Lost /?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Lost /?

Post by kilaueabart »

I was on Ubuntu 12.04, starting email on Firefox. The thing at the window bottom telling how much is loaded stopped at a rather low number and didn't restart. I tried clicking on the circular arrow to restart the connection; nothing happened. I clicked on the kill button to shut down Firefox and reboot; nothing happened. I tried opening my home directory; nothing happened. I could move the cursor arrow at will, but clicking brought no result, including the shut-down button on the screen's upper right. So I hit the restart button.

"Errors were found while checking the disk drive for /." There were three things, I think, that I could do by pressing "I," "S" (? not sure), or "M." I tried them all eventually. "M" got me into a terminal, where I was able to check that my Home directory -- /Documents, /Downloads, etc. -- are, to my great relief, intact. (I was unable to vi any text files, though. Told I would have to restart my X-Server or the like.) I spent a lot of time looking at /bin, /dev, /var, /media, etc. So far as I could tell, everything is still there.

I didn't think to try copying any of my valuable files to an external memory before shutting down. If I can't do that, though, what is my best option for getting a working Ubuntu back without losing those files? By the way, I have Ubuntu 15.10 on disk as well, but I can't get a graphic desktop for it; it only works in terminal mode for the few things I know how to do with that.
xeno74

Re: Lost /?

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I was on Ubuntu 12.04, starting email on Firefox. The thing at the window bottom telling how much is loaded stopped at a rather low number and didn't restart. I tried clicking on the circular arrow to restart the connection; nothing happened. I clicked on the kill button to shut down Firefox and reboot; nothing happened. I tried opening my home directory; nothing happened. I could move the cursor arrow at will, but clicking brought no result, including the shut-down button on the screen's upper right. So I hit the restart button.

"Errors were found while checking the disk drive for /." There were three things, I think, that I could do by pressing "I," "S" (? not sure), or "M." I tried them all eventually. "M" got me into a terminal, where I was able to check that my Home directory -- /Documents, /Downloads, etc. -- are, to my great relief, intact. (I was unable to vi any text files, though. Told I would have to restart my X-Server or the like.) I spent a lot of time looking at /bin, /dev, /var, /media, etc. So far as I could tell, everything is still there.

I didn't think to try copying any of my valuable files to an external memory before shutting down. If I can't do that, though, what is my best option for getting a working Ubuntu back without losing those files? By the way, I have Ubuntu 15.10 on disk as well, but I can't get a graphic desktop for it; it only works in terminal mode for the few things I know how to do with that.
Hi Kilaueabart,

Sorry because of these issues. Could you please try to boot your X1000 with the A-EON Live Remix DVD? When you was successfull with booting then you could copy your personal files to a USB pen drive. After that you could repair your file system with the A-EON Live Remix DVD.

Rgds,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks for a reply that initially filled me with hope. But although I am able to easily copy lots of things to a USB memory, including some folders, I am not allowed to copy or even open the most important one. Trying to open it brings:
The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "FRAUHM"
I get a similar message trying to copy the folder. It tells me I can't because I'm not the owner. (Am I the "owner" of the movable folders and not of the others? Crazy!)

Any way out of this?
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Try su (enter) at the prompt then root password.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:Try su (enter) at the prompt then root password.
I had sort of tried that yesterday, but thought I needed "su -P" or something, which didn't work.

A major problem is that when I get on via the A-EON Live Remix DVD I was able to guess that my user name is "root," but I have no idea what my password would be. I am able to mount and open my installed 12.04, but I don't know how to actually "run" it in the sense of getting a terminal in control of it. I wonder if there is a password for the DVD? (I know it is not "password." I wish I had thought to try "AMIGA-One" etc.)

I then tried booting the installed 12.04 and choosing M(anual fix) when it failed to find a root. From the terminal that opens I am able to get into the directories forbidden to me from A-EON Live Remix DVD's desktop/terminal, but alas that's as lucky as I get. Plugging in the USB memory that I want to copy to gets me, at first, "usb1-port9: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?" Later I un- and re-plugged, and this time it got me "sd 13:0:0:0: [sdd] No caching page found
"13:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through"

It might not have worked anyway. I wondered whether I might be able to copy files from the folder in question outside the folder to my home directory "~" where I would presumably have no trouble getting at them from the Remix DVD's access to 12.04, but no soap: "... cannot [do that]: Read-only file system.

