Ubuntu Stable - Plugins and Other Recommends

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
jdupuis

Ubuntu Stable - Plugins and Other Recommends

Post by jdupuis »

Hi,

Now that I have got a good solid install of Ubuntu 12.04, I would like an idea of what is the best plugins and general packages for full Web and Multi Media function. I am just wondering what others are using for video streams on youtube, movie playing and disc burning. I used to use K3B and it suit my needs. I see Adobe Flash is not avail. Can I get some tips, please? Thanks.

Cheers!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
xeno74

Re: Ubuntu Stable - Plugins and Other Recommends

Post by xeno74 »

jdupuis wrote:Hi,

Now that I have got a good solid install of Ubuntu 12.04, I would like an idea of what is the best plugins and general packages for full Web and Multi Media function. I am just wondering what others are using for video streams on youtube, movie playing and disc burning. I used to use K3B and it suit my needs. I see Adobe Flash is not avail. Can I get some tips, please? Thanks.

Cheers!

John
Hi John,

With ViewTube, you can watch YouTube videos in Firefox. Even in fullscreen. ;-) First, you have to install Scriptish. After that, you have to add the ViewTube script to Scriptish. :-) ViewTube requires the VLC player. You can install it with Synaptic.
It works very well even in HD.

Screenshots:

ImageImage

Have a lot of fun with ViewTube. :-)

Rgds,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

View Tube is great!! Just what I needed.
Now, can I install K3b as well? Will KDE stuff "break" Ubuntu Gnome environment?

.....and what is this 32 bit? Is Gallium 0.4 Turks okay? These are the meat and potato questions I have now. Web functionality is a start.

Cheers!
John

<edit>
Forgot to mention how easy and smooth it was to install Ubuntu Remix 12.04.05 now that issues resolved - self inflicted. Plus this old Dawg is more learned. ;)
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

jdupuis wrote:View Tube is great!! Just what I needed.
Now, can I install K3b as well? Will KDE stuff "break" Ubuntu Gnome environment?

.....and what is this 32 bit? Is Gallium 0.4 Turks okay? These are the meat and potato questions I have now. Web functionality is a start.
Yes, you can install K3b as well and Gallium 0.4 Turks is OK. :-) K3b won't break your environment. 32 bit is your Linux userland. It's normal. ;-)

jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

Thanks Zeno!

Now that I'm in Linux - Land with the X1000, a real crazy question. So, I unpacked the 4.1.20 Kernel and along with it is other files. Am I to copy or replace with these files? In other words, do I need to replace anything in the Ubuntu install itself? I have all these files on the CF card. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Cheers!!
John
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

jdupuis wrote:Thanks Zeno!

Now that I'm in Linux - Land with the X1000, a real crazy question. So, I unpacked the 4.1.20 Kernel and along with it is other files. Am I to copy or replace with these files? In other words, do I need to replace anything in the Ubuntu install itself? I have all these files on the CF card. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Cheers!!
John
You could copy the kernel modules directory to /lib/modules if you like. ;-)

Code: Select all

sudo cp -R 4.1.20_A-EON_AmigaONE_X1000_Nemo /lib/modules/

vox

Post by vox »

jdupuis wrote:View Tube is great!! Just what I needed.
<edit>
Forgot to mention how easy and smooth it was to install Ubuntu Remix 12.04.05 now that issues resolved - self inflicted. Plus this old Dawg is more learned. ;)
No, install synaptic via provided software manager and then use it to add minimal KDE with Compiz, looks and feels great.
You can add LXDE or XFCE and login to multiply envirovments, and add and remove them AS LONG AS YOU DONT REMOVE BASIC GNOME
AND BASIC UNITY(3D) when Remix 12 will fail to boot.

My objection is that Ubuntu 12 no longer can use MATE, Libre 5 and new Firefox which all exist, due to inability to upgrade to 14.04+
So, new remix 16+ DVD is required, and it would be fair to be free. Anyway, just adding boot inits, wallpapers and proper kernels
(and Gorky 17 demo) doesn`t make a FLOSS software commercial.

I do highly respect the work of Amiga Linux team, and believe they should get PayPal donations from users,
but Linux DVDs should be freedownloads from AEON section and NOT paid AmigaKit/AmiStore.

If there is a port of commercial games and titles - e.g. Shogo, Gorky 17, Worms Armageddon to PPC Linux (or Steam? :-)
that should be payable due to original status + porting.
vox

Post by vox »

jdupuis wrote:Hi,

Cheers!

John
Synaptic for maintance
GIMP for Graphics
Scribus for DTP
Audacity + Lame for audio editing
Brasero for CD/DVD burning
VLC for video player

KDE/KFCE/LXDE as optional GUIs but with minimal installs
Compiz for effects

I am not satisfied with FF provided with Ubuntu 12, my recommendation is fast Midori.

As explained, there will be no flash (even on x64 Linux its not updated) so just switch You Tube to HTML5 and enjoy