Ubuntu Mate 15.10

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Ubuntu Mate 15.10

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:Banzai! Or so I thought at first. I downloaded the 3.19 you referenced, got rid of the old one in cf0 I hadn't used for a long time, copied from there to my usb card, and started once again. Hooray! No failing step "Detect disks" at step 21.

Less than two hours later, it seemed I had set up MATE, although I was a bit disturbed by an instruction to tell CFE to do some strange stuff, including "boot sata0.0:/boot/vmlinuz."

Instead I went with "boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.19" so I wouldn't have to plug the USB thing back in. Turns out the cf0:vmlinux-3.19 that I had copied to my USB card and based my MATE install on was not FAT formatted!

So I went back to the card after all. Lots of messages, but finally nothing more after a page that started with something about a panic attack.

So I tried cf0:vmlinux-4.2. Again lots of messages, but some in nice color. The last page had "[ OK ] Reached target Multi-User System.
[ OK ] start TLP System startup/shutdown. [ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface. [ OK ] Started Stop ureadahead data collection 45555s after completed startup.
Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes... [ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

I'm not sure what to try next. Redo the whole thing? Format sdb2 this time?
Many thanks for testing!

Do you have a shell login?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I'm not sure what a "shell login" would be. What I know is that /dev/sdb2 is full of MATE folders: bin, boot, core, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, root, run, sbin, srv, sys, tmp, usr, var, but whatever they might contain (I've only opened a couple, but it's all meaningless to me), I cannot boot/launch MATE so far. (My almost equally unusable chroot-wily -- if I cd to that I can launch a sickly firefox -- has those same folders, except it lacks core and lost+found.)

I know this only because Disk Utility allows me to mount /dev/sdb2 in /dev/sdb1's Ubuntu 12.04 media folder. That media folder has, permanently, an empty folder named "Ubuntu-MATE 15.10 ppc(vcd)." What in the world is THAT doing there? Anyway, the contents of media (inode/directory) are "2 items, totalling 8.2 kB," so I don't think that is really the Ubuntu Mate 15.10 I spent a couple of hours downloading Thursday.

The closest I can get to launching MATE from CFE ends up with the "[ OK ]" lines I quoted last time. I waited a long time before hitting the restart button, hoping something might happen, but no luck.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I'm not sure what a "shell login" would be. What I know is that /dev/sdb2 is full of MATE folders: bin, boot, core, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, root, run, sbin, srv, sys, tmp, usr, var, but whatever they might contain (I've only opened a couple, but it's all meaningless to me), I cannot boot/launch MATE so far. (My almost equally unusable chroot-wily -- if I cd to that I can launch a sickly firefox -- has those same folders, except it lacks core and lost+found.)

I know this only because Disk Utility allows me to mount /dev/sdb2 in /dev/sdb1's Ubuntu 12.04 media folder. That media folder has, permanently, an empty folder named "Ubuntu-MATE 15.10 ppc(vcd)." What in the world is THAT doing there? Anyway, the contents of media (inode/directory) are "2 items, totalling 8.2 kB," so I don't think that is really the Ubuntu Mate 15.10 I spent a couple of hours downloading Thursday.

The closest I can get to launching MATE from CFE ends up with the "[ OK ]" lines I quoted last time. I waited a long time before hitting the restart button, hoping something might happen, but no luck.
I mean something like this:

Code: Select all

Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (development branch) ubuntu tty1

ubuntu login:

Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Hey @kilaueabart

Please check out this thread a guy called nexus really sheds light on this issue with the net installation not picking up our hard drives.
There is a situation when the installation asks you to choose a kernel image which wasn't in previous Ubuntu versions. For me it works best when I pick the most generic one and then when the distro is ready and the installation has been completed, you can upgrade the kernel image with the normal update of the system.
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =35&t=2847

If you don't want to go back to using an older kernel, you can always photograph the message the installation prompt presents to you which captures the directory path where it can't find what it is looking for. Then it is a simple matter of opening a terminal inside the installation and creating said directory at the right path. It might sound a bit complicated until you actually do it and find out it is just about pointing the console/terminal at the right location and creating the specific directory.

good luck,

Shy.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thank you. I have skimmed through that thread once and see that it would take a lot of study to understand. But my problem seems no longer to relate to not finding drives. My last try at using initrd.gz was made with vmlinux-3.19 and everything went according to Christian's instuctions with the minor exception that I can't boot wily. I keep getting panics (I think that's the word).

/dev/sdb2 is where I was putting 15.10, and I am somehow able to "mount" that partition (with Disk Utility) to /Media on /dev/sdb1! I have taken advantage of that to glance at what files are there, not that it means much to me. I did a "ls -Rs" on it to a text file that comes to 172487 lines (some blank). I did the same to my 12.04 root partition ("ls -Rs >/Documents/sdb1list /") and got 783782 lines, but I think a majority of them probably belong to /chroot-wily.

Some sample comparisons: (sdb1)/bin is 8452 blocks, /boot is 75028 blocks. (sdb2)/bin is 15672 blocks, almost twice the size of sdb1's, and /boot is 63116 blocks, a bit smaller.

I compared the /boot directories, just for fun(?). The working (12.04) one has 748 blocks of abi-3.2.0-23, 76 blocks of config-3.15.10, 128 blocks of config-3.2.0-23, 0 blocks of initrd.img, 15312 blocks of initrd.img-3.10.15, 21520 blocks of initrd.img-3.2.0-23, 13636 blocks of initrd.img.old (!?), 28 blocks of nemo-3.10.15.patch, 3216 block of system.map-3.2.0-23, 1152 blocks of ubuntu-3.10.15.patch, and 18712 blocks of vmlinux-3.10.15-1.

/boot in /dev/sdb2 is similar, but not very. 1220 blocks of abi-4.2.0-16, 172 of config-4.2.0-16, 0 of initrd.img, 31280 blocks of initrd.img-4.2.0-16, 4779 of system.map-4.2.0-16, 0 of vmlinux, and 25672 blocks of vmlinux-4.2.0-16. I wonder if there should be some nemo and ubuntu patches in there.

Probably totally useless information. :(
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

xeno74 wrote:
AlicePPC wrote:I download the initrd.gz for the net install and the installation fail ...not recognized the drives....
Now i downloading the iso cd for test from cd
You can fix the "disk detection"-error yourself during installation (with whatever kernel version) by starting the installation shell when the error occurs and creating a directory in "/lib/modules/" with the name of your used kernel, i.e.

mkdir /lib/modules/<name_of_your_kernel>
e.g.

mkdir /lib/modules/4.2.0_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo
I followed the install instructions closely. I ended up in a working Ubuntu 15.10 ! But no GUI , only the terminal, to install additional software.
Do I have to clean the partition/format it and do the install process again? Because I found the above remark with "/lib/modules " today when reading the the complete forums topic. I did mkdir /lib/modules with my working Ubuntu 12.04 onto the drive "/dev/sda10 " with the foreseen Mate installation and copied the moduls in question. But still, I need to boot from the usb-stick. Booting from a cf-card (cf0:) does not work because nernel not found message .
Is there another way get to all functioning?
Thankfull for any hint how to proceed.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

If you have a working terminal then you can install a Lubuntu desktop if you like with the following command:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

After that you could install the ubuntu MATE desktop from a terminal.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-mate-core ubuntu-mate-desktop