Logical Unit Addressing in Firmware (SOLVED)

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
jdupuis

Logical Unit Addressing in Firmware (SOLVED)

Post by jdupuis »

Hello Christian and to all!

Okay, so, I had a crash after getting Ubuntu installed. Learnt a lot along the way of recovery. Found several mistakes I made during the system install of my hard drives via AOS. That being said, installing Ubuntu also made me look closely at the CFE/Firmware screen scrolling after pressing "F". Here is my configuration:
First Contact SATA 1 TB and ATAPI DVDRW in their original SATA PORTS
Second SATA 1 TB connected to SATA PORT 1
Master IDE 80 GB Hard Drive
Slave IDE 80 GB Hard Drive

BIOS reports that I only have 4 Units connected. 1st being the "First Contact" SATA HD - BIOS reports this as IDE 0
2nd being ATAPI Toshiba DVDRW
3rd being Master IDE 80 GB HD - BIOS reports this as IDE 0 ??!!
4th being Slave IDE 80 GB HD - BIOS reports this as SATA 1 ??!!
My 2nd SATA 1 TB does not show up at all ??!!

Am I supposed to configure CFE myself to tell it what is connected? Or, is the Logical Unit Addressing not correct in BIOS? Is this a Firmware issue? If I have to configure CFE, I'll need some guidance.
BTW, when I disconnect both IDE Master and Slave the Firmware (CFE) screen reports SATA 1 not present. This is perplexing and peaks my curiosty. Any help will do. I would like to think that the OS alone is not making LUN assignments without BIOS reporting correctly. Thanks.

John
Last edited by jdupuis on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
jdupuis

Re: Logical Unit Addressing in Firmware (SOLVED)

Post by jdupuis »

Hello again,

Additional info from my AOS Media Toolbox:

sata device
1st SATA 1 TB -LUN 0,0
2nd DVDRW -LUN 1,0
3rd SATA 1 TB -LUN 2,0

ide device
Master IDE 80 GB -0,0
Slave IDE 80 GB -1,0

The sharing of Logical Addressing posed an interesting problem. Ubuntu lists sda, sdb, sdc, sdd and sde. sde - CF Card respectedly. Still not "Logical" on the BIOS/AmigaOS side.
AOS installed on DH0. Ubuntu installed on Master IDE. I lost Boot capabilty on DH0. System locked on the AMIGAOS 4.1 FE splash screen. No booting from DVD or Ubuntu. Externally formatted SATA. Started from scratch with only First Contact drive and DVDRW connected. This is when I paid close attention to the Drive Addressing that reports when pressing "F" during startup. It is my hope that I am not understanding because I'm no programmer. I'm really looking for clarification. Thank you, again in advance. Cheers!

John
Last edited by jdupuis on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Logical Unit Addressing in Firmware

Post by daz »

jdupuis wrote:Hello Christian and to all!

Okay, so, I had a crash after getting Ubuntu installed. Learnt a lot along the way of recovery. Found several mistakes I made during the system install of my hard drives via AOS. That being said, installing Ubuntu also made me look closely at the CFE/Firmware screen scrolling after pressing "F". Here is my configuration:
First Contact SATA 1 TB and ATAPI DVDRW in their original SATA PORTS
Second SATA 1 TB connected to SATA PORT 1
Master IDE 80 GB Hard Drive
Slave IDE 80 GB Hard Drive

BIOS reports that I only have 4 Units connected. 1st being the "First Contact" SATA HD - BIOS reports this as IDE 0
2nd being ATAPI Toshiba DVDRW
3rd being Master IDE 80 GB HD - BIOS reports this as IDE 0 ??!!
4th being Slave IDE 80 GB HD - BIOS reports this as SATA 1 ??!!
My 2nd SATA 1 TB does not show up at all ??!!
4 drives is all that CFE supports, it does not recognise the seconary channel on the SATA controller, so it will only ever detect what is attached to ports 0 and 2.

As you've seen AOS4 and Linux don't have this problem.
Am I supposed to configure CFE myself to tell it what is connected? Or, is the Logical Unit Addressing not correct in BIOS? Is this a Firmware issue? If I have to configure CFE, I'll need some guidance.
No, the only configuration CFE needs is how to to load the OS. It does not affect how the OS sees the IDE devices.

The best option is to install a CF card into the onbard slot and boot linux kernels from there, makes everything a lot easier, linux kernels won't boot from a disk with a RDB on, and a CF Card is always seen by CFE (not so with USB drives), and is always device cf0:
BTW, when I disconnect both IDE Master and Slave the Firmware (CFE) screen reports SATA 1 not present. This is perplexing and peaks my curiosty. Any help will do. I would like to think that the OS alone is not making LUN assignments without BIOS reporting correctly. Thanks.
As I said above there is no SATA 1 as far as CFE is concerned. ide0 is the two sata ports (0 and 2) and ide1 is the ide port. I think ide0 is the ide ports if you disconnect all sata devices, but I don't have time to check.
John
Basically what you're seeing is quite normal.
Your second HDD not being seen by CFE would only be a problem if you want to install your linux kernels there. Many X1000 users have a second HDD with linux installed attatched to port 1 - working absolutely fine.

Regards
Darren
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Logical Unit Addressing in Firmware

Post by daz »

jdupuis wrote:Hello again,

Additional info from my AOS Media Toolbox:

sata device
1st SATA 1 TB -LUN 0,0
2nd DVDRW -LUN 1,0
3rd SATA 1 TB -LUN 2,0
Forget what CFE reports, it numbers the ports differently as I recall.

Sata ports are ide ports with a different connection, so exist as pairs of master/slave drives - 0 and 1 per channel.

The ports on the board are numbered:
0 primary master.
1 secondary master.
2 Primary slave.
3 secondary slave.

CFE uses 0.0 primary master and 0.1 as primary slave
ide device
Master IDE 80 GB -0,0
Slave IDE 80 GB -1,0
As expected
The sharing of Logical Addressing posed an interesting problem. Ubuntu lists sda, sdb, sdc, sdd and sde. sde - CF Card respectedly. Still not "Logical" on the BIOS/AmigaOS side.
AOS installed on DH0. Ubuntu installed on Master IDE. I lost Boot capabilty on DH0. System locked on the AMIGAOS 4.1 FE splash screen. No booting from DVD or Ubuntu. Externally formatted SATA. Started from scratch with only First Contact drive and DVDRW connected. This is when I paid close attention to the Drive Addressing that reports when pressing "F" during startup. It is my hope that I am not understanding because I'm no programmer. I'm really looking for clarification. Thank you, again in advance. Cheers!
Ubuntu, like all Linuxes allocates sdx names at boot time. Once you understand all becomes clear.

The order is SATA ports first
ide second then the CF slot.

so in your case: HDD on port 0 = sda
HDD on second SATA port = sdb
Master ide = sdc
slave ide =sdd
CF card =sde.

If you added a third SATA drive it would take over sdc, pushing the ide and CF driver names one letter higher. make sense?

For correct operation of CFE/OS4/Linux you should make sure you leave the original HDD and DVDRW drive where Amigakit installed them. They know what they are doing.

Give us more details of your non booting problems - we'll see if we can fix those too.

Regards
Darren
jdupuis

Re: Logical Unit Addressing in Firmware (SOLVED)

Post by jdupuis »

Thank you Darren!

You cleared up the muddy water for me. My DVDRW and SATA are still where AmigaKit put them. The booting issue and crash at boot was my mistake as mentioned. I have since reformatted and reinstalled my drives in AOS (correctly, I may add). So with your response and fixing my boo, boo's, I am good to go. Thanks again!!

Cheers!!

John