So close to a MATE install!

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

So close to a MATE install!

Post by kilaueabart »

A month ago I posted a long list of messages that I got when trying to launch Ubuntu 15.10, in hope that someone would see why the launch failed. No luck.

A couple weeks later I decided to see if the same messages came up, but only got a short list, ending with something about not being able to do something to "root fs on unknown block(8, 18)." One kind soul tried to help me with that, but still no luck.

I had previously been able to mount the partition where I had almost installed 15.10 on a strange place in my sdb1 Ubuntu 12.04, using Disk Utility, and look at the folders and files. But when I took a look at sdb2 a couple of days ago, Disk Utility told me the partition had nothing in it!

So, I reformatted sdb2 and went through the procedure for installing MATE detailed by Christian. Got the old failure to detect disks message after step 20. For some reason, I tried it again, and this time my disks were found, and I was able to set up /dev/sdb2 properly and procede with the installation. After an hour or so of downloading and installing that seemed to be going perfectly, I rebooted and tried launching from CFE, and got a bunch of error messages and a promise to reboot in "180 seconds." (Liar!) When I tried again, maybe with a different kernel, I got a long bunch of messages like I had a month ago, but I got the crazy idea of tryiing to launch a CLI, and it worked!
AmigaX1000 login: bart
Password:

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.

ata2.00: exception Emask 0x50 SActd 0x3000 SErr 0x680900 action 0x6 frozen
ata2.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error
ata2: SError: { UnrecoveData HostInt 10B8B BadCRC Handshk }
ata2.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
ata2.00: cmd 60/f8:60:f3:fa:60/00:00:12:00/40 tag 12 ncq 126976 in
res 40/f8:60:f3:fa:60/00:00:12:00/40 Emask 0x50 (ATA bus error)
ata2.00: status: { DRDY }
ata2.00: cmd 60/08:68:eb:fb:60/00:00:12:00/40 tag 13 ncq 4096 in
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

bart@AmigaOneX1000:~$ _
So I am tantalizingly, frustratingly, close to having a working Ubuntu MATE.

I am able to use "ls." My Home folder was empty but root ("ls /") seems to be well populated, although there are a few empty folders. I created a Downloads folder in my home directory, just to see if I could. I can create text files with vi. I tried to run Firefox, was told I would have to install it first, so I did (sudo apt-get). And then when I tried to run it the complaint was something like that there was no display assigned to it.

Both times that I have made it all the way through the installation procedure, it ended with the odd suggestion that I boot it with "boot_debian 'ramdisk -max- 20000000 stat0.0:/boot/initrd'; boot sata0.0:/boot/vmlinuz". That certainly doesn't look right, so I booted with the normal "root=/dev/sdb2" and "boot -elf -noints -fatfs <kernel>" commands. But if wonder if that strange suggestion suggests I did something wrong along the way?

In any event, if my install isn't working because it is missing something, I am sure I could akpt-get it if only I knew what is missing.
xeno74

Re: So close to a MATE install!

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Kilaueabart,

Code: Select all

ata2: SError: { UnrecoveData HostInt 10B8B BadCRC Handshk }
ata2.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
ata2.00: cmd 60/f8:60:f3:fa:60/00:00:12:00/40 tag 12 ncq 126976 in
ata2.00: cmd 60/08:68:eb:fb:60/00:00:12:00/40 tag 13 ncq 4096 in
Do you always have these hard disk error messages? Have you these error messages with the longterm kernel 4.1 and with the testing kernel 4.4?

You could also try to install a desktop if you like.

