Japanese input on MATE

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Japanese input on MATE

Post by kilaueabart »

I used to be able to input Japanese and Korean on Ubuntu LTS 12.04. I just failed to set it up again, trying to remember how.

But where I want it is on MATE 16.04. Theoretically I should have been able to do that with Welcome > Getting Started - Language Input > Language Support (now System > Preferences > Persponal > Language Support), which did allow me to put Japanese and Korean after a half dozen varieties of English. I am supposed to be able to "Drag languages to arrange them in order of preference," but it doesn't work with the Japanese or Korean.

So next I try Welcome > Getting Started - Language Input > Complex Input > Japanese. Well! "Package does not exist. Check the spelling of the package name, and that the appropriate repository is enabled." Ain't that a fine how-do-you-do? "Details" tells me "Package fcitx-mozc isn't available." Apt-get install is no help: "E: Unable to locate package fcitx-mozc."

Clicking Welcome > Getting Started - Language Input > Complex Input > Korean resulted in some activity with no error messages. But so far I haven't found a way to actually type Korean. Google is supposedly my friend, but it led me to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LanguageSupport, which is full of baloney.

I like MATE a lot so far, but it does weird things. I cannot close that "Package does not exist" window. And what is this "JP en" all about?
upperrightcorner.png
By the way, that "monitor" icon tells me I have two monitors that used to appear side by side until I noticed that my working spaces (lower right corner of screen) were twice as wide as they should be, and managed to overlap them into one proper-sized workspace. But why in the world two Samsung Electric Company 23" monitors ("Mirror Screens")?

After posting this, I ran into something that might provide a hint at the last annoyance:
[ 99.166] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Apr 23 15:34:29 2016
[ 99.237] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[ 99.237] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 99.361] (==) ServerLayout "X.org Configured"
[ 99.361] (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
[ 99.361] (**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
[ 99.361] (**) | |-->Device "Card0"
[ 99.361] (**) |-->Screen "Screen1" (1)
[ 99.361] (**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor1"
[ 99.362] (**) | |-->Device "Card1"
Last edited by kilaueabart on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
xeno74

Re: Jaoanese input on MATE

Post by xeno74 »

I have only found this one:
When comparing to Ubuntu 12.04, the Japanese input is now a lot easier to install and better integrated into the interface. Additionally you now have the choice between two input methods. I will guide you through both and you can then choose for yourself which you like more.

But first things first for people who haven't typed Japanese in Linux before: The input-methods that are available in Ubuntu 14.04 are Anthy and Mozc. There are others but those are practically the standard ones today and work very well while having all the features you will probably ever need. Anthy has been around for several years and is used as the default in Japanese installations of Ubuntu. However, nowadays there is also Mozc around, which is besically the open-source-version of Google's IME and is in my personal opinion superior because from my experience it gives better results in the candidates list and also has symbols built-in (e.g. ☎). First I will show you the installation and setup of Anthy and after that how to install Mozc.

Anthy
Because Anthy is not installed with the base-system, you have to install the Japanese language support first. Otherwise Anthy won't be available as input-method in the Text Entry settings. Additionally this will install some nice Japanese fonts and Japanese translations for Ubuntu if you ever want to use your System in Japanese. So let's begin by opening the System Settings and then the Language Support.
Link: http://moritzmolch.com/744
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Re: Japanese input on MATE

Post by kilaueabart »

I have always followed the procedure described. Different Ubuntu incarnations put the items in different locations, but I think I found what I needed, but it didn't work for Japanese on the install I was working on when I posted. I was able to get Korean beautifully, but so far no Japanese.

I have since copied my USB stick install to my SSD. But on that one I am not able to get Japanese or Korean either. I was able to get the Desktop, menus, icon labels, and notifications to come up in Japanese, but of course that is not what I want.

I am only able to do partial upgrades on the SSD installation. And I can't open CF CARD or any USB drive because "The file is of unknown type." Unfortunate, because I copied parts of sys.log, font.log(?), and dpkg.log, as well as a screen shot of files that were "held back" from partial upgrade that I though might contain clues, but couldn't save them. (It now occurs to me that I could have emailed them to myself, and will do so shortly.)

With regard to moving Ubuntu from flash drive to hard drive, zappa said, "... you must change your new root entry in /etc/fstab because UUID has changed." Could that be my problem. I googled fstab but didn't find anything that told how I should change it. It currently has "was on /dev/sdc2 during installation," which is proper reference to my flash drive at the time. But the only active line is

UUID-86ld1093-23fa-4994-b737-838526e4C311 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

The google reference had a few more lines after that, but the above is the last of "9 lines" in that fstab.
xeno74

Re: Japanese input on MATE

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I have always followed the procedure described. Different Ubuntu incarnations put the items in different locations, but I think I found what I needed, but it didn't work for Japanese on the install I was working on when I posted. I was able to get Korean beautifully, but so far no Japanese.

I have since copied my USB stick install to my SSD. But on that one I am not able to get Japanese or Korean either. I was able to get the Desktop, menus, icon labels, and notifications to come up in Japanese, but of course that is not what I want.

I am only able to do partial upgrades on the SSD installation. And I can't open CF CARD or any USB drive because "The file is of unknown type." Unfortunate, because I copied parts of sys.log, font.log(?), and dpkg.log, as well as a screen shot of files that were "held back" from partial upgrade that I though might contain clues, but couldn't save them. (It now occurs to me that I could have emailed them to myself, and will do so shortly.)

With regard to moving Ubuntu from flash drive to hard drive, zappa said, "... you must change your new root entry in /etc/fstab because UUID has changed." Could that be my problem. I googled fstab but didn't find anything that told how I should change it. It currently has "was on /dev/sdc2 during installation," which is proper reference to my flash drive at the time. But the only active line is

UUID-86ld1093-23fa-4994-b737-838526e4C311 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

The google reference had a few more lines after that, but the above is the last of "9 lines" in that fstab.
You can get the UUID with the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo tune2fs -l <Your partition for example /dev/sda1> | grep UUID
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.