(X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
papaoskar

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by papaoskar »

Hi Christian, after four weeks of absence I am back again.
In the meantime I managed to have a 16 GB stick with Mate 16.04 LTS working. I am glad !!!
Thank you! But I need more help because the stick is ugly slow. Therefore I want to have it on a harddisk, space enough is available.
I copied the stick content to a /dev/sdb8 partition , it boots, but no graphical screen. I am writing this on the new system Mate 16.04!
As a proof I attach a screen picture of my desktop. Any suggestion what to do now [question mark*]
Attachments
my Desktop
my Desktop
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

papaoskar wrote:Hi Christian, after four weeks of absence I am back again.
In the meantime I managed to have a 16 GB stick with Mate 16.04 LTS working. I am glad !!!
Thank you! But I need more help because the stick is ugly slow. Therefore I want to have it on a harddisk, space enough is available.
I copied the stick content to a /dev/sdb8 partition , it boots, but no graphical screen. I am writing this on the new system Mate 16.04!
As a proof I attach a screen picture of my desktop. Any suggestion what to do now [question mark*]
Hi Papaoskar,

Great news! Well done!

You can copy the content from the partition on your stick to /dev/sdb8 with the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo su

mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb8

mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb8 /mnt

cd /

cp -a * /mnt
Reboot your AmigaONE X1000.

After that you can try to boot ubuntu MATE from /dev/sdb8.

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

xeno74 wrote:Hi All,

Today, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has been released.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... S-Released

https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mat ... l-release/

Many thanks for testing ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu 16.04. Thanks to Julian for creating the images and initrds.

Cheers,

Christian
Hi,

I finally got the time to install 16.04 on my AmigaONE X1000 using both, your "basic" img for Lubuntu and the NI2 image for MATE. I followed the instructions and created a USB-pendrive (USB2.0 drive) and after that I "dd" them to two distinct partitions on a HD reserved for Linux. And finally I could upgrade to LibreCAD 2.0 and install FreeCAD! Thanks a lot! :-)

The upgrade to 16.04 LTS went smooth, I had the "START Load Kernel Modules" issue too ex solved the issue as explained on Post 378.
I do have 2 remaining issues:
1) during boot time it shows an error about failing to start Braille interface "brltty" (I do not need it, is it safe to disable it?)
2) I get an error at boot time From "Raise Network Interfaces" about "eth0" not starting. But after booting, internet works without problems.
3) Both YouTube and Video Files do not display:
- YouTube just load the video forever without playing
- Any Video I try to play using VLC just displays a blue screen ans sometimes some garbled pixels. It does not change if I switch to full screen mode.

I made sure to have all the codecs installed "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" to no avail

I tried using Kernel 4.5, 4.4.3-jm and 4.1.21 but no difference. I have all the modules installed in the modules directory
I'm using a RadeonHD 5450

YouTube and the same video files do work with Ubuntu 12.04
I would like to have a complete 16.04LTS system and not having to switch to 12.04...

Any hints? And thanks to all involved for all the work done so far on updating Linux for the X1000.
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

cp -a * /mnt

Cheers,
Christian
Hi Christian,
thank you for the detailed instruction. But your last sentence does not sound confidently. Currently, the copying process is still going on and it takes a lot of time. I think it will last for another three hours or so. To find out what is going on, I started the system monitor and it is very interesting to see how the workload is switched between the two CPU's. Currently, CPU1 is at 99% and CPU2 is at 18 %. BTW, there are a lot of errors reading 'proc/sys/net.... either input/output errors' or ' for reading Permission denied '. I hope that that has no severe implications.
Will report back with success on no success!
Cheers
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

Amigo1 wrote:
xeno74 wrote:Hi All,

Today, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has been released.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... S-Released

https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mat ... l-release/

Many thanks for testing ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu 16.04. Thanks to Julian for creating the images and initrds.

Cheers,

Christian
Hi,

I finally got the time to install 16.04 on my AmigaONE X1000 using both, your "basic" img for Lubuntu and the NI2 image for MATE. I followed the instructions and created a USB-pendrive (USB2.0 drive) and after that I "dd" them to two distinct partitions on a HD reserved for Linux. And finally I could upgrade to LibreCAD 2.0 and install FreeCAD! Thanks a lot! :-)

The upgrade to 16.04 LTS went smooth, I had the "START Load Kernel Modules" issue too ex solved the issue as explained on Post 378.
I do have 2 remaining issues:
1) during boot time it shows an error about failing to start Braille interface "brltty" (I do not need it, is it safe to disable it?)
2) I get an error at boot time From "Raise Network Interfaces" about "eth0" not starting. But after booting, internet works without problems.
3) Both YouTube and Video Files do not display:
- YouTube just load the video forever without playing
- Any Video I try to play using VLC just displays a blue screen ans sometimes some garbled pixels. It does not change if I switch to full screen mode.

