Install problem Overcome!

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Install problem Overcome!

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks in particular to Signal and Xeno74, whose help was sufficient to counter SCD, I now have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS installed again!
Last edited by kilaueabart on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mechanic

Re: Install problem

Post by mechanic »

kilaueabart wrote: Now I suspect there are problems with the hard drive. So I go to Desktop and after a bit of searching I find a "Disk Utility" and persuade it to format "1.0 TB Hard Disk (ATA Hitachi [etc.])." "Error formatting drive / An error occurred while performing an operation on [the disk named]: The daemon is being inhibited[.]" "Details" agrees: "Daemon is inhibited[.]"
Sounds like you are on the right track.

Since you created a Swap partition, and Linux automounts Swap you should delete any partitions you made first, reboot and then Format Drive for Master Boot Record (MBR). Then Reboot again for the install and setup your partitions.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I took a look at the disk just now with Media Toolbox. No partitions whatsoever!

Will I be able to format the disk as MBR from the Ubuntu install program? I'll try to do so in a moment, but if not, I have no idea how to do it.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

As mentioned before, I do not have Ubuntu.

If Ubuntu will run off the DVD then you should be able to 'Format Drive' from a 'Disks' utility in Accessories, or use GParted which might be someplace in the System Tools directory or a sub directory.

If Ubuntu does not run 'Live' then the installer may allow you to break the install proceedure and drop you to a terminal where you might have access to a utility called 'fdisk'.
You can google 'fdisk' to get some help using it, or post here again. Fdisk will do nothing to the HD untill you tell it to write to the disk.

For either method you will need to reboot before the installer will recognize the change. Then you can set up the partitions, and format them.

If you are going to put the Linux kernel on your internal CFcard then using ext3 or 4 should be just fine for your partitions. If you wish to put the kernel on the drive you can make a small (500MB) partition, format it for FAT16 (msdos) or FAT32 (Windows), and name it something like /kernels, that would then be /dev/sdb1.

I hope some Ubuntu guru will ring in.......... quickly,,,,, please?????
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I have a series of (useless, for now) kernels already on my CF card; no problem there.

As I noted last time, the Ubuntu DVDE does have Disk Utility, which indeed offers to format my disk as MBR (or whatever you suggested). However, attempts to do so again produce the same result as reported last time. The utility does offer very encouraging evaluation of the disk (the Smart tool thing does, too). See the screen grab. So why I wonder do I keep getting that Error window when I try to format?
Screenshot from 2015-03-16 03_01_35.png
This is probably silly, but I'm going to use OS4 Media Toolbox to put in a couple of partitions and then see what the Ubuntu programs make of them.

Oh, oh, wait a minute! I just noticed something WEIRD. The name of the disk is "Hitachi JP6940HZ1A." Ubuntu Disk Utility switches the first four pairs of characters to "iH at ch [space]i." I don't know where it gets what comes after that. Media Toolbox gives a version number "JP4O"; Disk Utility comes up with "PJO43AAM." What on earth could cause this sort of thing?
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Right now it looks like (?) the Disk Utility is bunged up. Perhaps one of those Big Endian - Little Endian thingies.

XENO! Where are you.

I have to think about this.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I took a look at the disk just now with Media Toolbox. No partitions whatsoever!

Will I be able to format the disk as MBR from the Ubuntu install program?
Yes, Ubuntu created it as a MBR partition. Please look in the AmigaONE X1000 Debian Squeeze Installation Guide v2.5.1. But you could also create a AMIGA RDB partitions with Media Toolbox and install Ubuntu on it. The Linux kernel supports RDB partitions:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_AMIGA_PARTITION=y
Or you could try another new disk if you like.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Not according to the Disk Utility. If it were MBR then 'Partitioning' would say;
Partitioning: Master Boot Record.

So even though the kernel can R/W RDB the Disk Utility cannot and shows it as Not Partitioned.

When he tries to format the drive for MBR he gets the error "Error formatting drive / An error occurred while performing an operation on [the disk named]: The daemon is being inhibited[.]"

When I select my RDB drive in Mint 11 Disk Utility, and tell it to Format Drive it brings up a requester with several selections for type of formatting including MBR. It is the same Disk Utility AFAIK. I have not gone ahead and actually formatted my amiga drive and don't know if I would get the same error, but I don't think he is even getting that far.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

There have been other developments. At one point it seemed like Ubuntu was being installed, but I cannot boot it from CFE. Here is a photo I told Christian I would attach here.
CFE.JPG
I am now on the DVD version again, and I checked the disk with Disk Utility:

Nuts! Are .png's unattachable? I made a screen shot to show the following, but I can't attach it!
Well, what disk utility shows is, on the top left, a scrambled model name "ATA iHathc i" instead of "ATA Hitachi," ..., "Partitioning: Master Boot Record," and on the top right a scrambled serial number, ..., "Device: /dev/sdb, Rotation Rate: 7200RPM, Connection: ATA, SMART Status: Disk is healthy."

Below that three buttons (Format, Benchmark, SMART Data), and below those:
"Volumes" (gray rectangle with "ubuntu 20 GB ext4" in it, two smaller white rectangles with "Extended 4.0 GB" and "4.0 GB Sw... 4.0 GB" respectively. "Usage: Filesystem, Device: /dev/sdb1 / Partition Type: Linux (0x83), Partition Label: - / Partition Flags: -, Capacity: 20GB ... / Type: Ext4 (version 1.0), Available: - / Label: ubuntu, Mount Point: Not Mounted."

I suspect that "Not Mounted" is bad news, but I haven't the slightest idea what to do about it. ... No, that can't be the problem. It mounts easily.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Rebooted DVD. Pleased to discover three devices in my Home Folder: NTSF, KINGSTON, and ubuntu. Clicked on the last, got two alerts:

"The folder contents could not be displayed You do not have permissions necessary ..."

"Unable to mount ubuntu DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.NotFound: The given volume was not found"

The next time I opened Home, "ubuntu" was not there.

This is one more sign that Ubuntu partly installed on /dev/sdb1/ before something went wrong. Other signs are the fact that it almost boots from CFE (ultimately quitting because it can't get out of "low graphics mode"), and the fact that GParted shows an 18.3 GB ext4 partition labeled "ubuntu" there (but the mount point if "/media/ubuntu" rather than the "/" I had asked for! But I am pleased to see that GParted calls the disk "ATA Hitachi" rather than "ATA iHathc i.").

Should I try reinstalling? Right over what's there, or reformat the partition first?