Lubuntu 15.10 (LXQt)

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Srtest

Re: Lubuntu 15.10

Post by Srtest »

Had a big update to Lubuntu and so I ran Glxgears both with Compiz and without composition & decorative effects. here are the results:

1. Without composition & decoration

2. With Compiz & Metacity

* In both instances moving to close Glxgears lowered the average a little.

** Both tests only use the replacement r600.so from the unofficial Mesa while everything else is installed normally.

*** The graphics card is a HD5870 aka "Cypress".

After the recent upgrade of Firefox to a supposedly Linux-optimised version the improvement is marginal at best and the status of Firefox at least on Lubuntu if not Linux entirely continues to be lousy, especially regarding Javascript.

Hey Xeno man your Win driver really helped and I tend to fully investigate the emulation capabilities of my current setup.

LibreOffice 5 is really good.

The big update replaced some major files so in order of getting Compiz to work you need to repeat the procedure I wrote in a comment on this posting and also reconfigure Compiz's settings via its preferences utility which is a GUI and straightforward.
Srtest

Re: Lubuntu 15.10 (LXQt)

Post by Srtest »

I have succeded in switching the Lubuntu desktop to LXQt!

For those who don't know, Lubuntu-Next is based around LXQt and should come out around 16.04-16.10.

It wasn't entirely easy and required a mix of packages to get the LXQt metapackage to install. To achieve this goal I had to switch between Lubuntu and LXDE to LXQt (uninstalling both) and switching between lightdm to sddm as the logon tool was also necessary but maybe can be reversed at this point.

Bear in mind that the current Lubuntu desktop is obsolete and I haven’t managed to make it coexist with LXQt 10 which is an experimental version.

LXQt is supposed to be this lightweight desktop so I will provide an update on its performance.

* I'm also adding in a new SMPlayer I've found on the Ubuntu forums which hasn't been updated for Power platforms for quite some time.
Attachments
lxqt3.png
smplayer_14.9.0.7042-1~trusty1_powerpc.7z
(2.43 MiB) Downloaded 319 times
lxqtimage1.png
Last edited by Srtest on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xeno74

Re: Lubuntu 15.10 (LXQt)

Post by xeno74 »

Interesting! :-)

Thanks for sharing!
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.