A small update

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: A small update

Post by nexus »

That's nice, xeno74!

are there somewhere any information about which modules are *indispensable* for operating the X1000?
So I'd be interested in those modules that are needed to keep all on-board devices (--especially sound) + radeon gfx cards functional.

I have not yet looked into the kernel configuration files -- maybe the choices are obvious? - but maybe someone has already put together all this information, too?
I also wonder which drivers have to be compiled into the kernel and which can be compiled as modules that are loaded on demand after booting (-- in this way, we could keep the kernel small *AND* provide all functionality and features to users who need them :) )

cheers,
nexus
mechanic

Re: A small update

Post by mechanic »

My kernels are about 1/4 to 1/3 smaller than the ones necessary for general distribution, but they are also tuned to the equipment in my computer and not really suited to every X1000 out there. In other words, if I add a different video/sound/gizmo card it will be necessary to build a new kernel,,,,but, thats part of the fun.

There are enough people here that can guide your adventure, and as long as you follow a few steps even building and installing a bad kernel won't destroy your installation.

If you care to give it a go we will need some info about your computer.

Video card(s)?
Sound card(s)?
Where will you be booting from. (CF0) (Harddrive)?

You will need to install some software to do the job.

gcc
make
ncurses5
ncurses5 -dev
and their dependencies, which should be done automatically.

It would be best to start a new thread......and don't be in a hurry.

:) :)
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.