Install problem Overcome!

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Install problem

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:
CFE.JPG
Thank you for attaching the photo. Unfortunately you boot with the wrong command:

Code: Select all

boot -elf -noints -fatsf cf0:vmlinux-3.19
fatsf is wrong. You have to boot with fatfs. ;-) fs means file system.

Code: Select all

boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.19
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Re: Install problem Overcome!

Post by kilaueabart »

Since reinstalling 12.04 "alongside 12.04.5" (so said the Install program), /dev/sdb looks like this:
Screenshot from 2015-03-29 02_03_17.png
Screenshot from 2015-03-29 00_59_49.png
I can boot Ubuntu from /dev/sdb5 (at least it worked yesterday), but the disk looks kind of ugly. I thought I would delete sdb1, sdb2 and sdb6 the swap partition for starters, and decide later whether to keep and use sdb5, or clear the disk and start over, but Disk Utility can't delete any of those partitions.

OS4's Media Toolbox can't open the disk, but apparently would allow an "Install." Maybe I should try to clear the disk from there? Or should I just be satisfied with sdb5, sdb6 as long as they work?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:Since reinstalling 12.04 "alongside 12.04.5" (so said the Install program), /dev/sdb looks like this:
Screenshot from 2015-03-29 02_03_17.png
Screenshot from 2015-03-29 00_59_49.png
I can boot Ubuntu from /dev/sdb5 (at least it worked yesterday), but the disk looks kind of ugly. I thought I would delete sdb1, sdb2 and sdb6 the swap partition for starters, and decide later whether to keep and use sdb5, or clear the disk and start over, but Disk Utility can't delete any of those partitions.

OS4's Media Toolbox can't open the disk, but apparently would allow an "Install." Maybe I should try to clear the disk from there? Or should I just be satisfied with sdb5, sdb6 as long as they work?
Hi Kilaueabart,

You could use sdb1 for data or for another Linux distributon for example for the successor of the A-EON Live Remix DVD. ;-) Please don't delete sdb2. This is an extended partition. It contains sdb5 and sdb6. You could use the SWAP partition in the future if your RAM isn't enough for new Linux distributions. I think you should be satisfied with your partitions.

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

The problem I have with keeping sdb5 is that it uses about 750GB just for Ubuntu LTS, supposed to run in 8Gb and I wanted to give it 20Gb.

Also I was planning to try installing 15.04 as soon as I can figure out how to do instruction 9, Configure Network, but without installing another disk. Hmm, after taking another look at the 15.04 thread, I guess I had better not.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

kilaueabart wrote:The problem I have with keeping sdb5 is that it uses about 750GB just for Ubuntu LTS, supposed to run in 8Gb and I wanted to give it 20Gb.
You can't keep sdb5 if you delete anything before it. That partition is actually part of sdb2.
With a MBR disk you can have 4 Primary partitions or 3 Primary and 1 Logical partition with more partitions inside of of it, also called an extended partition. The Logical partition is always the last partition. Unfortunatly you set sdb2 as a logical (extended) partition and sdb5 and 6 are inside it,

Yes, 20GB is a good minimum size to use. 8 gig fills up fast. Since you don't seem to mind dinking around with this stuff, and you might wish to redo the HD, I will suggest you set up only a single partition, as you tried before, and tell the installer not to use a swap, or if that is not possible set a small 2G primary partition as swap.

Also keep in mind that Xeno and I look at Linux differently. He is a full featured fan and I'm more of a 'light and tight' nut, probably spent too much time with Amiga, which is why I prefer Mint.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks for the encouragement. I find this much more aesthetic, and it leaves me room to try other things.
partition.png
I don't use Linux a lot, mostly Amiga, but Linux is nice to have around when Odyssey can't do something, for example.
And now that I've got 12.04 working again, I think I'll take a look at some of the things I could add.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Oh yeah! That does look better.

Now try opening the System Monitor and watch the Memory Usage as you keep trying to use up RAM, just for kicks. :)
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.