I made sure to have all the codecs installed "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" to no avail

I tried using Kernel 4.5, 4.4.3-jm and 4.1.21 but no difference. I have all the modules installed in the modules directory
I'm using a RadeonHD 5450

YouTube and the same video files do work with Ubuntu 12.04
I would like to have a complete 16.04LTS system and not having to switch to 12.04...

Any hints? And thanks to all involved for all the work done so far on updating Linux for the X1000.
Hi!

Page 9 of this thread has the instructions for View Tube installation. ;) I have a Radeon 6670 GPU. YouTube video plays good except in full screen. In Low Definition MP4 I can expand using the "+" within Firefox.
So far I have not done anything to resolve the Fail to load Braille or Kernel Modules. Have no problems.

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

jdupuis wrote: Hi!

Page 9 of this thread has the instructions for View Tube installation. ;) I have a Radeon 6670 GPU. YouTube video plays good except in full screen. In Low Definition MP4 I can expand using the "+" within Firefox.
So far I have not done anything to resolve the Fail to load Braille or Kernel Modules. Have no problems.

Cheers!!
Hi, thanks about the hint on page 9, I thought it was only for HD video. anyway YouTube works now. Shouldn't HTML5 videos work out of the box?

Still have the issue with VLC and video files, (avi, mpeg... ) the window is just blue with some squares at the bottom.. I tried changing back and forth to compiz and the other windowmanagers to check but it makes no difference..
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

Amigo1 wrote:
jdupuis wrote: Hi!

Cheers!!
Hi, thanks about the hint on page 9, I thought it was only for HD video. anyway YouTube works now. Shouldn't HTML5 videos work out of the box?

Still have the issue with VLC and video files, (avi, mpeg... ) the window is just blue with some squares at the bottom.. I tried changing back and forth to compiz and the other windowmanagers to check but it makes no difference..
Hi,

I haven't installed anything for HTML5. Take a look in Firefox/Add-Ons/User Scripts. Make sure you installed ViewTube and ViewTube+. In Plug Ins, make sure OpenH264 Video Codec is always active and, of course, VLC Plug In is always active. ViewTube+ is the one, I think you're looking for. Go back to the User Script link on page 9 and get both scripts. This is all I have done and have not had problems with full web page displays, Ads and normal Ad frustration! :D Hope this helps!

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

cp -a * /mnt

Cheers,
Christian
Hi Christian,
thank you for the detailed instruction. But your last sentence does not sound confidently. Currently, the copying process is still going on and it takes a lot of time. I think it will last for another three hours or so. To find out what is going on, I started the system monitor and it is very interesting to see how the workload is switched between the two CPU's. Currently, CPU1 is at 99% and CPU2 is at 18 %. BTW, there are a lot of errors reading 'proc/sys/net.... either input/output errors' or ' for reading Permission denied '. I hope that that has no severe implications.
Will report back with success on no success!
Cheers[/quote]

Hi Christian,
the booting process was not successful. I made two pictures with my mobile phone, excuse the bad quality. But I think they are still readable. Please, find them attached. From my understanding, the init could not be started. Why?
Attachments
Foto0329.jpg
Foto0327.jpg
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

papaoskar wrote:BTW, there are a lot of errors reading 'proc/sys/net.... either input/output errors' or ' for reading Permission denied '.
Did you copy the content with root permissions (sudo su)? Please mount /dev/sdb8 and tell me the file owner and group and the file permissions of /sbin/init with ls -l. Additionally please look if the directory /etc/init exists.

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Amigo1 wrote: Hi, thanks about the hint on page 9, I thought it was only for HD video. anyway YouTube works now. Shouldn't HTML5 videos work out of the box?

Hi Amigo1,

Do you have hardware 3D acceleration? Please post the output of the following commands:

glxinfo | grep -i opengl

vblank_mode=0 glxgears
Which graphics card is installed in your AmigaONE X1000?

Cheers,

Christian