Lost SSD?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Lost SSD?

Post by kilaueabart »

I guess this amounts to a follow-up on "Lost /?"

I ended up reformatting the SSD and trying to reinstall with the install Ubuntu 12.04 DVD. Got to where I thought the the install was just about complete (a half hour or so of downloading and installing) when I was advised:
Installation Failed
The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:
[Errno 5] input/output error: '/target/etc/skel/src/linux-3.9.8/drivers/edac'
This is often due to a faulty hard disk. It may help to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler invironment.
(Not sure about the "edac" in the third line; lousy handwriting.)
The drive is only a few months old and had been working fine until I apparently lost the "/" mountpoint. I removed and examined the outside of the drive and put it back in, re-attaching the cables with great care, and tried installing again. This time I got that message right after the "Who are you?" section before any uploading or downloading started.

Since then I have tried reformatting the target partition, but DiskUtility refuses to do it.

I wonder whether I have any options besides tossing the drive and getting a new one?

Meanwhile I had installed the Ubuntu on a partition on the drive I had previously used only for OS4, but that install turns out to be useless because I cannot set a password for it and many things I want to do require a password! (I go through the process of setting one and get told the password was set, but reboot doesn't shut down properly.)
jdupuis

Re: Lost SSD?

Post by jdupuis »

kilaueabart wrote:I guess this amounts to a follow-up on "Lost /?"

I ended up reformatting the SSD and trying to reinstall with the install Ubuntu 12.04 DVD. Got to where I thought the the install was just about complete (a half hour or so of downloading and installing) when I was advised:
Installation Failed
The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:
[Errno 5] input/output error: '/target/etc/skel/src/linux-3.9.8/drivers/edac'
This is often due to a faulty hard disk. It may help to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler invironment.
(Not sure about the "edac" in the third line; lousy handwriting.)
The drive is only a few months old and had been working fine until I apparently lost the "/" mountpoint. I removed and examined the outside of the drive and put it back in, re-attaching the cables with great care, and tried installing again. This time I got that message right after the "Who are you?" section before any uploading or downloading started.

Since then I have tried reformatting the target partition, but DiskUtility refuses to do it.

I wonder whether I have any options besides tossing the drive and getting a new one?

Meanwhile I had installed the Ubuntu on a partition on the drive I had previously used only for OS4, but that install turns out to be useless because I cannot set a password for it and many things I want to do require a password! (I go through the process of setting one and get told the password was set, but reboot doesn't shut down properly.)
Hi Bart!

My first questions for you. Do you have a Mac or Windows? Do you have access to Utility Software for your SSD? In the x1000 Thread I have a post decscribing my issue with rectifying my SATA/IDE HD issues. Further detail is that I had to use Seagate's Utilities to erase my SATA and IDE hard drives due to the corruption of the Partion Table (Map). Then, with an external drive case, I was able to connect to my Mac and use Disk Utility to create a new Master Boot Record and Format as MS-DOS. Prior to this my SATA/IDE would not take setup in AOS Toolbox or Ubuntu GPARTED (when I could boot up 12.04). I also found that my SATA Data cable connector on the first drive end was just loose enough to cause problems as well. It seems that if you do not have an adequate Partion Table or corrupt Partion Table, RDB in Media Toolbox does not install correctly. Using the drive utilities downloaded from your SSD's website to perform an erase, prep and setup to "out of box" condition should allow you to start fresh. As for me, my Seagate SATA/IDE's was unreadable and unaccessible by any Utility until I used Seagate's software. This was the case with all my Hard Drives. Seagate SATA and IDE. On my Mac it was easy to set the MBR and format as MS-DOS. In Windows I selected FAT32 instead of NTFS. Both instances I did a complete format, not Quick. Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks for the detailed response, but it is probably in vain. I have been using Amiga for 31 years just so I could avoid PC's and Macs.
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

kilaueabart wrote:Thanks for the detailed response, but it is probably in vain. I have been using Amiga for 31 years just so I could avoid PC's and Macs.
I understand completely. I too, have used Amiga for years. 24 years this year. I wish I could have avoided the PC and Mac as well. All is not lost, I do know that. I wish I could be of more help on the Amiga NG side. Using Windows or Mac is the way I have had to go in read/write repair of my HD's using the brand's utilities, in particular SATA and IDE. My apologies for not being able to get you further.

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE