MATE doesn't ask for password

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: MATE doesn't ask for password

Post by kilaueabart »

jdupuis wrote:... Don't forget after Mate install, create your ADMIN user account with your name and password then you can delete the AMIGAONE user account! Hope this helps.
As you probably know, John, I have done what you suggest in the deleted part of this quote, and have a largely working ubuntu MATE16.04 LST. Now I wonder if one of the problems I have, namely not being able to open devices such as USB sticks or CF CARD or earlier installs of MATE and 12.04 ("You do not have permission") might be because I haven't created a proper ADMIN user account. Google hasn't really helped much. I see a lot about the danger of, or the impossibility of, messing with ROOT, but nothing that suggests to me what I should do.

I did change the "Authorization" password from "amigaone" to my normal one. I confess I don't even remember how I did that at the moment, but it worked. I wonder if that is when my attempts to open devices from the desktop started being met with "no permission" instead of "not a folder." Will setting up a proper ADMIN get me back to that "not a folder" excuse for not opening devices?

Anyway, I'd like to try, if you can give me another hint.

Of course, I can open whatever I want from Terminal, but it involves typing in long /media addresses and is no fun at all, and there is much I need to copy from the old installs to the new one.
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

kilaueabart wrote:
jdupuis wrote:... Don't forget after Mate install, create your ADMIN user account with your name and password then you can delete the AMIGAONE user account! Hope this helps.
As you probably know, John, I have done what you suggest in the deleted part of this quote, and have a largely working ubuntu MATE16.04 LST. Now I wonder if one of the problems I have, namely not being able to open devices such as USB sticks or CF CARD or earlier installs of MATE and 12.04 ("You do not have permission") might be because I haven't created a proper ADMIN user account. Google hasn't really helped much. I see a lot about the danger of, or the impossibility of, messing with ROOT, but nothing that suggests to me what I should do.

I did change the "Authorization" password from "amigaone" to my normal one. I confess I don't even remember how I did that at the moment, but it worked. I wonder if that is when my attempts to open devices from the desktop started being met with "no permission" instead of "not a folder." Will setting up a proper ADMIN get me back to that "not a folder" excuse for not opening devices?

Anyway, I'd like to try, if you can give me another hint.

Of course, I can open whatever I want from Terminal, but it involves typing in long /media addresses and is no fun at all, and there is much I need to copy from the old installs to the new one.

Hi Bart,

Glad to hear you created your ADMIN user account. That is in Users and Groups in System Settings. You can go there and make sure you have all permissions checked.
Anyway.
"No Permissions" or "Permissions Denied" all hinges on what and where you are trying to copy. "Normally" anything you save to a USB stick, whether it's a personal file, music, or a .tar.gz, should easily be accessed on the USB stick or copied to your Home folder with no "permissions" issue. Files being copied to any System folder other than "Home" require the use of "sudo nautilus" and "password" in the terminal, I think. This is what I've experienced. Changing folder permissions in the Ubuntu 16.04 or 12.04 File System Disk is risky if there is no real reason. "sudo nautilus" does the trick for us normal user types like me. You're right in the fact that "root" remains untouched. Sorry I don't have any other hints. System files from previous installs I, personally, don't fool with unless it is files from my Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc. If the system files were corrupt during the copy process, you won't know until you copy them into the new system. I make notes of where I retrieved downloaded upgrades, updates and enhancements then go back to those sources when starting again in a fresh install.

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Glad to hear you created your ADMIN user account. That is in Users and Groups in System Settings. You can go there and make sure you have all permissions checked.
I didn't think I had set up an ADMIN account. I have no "System Settings." I do have System>Administration>Users and Groups. Presumably this is what you meant. There I was able to change "bart" to Administrator, but I am not sure that is what I should do. In any event, it doesn't seem to have the effect I want. I can also get a long list of Groups to manage, but I don't have any obvious reason to manage any with names I recognize.
"No Permissions" or "Permissions Denied" all hinges on what and where you are trying to copy. "Normally" anything you save to a USB stick, whether it's a personal file, music, or a .tar.gz, should easily be accessed on the USB stick or copied to your Home folder with no "permissions" issue. Files being copied to any System folder other than "Home" require the use of "sudo nautilus" and "password" in the terminal, I think.
It seems I haven't been clear. My problem is not being unable to move things on or off my USB stick exactly. It is being unable to open my USB stick by clicking on its icon. I get "Permision Denied" or "Not a Folder." In any of my other installs of Ubuntu not only USB sticks, but all the Devices, e.g. other ubuntu installs, that show up in Home open easily.
In fact, that is the best solution to this particular problem currently. If I boot my 12.04 or either of the other 16.04s, I am able to open Home folders on this new install and the others and copy freely from one to another, and to my USB stick, which of course opens on the other installs. A bit annoying but solves the problem of not being able to save files to where they are needed.

