MATE doesn't ask for password

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

MATE doesn't ask for password

Post by kilaueabart »

On May 3rd, I tried yet another install of MATE 16.04, with a fresh download, and having reformatted Cf0: which now contains only kernel 4.1.21, on an empty 1TB rotary hard drive. I had previously had MATE on a partition on an SSD, upgraded close to the newly released version. I had used it with delight for four days. On the fifth day it booted this far and stopped:
P5030420.JPG
I immediately tried to boot two earlier installs of MATE that resided on different devices. Same result. So I was disappointed, but not surprised, when the new one acted the same.

I have been going through the logs for the new install. I'm not really sure what to make of them in spite of having just spent an hour or so watching videos about how Ubuntu boots, and what log files tell what. But since my problem is basically that the boot stops when it is supposed to ask me for my password, I wonder if the auth.log quoted below, particularly the lines at May 3 23:21:15 don't contain a major clue?

Mar 24 06:45:50 Amigaone sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 24 06:45:53 Amigaone systemd-logind[2977]: Removed session c2.
Mar 24 06:45:53 Amigaone systemd-logind[2977]: Removed session c1.
[ I was surprised to discover that many of the logs go back to March and April, weeks before I first ran the thing! ]
May 3 23:21:03 Amigaone systemd-logind[1970]: New seat seat0.
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone systemd-logind[1970]: New session c1 of user lightdm.
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
May 3 23:21:10 Amigaone dbus[1974]: [system] Rejected send message, 10 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.19" (uid=0 pid=2248 comm="/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --no-resolv --keep-in-foreground") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.3" (uid=0 pid=1973 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "amigaone"
May 3 23:21:38 Amigaone dbus[1974]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out
Mar 24 06:45:50 Amigaone sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 24 06:45:53 Amigaone systemd-logind[2977]: Removed session c2.
Mar 24 06:45:53 Amigaone systemd-logind[2977]: Removed session c1.
May 3 23:21:03 Amigaone systemd-logind[1970]: New seat seat0.
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone systemd-logind[1970]: New session c1 of user lightdm.
May 3 23:21:09 Amigaone systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
May 3 23:21:10 Amigaone dbus[1974]: [system] Rejected send message, 10 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.19" (uid=0 pid=2248 comm="/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --no-resolv --keep-in-foreground") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.3" (uid=0 pid=1973 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
May 3 23:21:15 Amigaone lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "amigaone"
May 3 23:21:38 Amigaone dbus[1974]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out
May 4 00:17:01 Amigaone CRON[5014]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
May 4 00:17:01 Amigaone CRON[5014]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root

What I am secretly hoping is that one of you smart guys will see the problem there, and even tell me how to fix it. Please.
xeno74

Re: MATE doesn't ask for password

Post by xeno74 »

I think there is the same UUID for each ubuntu MATE installation.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

Hi Bart,

Judging by both of your posts, you may have several issues that are causing your catastrophe. First, you may want to do a Modem/Router reboot. When you commence trying to install Linux choose only one of the ETH connections during installation process. This will minimize your Modem/Router connection confusion. I've been there.
Second, there is multiple installs and data that has not been overwritten or deleted. Since you have no means of doing a full erase, you have to make the drive as clean as you can with what you have to work with. What I have done for myself without pulling my HD and erasing it with my Mac is using GParted from the bootable Ubuntu DVD and doing a series of multiple filesystem formats across entire drive. So what I did:
In GParted select the drive you wish to erase (i.e. sdb) Pull down "devices" and create MS-DOS Partition Table. Then right click "unallocated" to format as NTFS. After Appling the change, close GParted. Re-Open and repeat the above step and format as EXT2. Close then re-open Gparted following the same steps and format as FAT32 - at this point do not close. Simply right click and delete FAT32 so it is "unallocated". Close out. Now the drive should be ready to take the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 image. This sounds a little time consuming, but it was what worked out for me, again, without removing my HD and erasing on my Mac which is more time consuming and stress on that silly SATA connector. Don't forget after Mate install, create your ADMIN user account with your name and password then you can delete the AMIGAONE user account! Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

