; setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sd<LINUX PARTITION> quiet ro splash" ; boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.13.16'

Screen output:
    *** command status = 0
    You can type anything for the MENU_LABEL. e.g. “Live Remix”, “Linux Boot”, “Alien OS” etc. To check your new menu commands have been properly created, type printenv again and you should see the new variables appended to the end of the list of items. You only need 'set pmu -astate=A4 if you don't have "speed" with "set pmu -astate=A4" configured in your CFE. ;-)
  4. To activate the “Boot Menu” type “menu” and use the arrow keys to select and highlight “2: A-EON Live Remix kernel 3.13.16” before the timer bar runs down.
amigasociety wrote: Would be nice to also make a new DVD or is that not needed as the kernel will be on CF Card and not the DVD anyway?
First, the new DVD will be released soon in AMIStore. Screenshot of the new A-EON Live Remix DVD:
kernel_3.13.16_A-EON_Live_Remix_DVD.jpg
Second, if you use the live mode then you don't need an installed kernel on CF card. But if you want to use a new kernel for the live mode or for an installed Live Remix distribution, then I would recommend to install the kernel on the CF card.

Just for info: The kernel 3.13.16 isn't an old kernel. Canonical extends the support for the Linux kernel 3.13 until April 2016. Link: Canonical-Extends-the-Support-for-Linux-Kernel-3-13-Until-April-2016-439185.shtml.

Have a lot of fun with testing the new LTS kernel. :-)

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

tommysammy wrote:
zzd10h wrote:@nbache

Thank you
I think not but will have a look at it.
It does. If I amiga format the card, it shows on the WB, if I FAT format on a PC, it doesn't show. And thats my problem right now, the DVD docs say the card must be FAT16 or ext4 formated, nor do I have any idea what files are needed on it. I did copy the 3 files to the card, but no luck getting the kernel to work yet. Seems to be a card format issue, I'm sure it was FAT2 (32) formated when it worked. This would be a lot easier if CFE was easy to work with, not sure its worth my time with the few times I use linux. One option is to pull the gfx card & go back to the 4850 that worked, get the new kernel working & switch back to the 270. Not having fun here....

Update: I got my cf card working again, put kenel 3.15.10 on it & it tried to boot my HD install, but just got the black screen. I then booted with kernel 3.13.16, it found the kernel, but no boot & it just timed out.

Ken