Discovered and Fixed Linux/X1000 Woes

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
jdupuis

Discovered and Fixed Linux/X1000 Woes

Post by jdupuis »

Hi,

Zeno, you'll appreciate this, I hope. After getting a Sam460ex for trade and trying to get it running AOS4.1FE without issue, I discovered that another one of my root problems was my use of the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse (wireless). It seems that the USB Transmitter/Receiver (dongle) was creating a very unstable environment. I used it on the Sam only to find that it would not work correctly. So this led me to put the original wired USB mouse back on my X1000. Sure enough. I got a brief graphic glitch during CFE boot up and after a restart my system seemed to be better. I prepared my X1000 for a graphic card change and put the 6670 back in. I have not looked back. Amazing that such a little thing could cause issues. My Wired Connection speed is better and the 6670 is running well, in fact, even with movie and youtube playback. I have now installed Ubuntu again and it is running extremely well with the 4.1.20 kernel. I was also able to format my 16 GB CF Card as one FAT32 Partition for use with kernels as well as "some" AOS storage. All of this from, I guess, re-working the Sam, experience and doing more reading. My R7 250x card is now in the box where the 6670 was. After reading my old posts they sound kind of silly and I have to say that I'm glad to report positive results. I have lots of questions about going up to the next Linux (16.04) but I will wait and get used to Ubuntu and get a better feel of it first. :D

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
xeno74

Re: Discovered and Fixed Linux/X1000 Woes

Post by xeno74 »

jdupuis wrote:Hi,

Zeno, you'll appreciate this, I hope. After getting a Sam460ex for trade and trying to get it running AOS4.1FE without issue, I discovered that another one of my root problems was my use of the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse (wireless). It seems that the USB Transmitter/Receiver (dongle) was creating a very unstable environment. I used it on the Sam only to find that it would not work correctly. So this led me to put the original wired USB mouse back on my X1000. Sure enough. I got a brief graphic glitch during CFE boot up and after a restart my system seemed to be better. I prepared my X1000 for a graphic card change and put the 6670 back in. I have not looked back. Amazing that such a little thing could cause issues. My Wired Connection speed is better and the 6670 is running well, in fact, even with movie and youtube playback. I have now installed Ubuntu again and it is running extremely well with the 4.1.20 kernel. I was also able to format my 16 GB CF Card as one FAT32 Partition for use with kernels as well as "some" AOS storage. All of this from, I guess, re-working the Sam, experience and doing more reading. My R7 250x card is now in the box where the 6670 was. After reading my old posts they sound kind of silly and I have to say that I'm glad to report positive results. I have lots of questions about going up to the next Linux (16.04) but I will wait and get used to Ubuntu and get a better feel of it first. :D

Cheers!!

John
Hi John,

Many thanks for such a nice report. It was so fantastic to read this. Yes I appreciate it very much.

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.