Trying to reset password

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Trying to reset password

Post by kilaueabart »

Either I forgot to write my ubuntu authorization password down, or I forget where I wrote it. Same result.

So I found a "help" file that tells how to "Reset password using a Live CD or USB." I figured out after a while how to "1. Boot the Live CD..." "2. Mount your drive" was easier than I expected. "3. Press Alt+F2" did indeed get the Run Application window, wherein I "4. Type[d] gksu nautilus..." and launched the file manager, but perhaps not "... with system-wide privileges."

I located the 'shadow' file in etc. Right-clicked and selected "copy." Right-clicked in empty space to select "paste," but "paste" was ghosted. I decided to risk the possibility that "shadow-" was already a copy, even though the properties were slightly different and I was unable to rename it "shadow.bak."

Tried to use gedit to edit 'shadow,' but was informed I hadn't the necessary permissions. I just bet those are something I need an authorization password to get.

How do I break out of this vicious circle?
xeno74

Re: Trying to reset password

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Kilaueabart,
  1. Reboot or switch on your A1-X1000 and enter the CFE firmware with the 'F' key.
  2. Enter the following commands replacing the root partition (sdb9) with the ID of the partition where you installed Ubuntu.

Code: Select all

CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb9 init=/bin/bash"

CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-4.1
  3. After booting you will be at the bash prompt.
  4. Your root file system is mounted as readonly now, so remount it as read/write.

mount -n -o remount,rw /
  5. Use the passwd command to create a new root password. You can also create a new user password: passwd your_username.
  6. Reboot and do not lose your password again. ;-)
Rgds,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Re: Trying to reset password

Post by kilaueabart »

Thank you. I'm so unused to Linux nowadays that I didn't realized what "bash" meant at first and thought I had crashed, but I caught on and now have two working passwords. Thanks heaps!

Bart