Xfce desktop (Xubuntu)

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
Lxde desktop (Lubuntu)

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
MATE desktop (ubuntu MATE)

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment 
Good luck! :-)

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:Hi Kilaueabart,

ata2: SError: {[etc.]{ DRDY }
Do you always have these hard disk error messages? Have you these error messages with the longterm kernel 4.1 and with the testing kernel 4.4?
To tell the truth, I couldn't even tell they were hard disk errors -- totally mysterious to me. These were with 4.1. I installed with 4.2, as per your instructions, but when I tried to boot with the same 4.2 on USB, I kept getting a "drive not ready" sort of message, so used 4.1 instead. I haven't touched kernel4.4 at all, having been advised to stick with 4.1.
You could also try to install a desktop if you like.
I will definitely try that, now that you have told me how, providing I am still able to get into 15.10 tomorrow. But there was a point in the install procedure, step 27-28, where I believed I had already done that.
I was disturbed today to suddenly find 15.10 mounted as a device on 12.04! I dismounted it immediately, but isn't that very strange? "Mechanic" told me I can't have two roots "/" on the same hard drive, but I remained sure that only the one named in bootargs would be found. To be sure, it wasn't mounted at "/", but at a funny number in media/ or something that started with "m". I had previously been able to mount it like that on purpose, but I did no such thing today.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

"Mechanic" told me I can't have two roots "/" on the same hard drive, but I remained sure that only the one named in bootargs would be found. To be sure, it wasn't mounted at "/", but at a funny number in media/ or something that started with "m". I had previously been able to mount it like that on purpose, but I did no such thing today.
What I said was, when INSTALLING a Linux OS there should be only one root (/) directory, and that any other / directory should be marked as "Do Not Use" during the creation and formatting of a new / directory.

It would be like creating a new /home directory when you already have a /home directory. The OS would go crazy trying to figure out which one to use for all those hidden files.

I do not know if the Ubuntu installer allows you to mark partitions as 'Do Not Use' .
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Sorry I misunderstood you, Mechanic. Still, it seems to me that I should be able to have one root per partition with no conflict.

Meanwhile, I took Christian's suggestion and installed mate-desktop-environment, and was briefly excited to get the Plymouth Boot Screen, where you get those five little circles that fill with color, left to right, maybe repeatedly. In my case, it vanished almost immediately to continue the "Starting, Started, Reached" messsages. And I haven't seen the boot screen since, in several tries. I seem to always end up with some near-the-end messages that sound favorable, but...

"Started Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit." Many people seem to have trouble getting it to start, but Google revealed no one who had the problem that it apparently quit before they even had a chance to see it.

"Reached target Login Prompts." Perhaps this is what allows me to use tty.

"Reached target Multi-User System." Only one user wants to use it, but not just as tty!

"Reached target Graphical Interface." Really? Where?

I get two more lines:

"Started Stop ureadahead data collection 45s after completed startup." Google tells me some people have trouble with "Stopped Stop ureadahead data collection 45s after completed startup," but no hints as to what I should do.

"Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes." Again, also a problem for others as well, but the discussion is WAY over my head.
vox

Post by vox »

kilaueabart wrote: .
Having exactly same types of problems. Offered netinstalls simply cant get the SB600 connected SATA HDD at all.
Once I somehow made it through - and get the command prompt. Mate desktop sudo apt get didn‚t help.

Tried kernels 3.10-4.3 and once it passed, but sadly I didn‚t remember with which one ... Tried the stable 4.1 and 4.2 first,
even 4.5 betas later.

I have tried OpenSUSE mounting and copying the image, but it works horribly slow, to unusable level.

My x1000 is 4Gb, Radeon 6870 (Barts XT).

Hope Ubuntu 15 + MATE DVD for x1000 will be out soon, 12 cannot be much updated in terms of software (while never PPC ports exist).

Or we will get some fixed and explained combo of kernel + initrd that we can install Linux with MATE :-)
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

vox wrote:
kilaueabart wrote: .
Hope Ubuntu 15 + MATE DVD for x1000 will be out soon, 12 cannot be much updated in terms of software (while never PPC ports exist).

Or we will get some fixed and explained combo of kernel + initrd that we can install Linux with MATE :-)[/quote]

This request is supported, as I did a Mate 15.10 netinstall with Kernel 4.2 and corresponding initrd.gz.
It went through after some difficulties and rebooted. However, the cf-card with kernel 4.2 was not found and consequently no boot.
I then could reboot with the USB-Stick from where I started the whole installation process. I tried other kernels from the cf-card to no avail.
No access to any harddisk on the system. Can't mount the cf-card of 4 GB, but it works with 12.04. I am really puzzeld!
Any help you could offer?