Maybe only 12:04 innards were read-only? One last hope. Maybe I could copy to cf0: which was surely not read-only? Stymied again: As far as the terminal was concerned, cf0 did not exist.

Now I'm wondering whether installing a second instance of 12:04 on /dev/sdb3 would allow me to get at and copy from the one on sdb1? Probably not. I suspect I would still get "You don't have permission," even though I would know my password.

Apparently I have changed my Hyperion password since I last recorded it. I had to reboot into OS4 to type this, where Odyssey knows my password even if I don't. :x
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

kilaueabart wrote:
I had sort of tried that yesterday, but thought I needed "su -P" or something, which didn't work.

A major problem is that when I get on via the A-EON Live Remix DVD I was able to guess that my user name is "root," but I have no idea what my password would be. :x
Hi,

If my Linux Terminal memory serves me correctly the "su" username: "root" and password: "root" by default.

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:Apparently I have changed my Hyperion password since I last recorded it. I had to reboot into OS4 to type this, where Odyssey knows my password even if I don't. :x
If Odyssey knows your password, you can get it as well.

Open the file .../Odyssey/Conf/passwords.db with NotePad. Though the file is in principle binary, you can see enough of it as text to get your stored usernames and passwords. You may need to scroll all the way out to the right to see them, and you have to work out where the relevant username ends and the corresponding password starts, as they are not nicely formatted into fields for humans to read easily, but it should be good enough to at least remind you of it.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:If Odyssey knows your password, you can get it as well.

Open the file .../Odyssey/Conf/passwords.db with NotePad. Though the file is in principle binary, you can see enough of it as text to get your stored usernames and passwords. You may need to scroll all the way out to the right to see them, and you have to work out where the relevant username ends and the corresponding password starts, as they are not nicely formatted into fields for humans to read easily, but it should be good enough to at least remind you of it.
What a terrific piece of info! Copied and stored.

What I actually found doesn't really look like any password I would have made up. It's a weird sequence of a digit followed by 12 upper case letters. But perhaps it is what Hyperion gave me the last time I lost an old one and I decided to just go ahead and use it. I hope so, and will find out shortly. The fact that I recognize most of my other passwords in that file is certainly encouraging!

(Later) Well, my first attempt at that didn't work. I'll try leaving the last letter off next time. But I think I'll end up changing my password from Odyssey.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

jdupuis wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:

A major problem is that when I get on via the A-EON Live Remix DVD I was able to guess that my user name is "root," but I have no idea what my password would be. :x
If my Linux Terminal memory serves me correctly the "su" username: "root" and password: "root" by default.
That password didn't work, but I googled a method to set a root password, and "toot" worked just fine. It did allow me to copy the folder in question to a USB memory, although it still refused to let me read it directly from that memory.

I thought that might be OK. I would just open and resave everything I need by opening the drive on OS4. But I can't yet find that drive with OS4! usb.log reports stuff like
I: [16:59:13] USB Fkt Init | Init Fkt | Fkt 0x5e3da960 is {Vendor: 0x05E3, Product: 0x0723, Class: 00.00}
I: [16:59:13] USB Fkt Init | Init Fkt | Fkt 0x5e3da960 initialized
I: [16:59:13] MassStorage Device Task | Massstorage | Lun 0 has device type 0x00 (Direct access) and is removable
W: [16:59:13] MassStorage Device Task | Massstorage | Created usbdisk.device/1
I: [16:59:13] Mounter Task | Mounter | usbdisk.device/1: Partition at [32768, 125067263]
I: [16:59:13] Mounter Task | Mounter | usbdisk.device/1: Filesystem of partition [32768, 125067263] is EXT2
I
but that doesn't mean anything helpful to me so far.