Other problems have been solved. I can do Japanese and Korean with no trouble now. The only really bad thing is the double width screens that is sometimes lose the mouse arrow in the right side of. I wonder, though, if perhaps I should erase this install and try the new image announced today.
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

I didn't think I had set up an ADMIN account. I have no "System Settings." I do have System>Administration>Users and Groups. Presumably this is what you meant. There I was able to change "bart" to Administrator, but I am not sure that is what I should do. In any event, it doesn't seem to have the effect I want. I can also get a long list of Groups to manage, but I don't have any obvious reason to manage any with names I recognize.
Yes, actually System>Control Center> Users and Groups. Log in as AmigaOne and create your Admin Account with your name and your own password. You'll have to restart and log in with your new Admin Account in order to delete the others - namely AmigaOne.
It seems I haven't been clear. My problem is not being unable to move things on or off my USB stick exactly. It is being unable to open my USB stick by clicking on its icon. I get "Permision Denied" or "Not a Folder." In any of my other installs of Ubuntu not only USB sticks, but all the Devices, e.g. other ubuntu installs, that show up in Home open easily.
In fact, that is the best solution to this particular problem currently. If I boot my 12.04 or either of the other 16.04s, I am able to open Home folders on this new install and the others and copy freely from one to another, and to my USB stick, which of course opens on the other installs. A bit annoying but solves the problem of not being able to save files to where they are needed.
Is your USB stick still correctly formatted as FAT32? Mine got corrupted when I tried saving Kernel 4.6 rc7 to copy to CF Card. I had to re format my USB stick. Thankfully I have a backup Kernels folder stashed on another 16 GB USB stick - known to work.
Other problems have been solved. I can do Japanese and Korean with no trouble now. The only really bad thing is the double width screens that is sometimes lose the mouse arrow in the right side of. I wonder, though, if perhaps I should erase this install and try the new image announced today.
Maybe the new image might work. See if you can get these annoying things taken care of first. That way you will be able to face the new version with a smooth start.

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

jdupuis wrote:..., actually System>Control Center> Users and Groups. Log in as AmigaOne and create your Admin Account with your name and your own password. You'll have to restart and log in with your new Admin Account in order to delete the others - namely AmigaOne.

Two interesting problems here.
1. I have two routes to Users and Groups. The one you mention above, and the one I had used before, via Administration under System. It's the latter that I used a couple of days ago to make "bart" an Administrator. Since then, I have been unable to open Users and Groups either way. Just a clicking noise when I click the icon.
2. I have not idea how to log in as amigaone. Having to revive the desktop a few minutes ago, I was relieved to be given the option to log in as another user. When I clicked that option, up came the automatic "bart" login. I'll investigate whether there is something I can do about that in the terminal. (Worried that maybe sudo wouldn't work in terminal anymore, I just upgraded a surprising 31 [minus?] packages.)

I spent some time playing in Welcome > Getting Started > System Specifications. In the Basic tab I found that Boot Mode, marked with a red triangled "!," "Could not gather data." Should I worry about that? I'll look at that later from one of my other 16.04 installs.

In the Detailed tab, I found
"No /sys/class/dmi; using dmidecode: dmidecode is not installed.
"Memory: Using dmidecode: dmidecode is not installed."
Gives me something to google. Should I install that, or not?
"Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 driver: radeon Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz."

Somewhere in the System Specifications tab I found in a list of users, "amigaone" in the left column, "bart" to its right. Elsewhere "User Name amigaone(bart)." And the resolution of Monitor 0 given as 1920x1080@60.00hz, and that of Monitor 1 was 1920x1080@60.00hz. Huh? Monitor 1? Where did that come from? ("Display Resolution: 3840x1080...")
Oh, and "No Kernel Modules"! I'll try to fix that right now! After a lot of typing, /lib/modules is pretty well populated, but clicking Kernel Modules in the Welcome >...> Utilities tab still brings up a blank page. Maybe if I reboot?
Is your USB stick still correctly formatted as FAT32?
Probably. It is easy to read/write from any of my other ubuntu installations, as well as AOS4.1FE.

Fortunately with at least one other working 16.04 and one 12.04, this isn't crucial, but it seems like potentially the best.

Thanks again for your interest. It softens the angst.

Bart
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

BIG CLUE! But maybe not quite a full solution.

Having relapsed into the state where my MATE installs don't bring up a log in requester on the Plymouth screen, it seemed to me that those installs being slightly different versions on different disks, the problem must be that they were asking the X1000 to do something it couldn't. Google got me to others with similar problems, and one suggestion was to reinstall nvidia. I suspect that may not apply to an AmigaOne X1000, but it started me wondering if maybe my graphics card was ailing.

And then I finally noticed that my monitor was announcing "ANALOG" every time I turned the computer on. I couldn't find a way to reset it to HDMI, but I tried the monitor out on my TV cable box (HDMI only), and it came on fine, so it wasn't a monitor problem. I brought it back to the Amiga and turned it on without doing the chore of running the wires properly behind the desk. HDMI! And I tried launching MATE with complete success.

Turned everything off, did the cables right, and turned it on again. ANALOG again, but black screen because I hadn't reconnected that cable. Somehow I was able to get it switched to HDMI, and am typing this from my primary (latest) MATE install. Just maybe the graphics card is OK.

But another thing that had aroused my suspicions. I have a MATE on my Amiga disk, and it used to work the same as the others. When the others were working, so was it. But lately, including today with HDMI, it complains about "low graphics mode," "screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly." Another possible clue to my problems might be the message I was getting that "enp0s20f3 couldn't attach to phy." Google doesn't find anyone with a "couldn't attach to phy" problem, though that gets a lot of hits that perhaps I should study enough to find out what "phy" is.