no permission to read USB file

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

no permission to read USB file

Post by kilaueabart »

I successfully reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 on /dev/sda7 (/dev/sdb seeming to have become totally unusable), and this time the password works.

Before giving up my previous installation, I was able to copy some critical files to a microSD. But apparently that did no good, because I do not have permission to read or copy those files, or the directory they are in. I have spent some time reading up again on file permissions, but as one might expect, doing a chmod on the directory in question fails for lack of permission to open my very own directory of my very own files.

I don't suppose there's any way around this?
zzd10h

Re: no permission to read USB file

Post by zzd10h »

1) what is the output of comand "id" in a shell ?

2) and "ls -l" on your source folder AND your destination folder ?

PS : I replied to you on AW about your 12.04 password lost. You didn't replied...
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I'm not sure this will work for you with Ubuntu.

Open your file manager, Click the About in the top menu and get the name of the file manager, Let's say it is "nautilus".
Then open a Terminal and do "su" enter then enter the "root" password. Once you are logged in as root type in the name of the file manager and see if it will start for you.

If it does then you should be able to move those files around and change permissions on them. The other disks should be in /media or /mnt directories.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

zzd10h wrote:1) what is the output of comand "id" in a shell ?
uid=1000(bart) gid=1000(bart) groups=1000(bart),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),109(lpadmin),124(sambashare)
zzd10h wrote:2) and "ls -l" on your source folder AND your destination folder ?
I'm not sure what "source folder" refers to. If I do "ls -l" in ...desktop:~$ I get the usual list of folders with the "drwsr-xr-x" in front, except "-rw-r--r--" for an empty one called "examples.desktop." If I do it on the card reader, all I get is "ls: cannot open directory /media/Saves: Permission denied."
zzd10h wrote:PS : I replied to you on AW about your 12.04 password lost. You didn't replied...
Weren't you the one who brought up the Tahr(?) 14.04(?) stuff? I didn't see the relevance; that won't even run on an Amiga_One X1000. My problems started with 12.04.3.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:I'm not sure this will work for you with Ubuntu.

Open your file manager, Click the About in the top menu and get the name of the file manager, Let's say it is "nautilus".
Then open a Terminal and do "su" enter then enter the "root" password. Once you are logged in as root type in the name of the file manager and see if it will start for you.

If it does then you should be able to move those files around and change permissions on them. The other disks should be in /media or /mnt directories.
"Nautilus" is right. But the scary thing is, once again it is refusing to recognize the password I set up when installing yesterday, and which worked fine, e.g. allowing me back on if I went away for awhile and reauthorization was required. What the heck? (Unless the "root" password su wants is different from my user password? After I post this, I'm going to let the thing get tired of waiting for input and see whether I can still reauthorize it.)
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

My x86 box uses one password, but my X1000 install of MintPPC uses two so I have no idea what Ubuntu-ppc uses. However, if you do get it runnung again, there is someplace where you can turn off the screen lock and be done with that headache. Perhaps one of the Ubuntu users can help with the password thing.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

kilaueabart wrote:
mechanic wrote: What the heck? (Unless the "root" password su wants is different from my user password? After I post this, I'm going to let the thing get tired of waiting for input and see whether I can still reauthorize it.)
Yes root password is nearly always different from user. That's kind of the point.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

broadblues wrote: Yes root password is nearly always different from user. That's kind of the point.
I thought so too, and several times I have sat at the keyboard of my x86 trying to remember what the hell was the root password. :oops: A real head shaker. :roll:
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

broadblues wrote:[R]oot password is nearly always different from user. That's kind of the point.
No fair, though. I wasn't given a chance to set a root password during installation, or I would know what it is.
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

"Weren't you the one who brought up the Tahr(?) 14.04(?) stuff? I didn't see the relevance; that won't even run on an Amiga_One X1000. My problems started with 12.04.3."

Yes, i am the one who posted this screeenshot. This picture was took from my x1000 when using 12.04.

"I didn't see the relevance"
Even after have read the related thread ?
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE