First time X1000 Linux user

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
ddni

First time X1000 Linux user

Post by ddni »

This thread is a branch from the 4.5 Kernel thread where mechanic was helping me get Linux up and running.

Mechanic, when I use this command;

setenv -p MENU_2_COMMAND 2 'setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdd1" ; boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux-3.19' it seems to take ok in CFE but when I boot linux freaks out;

VFS: Cannot open root device "sdd1" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6

My Linux menu
HDD is connected to the Nemo IDE port. Not certain if it should be jumpered as master or single drive. Currently it has no jumper and is set as slave. Would this be an issue?

I'm stuck.
mechanic

Re: First time X1000 Linux user

Post by mechanic »

No jumper could possibly be a problem, make it a single/master.

In CFE do a printenv and then enter the bootargs and boot commands manually as you did to get it going in the first place. If it does boot then the problem is in the menu command.

This is what you typed here as part of your cammandline setenv -p MENU_2_COMMAND 2 -is the extra 2 really there?

I have AOS on SATA ide0.0 (linux /dev/sda) and Linux on PATA (ide1.0)set as "Master Or Single" and it shows as /dev/sdb not /dev/sdd.If you issue "show devices" in CFE your PATA drive should be ide1.0 which should be /dev/sdb.

I just did a little experiment by removing the Master jumper from the PATA drive and doing a show devices in CFE. It does not even show that the drive is there, no ide1.0.
Put the jumper ON.

If the PATA drive is working as sdd that tells me that you have 3 other HDs in the computer. Yes?

Geez, now Im confused. I also wonder if when you did setenv -p bootargs "root=/dev/sdd1" if it still in CFE since you used the -p option?

I have 2 HDs, 1 CD/DVD drive, CF card.
ide0.0 = AOS, in Linux /dev/sda
ide1.0 = Linux, /dev/sdb
cf0 in Linux as /dev/sdc
DVD atapi in Linux as /dev/sr0
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
ddni

Post by ddni »

Hi, no the extra 2 isnt there. Just my poor typing at near midnight...

I have three HDD in my X1000. Two on Sata and the linux one on the ide port. Seems odd that it is listed as root=sdd1

It does seem odd that setenv -p bootargs "root=/dev/sdd1" doesnt persist...

When I get home, I will put the jumper on and report back.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Yeah, seems like the PATA drive should be sdc (?) , maybe with the jumper on. :?
ddni

Post by ddni »

If I put the jumper on, what command can I type in cfe to see the drive list?
Will root need reinstalled, or will the drive letter adjust to sdc1 itself?
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

ddni wrote:If I put the jumper on, what command can I type in cfe to see the drive list?
Will root need reinstalled, or will the drive letter adjust to sdc1 itself?
Seeing the drives in CFE won't help much, Linux will build its own list, but IIRC the command you need is 'show devices'

You will not need to reinstall, the boot parameter just tells the kernel where to find the root device.

From what you've said, root=/dev/sdb1 is what I think is right, but if you have access to a second machine you could boot with 'console=ttyS0,115200' added to your bootargs. Capture the output, all the devices linux finds and what names they've been given should be listed.

Also what is printed on your screen when the kernel can't find root?

If you just have a single drive on the ide port it should be jumpered 'master' or 'single' - slave should only be used when there are two drives on the bus.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Darren
ddni

Post by ddni »

mechanic wrote:Yeah, seems like the PATA drive should be sdc (?) , maybe with the jumper on. :?
Hooray!
I put the jumper on, reset my bootargs to sdc1.
The system boots reliably now from the menu.

I updated and have a working GNOME 3.4.2 install.
Should I test newer kernels now or do I need to install MintPPC?
Regarding modules, do I need to simply copy the entire folder from the new kernel archive to /lib/modules, or do I need to replace the already existing 3.2.0-4-powerpc64 folder with the new kernel folder?
Right now I have simply copied the whole "3.19.0-rc6_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo" folder to /libs/modules and have two folders there one is the original, the other is from the new kernel. I cannot open the new folder due to not having permission, the folder icon has an X on it. Is this right?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

ddni wrote: Right now I have simply copied the whole "3.19.0-rc6_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo" folder to /libs/modules and have two folders there one is the original, the other is from the new kernel. I cannot open the new folder due to not having permission, the folder icon has an X on it. Is this right?
That's right. Well done! :-)
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
ddni

Post by ddni »

Excellent. Thanks. I am now using kernel 4.1.14.

Is the netinstall iso that I used a full install of linux?
http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimag ... pc/iso-cd/

mechanic mentioned Linux MintPPC do I need to install that? If so how?
It seems that my current install has no hardware acceleration.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

If you followed the instructions from Aeon pdf for Mint then it should have installed Mint. If for some reason something went haywire with the Mint part then you should have Debian installed. Since Mint is based on Debian and Ubuntu probably the easiest way to tell is to look in /usr/share/backgrounds and if it is mint there will be several folders named linuxmint.

Also, Mint does not install the OpenOffice or LibreOffice programs by default, it uses Abiword instead.

I can't be much help with 3D acceleration as I'm using a HD6850 card and needed to rebuild every kernel to get/keep it working.

So.......which do you have installed?

P.S. The netinstall is not a 'complete' install. We can only guide you on what to add. Don't go nuts installing stuff.
And keep in mind, if it all crashes..... it's not like crashing your car, so don't be afraid to play.