Ubuntu trashed

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Ubuntu trashed

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Good! ".conf" and ".patch" sound important, but maybe I should assume those are just data on how the kernel was fixed up?
The patch file fix the kernel so that it works on the X1000. The conf file configures the kernel.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:A new curiousity. I can't even see the CF card from my backup 4.1u6 anymore.
Anymore? Hopefully you never could, since the driver wasn't released until Final Edition.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:Looking at the output you posted I would say the filesystem is trashed, it could also be the drive or a loose connection/bad cable.

You could check the drive with one of the USB Linux systems or use the install CD to see if the filesystem is still good, as long as you do not tell the install system to 'write to disk' it should not hurt anything. Be sure to use the Manual disk prep option, not the ones that will automatically partition and format the drive.
Too busy trying to solve FE problems to get to this until today. I probably shouldn't have been surprised to find that NTFS and the CF card are available from the DVD version, but it was nice.

Looking at partitions from the install program was very interesting:

/dev/sda1 affs7 121MB
/dev/sda[1~6, suzes noted, usage amount unknown]
free space 387062MB
/dev/sda7 290298MB
/dev/sda8 swap 2014MB
/dev/sda9 ntfs
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdc
/dev/sdc1 fat32 3993MB [size] 108MB [used]

I had Ubuntu installed on /dev/sdb7, but the install device apparently doesn't see any partitions on that disk.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what /dev/sdc is. Could that be the CF card?

Now I have to go back to AmigaOS and see what it has to say about disks and partitions.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:
Meanwhile, I have no idea what /dev/sdc is. Could that be the CF card?
Yes, it is. ;-)
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Now I have to go back to AmigaOS and see what it has to say about disks and partitions.
Just my advice, for whatever it's worth.

Looks like you had /sdb formatted by amiga. sdb7?

Put linux on a drive by itself. Never try to mount an amiga drive under linux, and never mount a linux drive from amigaos. Especially if you use ext4 on Linux.

Especially do not try to transfer files directly between the two. Most times it will work, but it only takes once to mess up the journal on the other system and POOF!....gone.

When I build my linux kernels I don't include amiga filesystem anymore since the only affs partition is the small boot partition on my amiga drive and there is no reason to mess around in that from linux.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:

Put linux on a drive by itself. Never try to mount an amiga drive under linux, and never mount a linux drive from amigaos. Especially if you use ext4 on Linux.
Some things I don't understand, but nothing new there.

I set up Ubuntu quite a while ago, and don't remember exactly what I did, but I had moved a disk from my old SAM460 to the X1000 as an easy way to save a number of partitions with data I wanted to keep. Over 700GB, about 2/3 of the disk, had never been formatted. Somehow I apparently got the Ubuntu installer to use that area, following six used partitions, for the installation, and told me it was "sdb7" so I could set up the proper CE command.

I see from my photos of the error messages that sdb7 is associated with an "ext4," but I have no idea what or why that is. Whatever, it worked for many months.

So far as I know, I haven't (couldn't?) mount Linux from AOS or vice versa. Or transfer files from one to the other, unless you are referring to my NTFS partition (which I am dismayed to discover OS4.1FE can't even see!)

I suppose now I must decide whether Unix is important enough for me to add another hard drive. Mostly I just used its browser for things Odyssey can't handle.

Thanks for the valuable advice. I shall certainly consider it.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I have Linux installed on two drives (same distro). One of them is on a 8GB CFcard plugged into an adaptor from Amigakit and is in the PATA port on Nemo. It works just fine. I'm sure a larger CFcard, 16 or 32G, would even be able to hold Ubuntu. Well, it's an option, unless of course you're already using the PATA connector.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

mechanic wrote:

Especially do not try to transfer files directly between the two. Most times it will work, but it only takes once to mess up the journal on the other system and POOF!....gone.

When I build my linux kernels I don't include amiga filesystem anymore since the only affs partition is the small boot partition on my amiga drive and there is no reason to mess around in that from linux.
I absolutelly don't agree as I've been using an EXT3 partition between the 2 os worlds and sharing the files, using the 3rd party EXT2/3 filesystem and formating on Ubuntu using the Gparted utility. Then I could share stuff without the need of a slow NTFS or an external drive. I also managed to get the writing permission issue fixed with the chown command. The only problem that surfaced was on a freak accident on the AOS side when I wrote a copy command in error and created a recursive loop that damaged the partition and had to reformat. Other than that Used it extensivilly on both systems.

I do want though you to show me how to add the basic amiga file system as default Linux.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I. and others, have used a FAT partition for doing the same thing you are doing with the EXT partition. I have had problems with that and stopped doing so.

I am rather embarrassed to say that 'mount -t affs /dev/sdax /mnt/xxxx is not working.???
I wonder if it's because of a change in FFS, perhaps linux only understands DOS1?

I still have some room on my Amiga sda drive and maybe I'll try setting up an Older amiga FS just to see if linux will mount it. It used to. Of course I'll need to use a kernel with affs activated, not a problem.

I will have to get back to you on this.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

I don't think you should mess with your main drive. The EXT3 partition I was talking about is on the oldest and slowest WD drive.