"Two" many Ubuntus

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

"Two" many Ubuntus

Post by kilaueabart »

When I first set up Ubuntu on my X1000 I did it on a hard drive moved over from my old SAM. Over 50% of the disk remained unused, but I let Ubuntu take all that remained. I had plenty more space on the newer drive.

Apparently when I stupidly fell for that Trusty Tahr thing, or when I reinstalled 12.04, I carelesly let all the empty space on the newer drive get used up too, so now I have huge Ubuntu partitions on both disks.

Presumably I am actually using only one of them. Is there any way to figure out which? I think it would then be safe to reformat the other one.

Ideally, Ubuntu would reside on the older disk, or in a smaller partition of the newer one. I suspect there is no easy way to do that, but I'm usually wrong about things so I have faint hopes.
xeno74

Re: "Two" many Ubuntus

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:When I first set up Ubuntu on my X1000 I did it on a hard drive moved over from my old SAM. Over 50% of the disk remained unused, but I let Ubuntu take all that remained. I had plenty more space on the newer drive.

Apparently when I stupidly fell for that Trusty Tahr thing, or when I reinstalled 12.04, I carelesly let all the empty space on the newer drive get used up too, so now I have huge Ubuntu partitions on both disks.

Presumably I am actually using only one of them. Is there any way to figure out which? I think it would then be safe to reformat the other one.

Ideally, Ubuntu would reside on the older disk, or in a smaller partition of the newer one. I suspect there is no easy way to do that, but I'm usually wrong about things so I have faint hopes.
First, you need to know on which partition you are. Boot your current Linux system and open a shell (terminal). Type the following command:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep root

Code: Select all

[          0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda4
You will see the partition name. In this example /dev/sda4.

On the A-EON Live Remix DVD there is an installer with a graphical partition editor. If you have selected ‘Something Else’ in the installer you will be presented with the partition screen and you could partition your disk manually.

Another way is, to use GParted.
  1. Make a Backup of as much as possible if you have the space on an external drive, usb or cd/dvd.
  2. Open GParted.
  3. Right-click on the Linux Partition.
  4. Select Resize.
  5. Shrink or Delete the Linux Partition.
  6. Click Apply (tick at the right of the icons along the top, this might take a while, and you can't undo or stop it half-way through).
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.