Help installing Linux

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Help installing Linux

Post by xeno74 »

papaoskar wrote:My problem is how to install the mint1.1.img.
It seems I have mint already installed, but it keeps me asking for a password. I tried all I could think of to no avail.
If I click on the red button in the right part of the task bar,it tells me of 616 update available , the updates program asks me a password to install these.

Any suggestions how to progess?
The username, Root password and password have all been set to: amigaone
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

xeno74 wrote:
papaoskar wrote:My problem is how to install the mint1.1.img.
It seems I have mint already installed, but it keeps me asking for a password. I tried all I could think of to no avail.
If I click on the red button in the right part of the task bar,it tells me of 616 update available , the updates program asks me a password to install these.

Any suggestions how to progess?
All tried without success!
Something must have gone utterly wrong. I think I have to a second install. And I don't know how I did it some time ago.
Desparate me!
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

papaoskar

Try going to System Tools > Users and Groups. That should pop up a window with the current User name.

If User, root, and passwords are indeed all the same that should be the username you see, and must be entered exactly as displayed. unless you changed something. Otherwise, I'm out of suggestions. :(
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

mechanic wrote:papaoskar
Try going to System Tools > Users and Groups. That should pop up a window with the current User name.

If User, root, and passwords are indeed all the same that should be the username you see, and must be entered exactly as displayed. unless you changed something. Otherwise, I'm out of suggestions. :(
The current user name can I reach with the command "whoami". result: amigaone .
But opening the tools for users and groups leads to an empty window, no users and groups in there. So that is no result.

Another problem is the size of the screen: I can only see the left corner, but not the right one. I could not find a tool to set the screen size. The natural monitor screen is 1204x1068 at 60 Hz. The screen manager is lxe as I found out. Is that the default screen manager?
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

If you open a terminal and enter 'su root' and then answer the password with 'amigaone' does that do any good? Can you then do 'apt-get update' or something?

Or, can you logout and then login with the username and password?

(I did my Mint installs using the debian net-installer to a seperate HD.)
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

mechanic wrote:If you open a terminal and enter 'su root' and then answer the password with 'amigaone' does that do any good? Can you then do 'apt-get update' or something?
Or, can you logout and then login with the username and password?
(I did my Mint installs using the debian net-installer to a seperate HD.)
The password amigaone for 'su root' gives authentication failed.
Every command on a shell to change system settings needs root password. Also a useradd command is unknown without a sudo.
I have the image from AEON on the disk here. How to install that image to a partition?
Just dd it to a partiton?
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Usually you need to be root to be able to dd to a HD unless the user owns the HD (from a system POV).

Maybe you should follow A-eons guide and first put it on a USB stick and see if the password works. With over 600 updates you might be better off following the Linux Install guide available right from A-eons front page under 'Support' and do an install of Mint from there, and a seperate HD IS the way to go.

I have a back-up install on a CF card plugged into an adaptor (from AmigaKit) that is plugged into tha PATA connector and shows up as /dev/sdc on my X1k.
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

mechanic wrote:Usually you need to be root to be able to dd to a HD unless the user owns the HD (from a system POV).

Maybe you should follow A-eons guide and first put it on a USB stick and see if the password works. With over 600 updates you might be better off following the Linux Install guide available right from A-eons front page under 'Support' and do an install of Mint from there, and a seperate HD IS the way to go.

I have a back-up install on a CF card plugged into an adaptor (from AmigaKit) that is plugged into tha PATA connector and shows up as /dev/sdc on my X1k.
Put the img to 16GB stick and followed precisely the documentation. The kernel was loaded and started. after a while the pinguins were seen. Screen went black. After another while the screen showed lines with coloured pixels and after about 20 minutes went black. No changes to the situation after a hour.
Then I tried another kernel, vmlinux-3.18. and even vmlinux-4.1: no change!