jdupuis wrote:... First, you may want to do a Modem/Router reboot. When you commence trying to install Linux choose only one of the ETH connections during installation process. This will minimize your Modem/Router connection confusion. ...
I'm not sure how to do a modem/router reboot. Turn it off for a while and then back on? Then I haven't the foggiest what an "ETH connection" might be. (Google not my friend, this time.)
Second, there is multiple installs and data that has not been overwritten or deleted. Since you have no means of doing a full erase, you have to make the drive as clean as you can with what you have to work with. What I have done for myself without pulling my HD and erasing it with my Mac is using GParted from the bootable Ubuntu DVD and doing a series of multiple filesystem formats across entire drive. So what I did: [lines saved for printing out, just in case there is something I've been missing]
OK, John, you mention /dev/sdb/ as the one to work on, but what about the flash drive? MATE had been usable from it until the sdb install, after four days of usage, ceased to work, and the flash drive install did too. What about the /dev/sda9 install, which also worked before sdb quit on me. If I fix /dev/sdb/ will the others come back to life? (Anyway, I want to hang on to that until I finish probing the log files.)

I find it hard to believe that it is a disk problem, affecting three disks all of a sudden at the same time. Granted, nothing else seems to make much sense either. But I can't shake the idea that this line from my newest install
has something to do with it. Where does it get that "user 'amigaone'" from? Presumably "amigaone" signed up for automatic, no password, launching, and that's why the password requester doesn't come up. If I could get into the innards and change that..?

Should I have /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so? There's not even a /security in /lib in any of my three MATE's file systems. Well, 12.04 does have /lib/security/ with no wallet, and it boots just fine, so probably not significant. Yet the last two lines of auth.log from another MATE that I booted on April 28 are
Apr 30 21:32:14 AmigaOneX1000 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
Apr 30 21:32:14 AmigaOneX1000 lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "bart"
Very confusing!
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:I think there is the same UUID for each ubuntu MATE installation.
I've mentioned before that I'm not very smart, and I don't know what you mean by that.

Should each MATE installation have the same UUID, even if they are on different devices? And is there some way to do something to the UUID from outside the program that will do some good?
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

Bart,

eth is ethernet. I have both my network card and Nemo hooked up to my router. During the installation of 12.04 and 16.04 I had to disconnect the network card as to let Linux configure the Nemo connection.
Rebooting the Cable and Router is easy. Unplug the AC cords to both of them (if your Modem and Router are separate). Wait two to five minutes. If they are separate plug in router and let it boot up first. Then plug in your modem. Wait five to 30 mins. If it is all in one, simply plug in and wait for a complete boot up. Five to 30 mins.
I used "sdb" as an example. In order to install Ubuntu Mate 16.04 disk image correctly, you must use an entire Hard Drive. The Disk Image writes the partitions for the entire drive, sorry. So whether you install it to sdb or sdc, it doesn't matter. The whole Hard drive will be used in this process, not a partition.
As well, my friend, I find it hard to believe that all has failed at the same time. Finding the common denominator is the rub.
When Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is installed and you restart, you will be greeted with a Login Window: Username: AmigaOne | Password: amigaone.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I'm going to have to think hard about this tomorrow (no more time today). After I posted here, and spent a while looking at the log files of various 12.04 and 16.04 installations, I rebooted and tried the MATE I have on my AOS disk again. To my astonishment, it came up, asked me for my password, and gave me a full, fairly advanced desktop. I clicked Firefox to write this, and got kicked off line. I couldn't figure out how to get back on.

