Installing MATE no fun!

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Installing MATE no fun!

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I wondered on AmigaWorld about installing Ubuntu MATE, suspecting it might be too hard for me to try.

Christian kindly responded with a PDF of instructions, and I have spent five or six hours today trying to use them.

One of the puzzling early failures resulted in thousands of repetitions of two lines that I can't imagine ever forgetting after it happening twice, but there was something about too many FAT ends or something in the first line; the second line said something needed to be >=2. This was when booting kernel 4.2, so I thought maybe there was something wrong with the kernel dearchive, and I redid the download and dearchiving. Since then CFE reports "file not found" or something to that effect. Strange, because vmlinux-4.2 is there according to both OS4 and Ubuntu 12.04 file listers.

The last two times "boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux-4.2" failed to find the file, I changed the last part of the line to "cf0:vmlinux-4.3," thinking that the new kernel I had just installed ought to work OK. And sure enough, up came the install program!

End of problem? No! The fact that I had to choose UInited States instead of Hawaii for my time zone seemed minor. When I got to the pick keyboard from list part, I was in a bit more trouble. I know my Logitech wireless is not just a keyboard, but did anything on that list apply? No idea, so I just left it at American or whatever was first on the list.

Then I was supposed to configure my network. Unfortunately I had forgotten to see if Google would tell me what that means, so I just accepted the suggested hostname. Then England/Great Britain was the only named source country for downloads, unless I type in another likely name. I went with the UK.

The instructions were to leave the HTTP Proxy line blank, and type ctrl+alt+F2. I'm not sure which key on my keyboard is Alt, "Alt" or the Windows key. In OS4, LAlt is LAmiga, Windows is Alt. In any event I ran the program this far twice, trying both options. Both times I ended up in a CLI called Softbox or something like that, with no out that I know of except the box's reset button.

I can't help wondering what might happen if I disobeyed the instruction to NOT detect keyboard layout when given the option, but too many hours gone today. I may try that tomorrow; I obviously won't be any worse off.
kilaueabart wrote:Both times I ended up in a CLI called Softbox or something like that, with no out that I know of except the box's reset button.
Please read the task 12 carefully.

ubuntu_MATE_15.10_installation_instructions_A1-X1000.pdf

Please look on the pictures. You will see what you have to do.

In the CLI you have to create a directory in "/lib/modules/" with the name of your used kernel, i.e.

Code: Select all

mkdir /lib/modules/<name_of_your_kernel>
e.g.

mkdir /lib/modules/4.2.0_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
xeno74

Re: Installing MATE no fun!

Post by xeno74 »

For example for kernel 4.3-rc2:

mkdir /lib/modules/4.3.0-rc2_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo-00001-ga5274f7-dirty

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I knew I was getting dumber and dumber! I thought I was in Linux Only, and I had forgotten the picture of the black screen, not catching on that I was supposed to be in a CLI. Thank you for not giving up on me. I'll get it right (or closer to right) first thing tomorrow.

I still think it's weird that CFE can't find my kernel in the usbdisk. That may cause trouble when I try to name it in /lib/modules/. I wonder how I can find out the name of kernel 4.3, since it looks like I'll have to use that one again. A couple of times I caught the name of 4.2, but it was different from the "4.2.0_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo" in your instructions. I'll experiment a bit.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Not quite hunky-dory yet. I got through step 19 OK, but when I got to "Configure the clock," which is of course different from your picture, and tried to procede, instead being prompted for module dm-mod I got an alert labeled "!! Detect Disks," saying an installation step failed.

The first time this happened I rebooted and printed out page 8, steps 20 through 24, of your instructions and tried again. Same result. I tried Detect disks with no luck, and then tried skipping steps 21, 22, and 23, but step 24, Partition disks, didn't know what to partition.

Any chance this is because I am using kernel 4.3 instead of the called-for 4.2, or the fact that the kernel is in cf0 instead of usbdisk0?

I guess I'll try again to make usbdisk0:vmlinux-4.2 work, but I'm not optimistic.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I tried Detect disks with no luck, and then tried skipping steps 21, 22, and 23, but step 24, Partition disks, didn't know what to partition.
Did you create the kernel modules directory in /lib/modules?

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

nexus wrote: By the way, you can fix the "disk detection"-error yourself during installation (with whatever kernel version) by starting the instalaltion shell when the error occurs and creating a directory in "/lib/modules/" with the name of your used kernel, i.e.

`mkdir /lib/modules/<name_of_your_kernel>`

e.g.

`mkdir /lib/modules/3.18.0_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo`

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I used the name in the command example you gave a few days ago:

mkdir /lib/modules/4.3.0-rc2_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo-00001-ga5274f7-dirty

If that is not the correct name for my copy of the kernel, how can I find out its name?
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:
nexus wrote: By the way, you can fix the "disk detection"-error yourself during installation (with whatever kernel version) by starting the instalaltion shell when the error occurs and creating a directory in "/lib/modules/" with the name of your used kernel, i.e.

`mkdir /lib/modules/<name_of_your_kernel>`

e.g.

`mkdir /lib/modules/3.18.0_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo`
I tried that. the result was somethiing like
Could not mkdir 4.3.0-rc2_A-EON__AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo-0001-ga5274f7-dirty. Directory already exists.
The other thing driving me nuts: Trying
boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux-4.3
keeps getting me "Not an ELF-format executable."

I wondered if perhaps using Unarc from OS4 was a problem, so I downloaded again and unarched it in Ubuntu and copied it onto the flash stick, rebooted and tried again. Still not "ELF-format"! File size was 25,901,512 bytes, whereas the one on the CF card was 25,901,584 bytes. How come?

Anyway, back to Ubuntu 12.04 and compared the two drives. Usbdisk is fat32, CF card ext4. Anyway, I replaced the short file with CF0's longer one and rebooted. "Not an ELF-format executable." I tortured myself by using the CF card's kernel and going through the whole process to "Installation step failed" one more time.

What kind of disk is the thing trying to detect? GParted keeps finding four--sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd. What I want the install program to find is sdb so I can add sdb2 for Ubuntu 15.10 to it. Surely the fact that sdb is SSD can't be a problem?

After posting this, I belatedly went through the Ubuntu 15:10 thread, and see people far more advanced than I are also having problems (a bit different from mine, it seems) getting MATE up and running. I think I'll just give up for a while.