Important about Java and Firefox/Iceweasel

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Srtest

Important about Java and Firefox/Iceweasel

Post by Srtest »

For quite some time I've been having serious issues with Firefox browsing on sites which use Javascript frequently so I blamed Firefox. Now, although Firefox isn't completely without blame as it relates to being too "heavy", I haven't realized until recently how Linux or Ubunbntu/Debian if you prefer handle different versions of Java. I tried an experimental version that could bring such websites to a complete halt. Reverting to the Java supplied with Lubuntu 15.10 made the recent Firefox/Iceweasel perform much better (ver 40 and beyond does come with a boost) only to experience yet another setback in the last few days because it itself upgraded Java. If nothing else works you can try to use something called "Alternatives Configurator" to switch between versions - at your own risk.
xeno74

Re: Important about Java and Firefox/Iceweasel

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote:For quite some time I've been having serious issues with Firefox browsing on sites which use Javascript frequently so I blamed Firefox. Now, although Firefox isn't completely without blame as it relates to being too "heavy", I haven't realized until recently how Linux or Ubunbntu/Debian if you prefer handle different versions of Java. I tried an experimental version that could bring such websites to a complete halt. Reverting to the Java supplied with Lubuntu 15.10 made the recent Firefox/Iceweasel perform much better (ver 40 and beyond does come with a boost) only to experience yet another setback in the last few days because it itself upgraded Java. If nothing else works you can try to use something called "Alternatives Configurator" to switch between versions - at your own risk.
Thank you for these hints. :-)

Did you test Midori and QupZilla too? I think both are good alternatives.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Srtest

Re: Important about Java and Firefox/Iceweasel

Post by Srtest »

xeno74 wrote:
Srtest wrote:For quite some time I've been having serious issues with Firefox browsing on sites which use Javascript frequently so I blamed Firefox. Now, although Firefox isn't completely without blame as it relates to being too "heavy", I haven't realized until recently how Linux or Ubunbntu/Debian if you prefer handle different versions of Java. I tried an experimental version that could bring such websites to a complete halt. Reverting to the Java supplied with Lubuntu 15.10 made the recent Firefox/Iceweasel perform much better (ver 40 and beyond does come with a boost) only to experience yet another setback in the last few days because it itself upgraded Java. If nothing else works you can try to use something called "Alternatives Configurator" to switch between versions - at your own risk.
Thank you for these hints. :-)

Did you test Midori and QupZilla too? I think both are good alternatives.
As I said, it is not about Firefox as far as the extreme slowdowns I've been experiencing, because it stems from the way Linux handles Java and what happens when you try to install a new version. Websites such as facebook rely heavily on Java nowadays and if something goes wrong there it greatly effects performance. Firefox as a whole took a bad turn the last few years and the issues that are caused by Firefox itself won't be fixed by introducing something like multithreading browsing. By the way, If I need a fast experience on facebook I switch over to AOS and Oddysey :-)