no permission to read USB file

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
mechanic

Re: no permission to read USB file

Post by mechanic »

kilaueabart wrote: No fair, though. I wasn't given a chance to set a root password during installation, or I would know what it is.
You are right, does not ask for root password. I'll be back.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote: You are right, does not ask for root password. I'll be back.
I spent quite a bit of time reading arguments about whether one could or couldn't, should or shouldn't, or how to, set up a root password on Ubuntu. It turned out that I didn't need it.
However, trying to apply the rest of your suggestion got a message that I would need to install Windows SAMBA and something else before I could use Nautilus. I said to go ahead and install, not believing for a minute that anything would happen. But apparently both items got installed, did no good at all (still can't get permissions), and may have slightly messed up my Ubuntu. I keep getting warnings and offers to send reports.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

zzd10h wrote:"
Yes, i am the one who posted this screeenshot. This picture was took from my x1000 when using 12.04.

"I didn't see the relevance"
Even after have read the related thread ?
I didn't bother to re-read it (I saw it way back when it was new, a year or so ago). I thought it was just a warning not to take the update gadget's offer to install 14.04 (or whatever). But maybe I will take another look, if you think it could have some relevance to my problem.
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

" I thought it was just a warning not to take the update gadget's offer to install 14.04"

Yes, it was. This update could cause the same "lost of root password" problem that you encountered.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Bart,
Have you tried;
sudo nautilus

Then enter your user password.

:?
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:Bart,
Have you tried;
sudo nautilus

Then enter your user password.

:?
I'm pretty sure that is what I did that resulted in the alert that I would have to install SAMBA. My memory doesn't work well any more, especially when I'm trying a lot of different stuff, but I'm almost certain that is what I tried. And I think it brought up "Files," which I always get anyway and seems to be an alias for Nautilus.