I have to carefully review just what I have where -- old age definitely kicking in; wish I could look at CFE from the Amiga desktop -- and see what I can do with your instructions tomorrow.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I'm going to have to think hard about this tomorrow (no more time today). After I posted here, and spent a while looking at the log files of various 12.04 and 16.04 installations, I rebooted and tried the MATE I have on my AOS disk again. To my astonishment, it came up, asked me for my password, and gave me a full, fairly advanced desktop. I clicked Firefox to write this, and got kicked off line. I couldn't figure out how to get back on.

I have to carefully review just what I have where -- old age definitely kicking in; wish I could look at CFE from the Amiga desktop -- and see what I can do with your instructions tomorrow.
Hi Kilaueabart,

Please delete all Linux partitions with Gparted and copy the ubuntu MATE 16.04 image to an entire empty hard disk.

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Utterly baffled! After the surprise boot of an old MATE last night, finally asking for my password, I happened to try the new image I had copied to an empty disk on April 3rd, and which had also refused to show the password requester when I tried to boot it, and today it asked for my password!

Tried "amigaone." Wrong. Tried my normal ubuntu password. It worked (how did this install know?). In terminal, "sudo update." My ubuntu password didn't work. I had to type "amigaone." Upgrade took about an hour, maybe a bit longer.

I have to figure out how to create ADMIN user account, but I will.

Not everything is hunky-dory. I tried to send this from that install of MATE but didn't remember Hyperion password. Plugged in the flash drive where my passwords are stored, and clicked on the icon. "The file is of unknown type." I got that message for any device icon I clicked on. So here I am in AOS4.1FE, Odyssey.

Suddenly I lost the mouse arrow, and use of the keyboard. I had to use the reset button on the cabinet. During upgrade, I noticed two or three messages that something wouldn't be completed until I rebooted. I think I have time to try after I post this, but I'm scared.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I was slightly wrong. Clicking on my flash drive icon gets me a red disk with a minus in it (Oh, oh! I have the weird keyboard again. The double quote key comes out @.) and the message
Could not display '/media/amigaone/STORE'N'GO'.
The location is not a folder.
kern.log has this to say:
May 9 16:57:29 Amigaone kernel: FAT-fs (sdd1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
May 9 17:13:58 Amigaone kernel: usb 1-9: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
May 9 17:13:58 Amigaone kernel: usb 1-9: New USB device found, idVendor=08ec, idProduct=0008
May 9 17:13:58 Amigaone kernel: usb 1-9: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
May 9 17:13:58 Amigaone kernel: usb 1-9: Product: Store 'n' Go
May 9 17:13:58 Amigaone kernel: usb 1-9: Manufacturer: Verbatim
May 9 17:13:58 Amigaone kernel: usb 1-9: SerialNumber: 0C701361321058DF
May 9 17:13:58 Amigaone kernel: usb-storage 1-9:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
May 9 17:13:58 Amigaone kernel: scsi host7: usb-storage 1-9:1.0
May 9 17:13:59 Amigaone kernel: scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access VBTM Store 'n' Go 5.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
May 9 17:13:59 Amigaone kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
May 9 17:14:00 Amigaone kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] 1005568 512-byte logical blocks: (515 MB/491 MiB)
May 9 17:14:00 Amigaone kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Write Protect is off
May 9 17:14:00 Amigaone kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
May 9 17:14:00 Amigaone kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] No Caching mode page found
May 9 17:14:00 Amigaone kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through
May 9 17:14:00 Amigaone kernel: sde: sde1
May 9 17:14:00 Amigaone kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk
May 9 17:14:00 Amigaone kernel: FAT-fs (sde1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
May 9 17:31:20 Amigaone kernel: EXT4-fs (sda9): recovery complete
May 9 17:31:20 Amigaone kernel: EXT4-fs (sda9): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

I pressed some wrong key a moment ago and now there is a screen wide (1/3 screen height black rectangle across the top of my screen, 'amigaone@Amigaone:-$' in green, upper left corner. Looks like a terminal, but I cannot exit it or move it.

Sort of frustrating!