Kernel 4.7

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
mechanic

Re: Kernel 4.7

Post by mechanic »

I have installed my 4.7.1 modules into Deb9, Deb8, Deb7, and Mint11. Up and running on all. :D
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

mechanic wrote:I have installed my 4.7.1 modules into Deb9, Deb8, Deb7, and Mint11. Up and running on all. :D
Maybe that is the key and why on Lubuntu LXqt 16.10 I can't get past initramfs and an early boot stage. How do you do it and where do you install those modules?
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

I have a lead of my own: the boot process via Systemd uses an outdated version of fsck compared to the one installed. Why is that? because of different systems during the boot process. However that is something I can't change and in fact btrfs doesn't even uses fsck as it has its own tools for such operations and I disabled it in fstab (you know the 2 numbers at the end of the partition boot line? make them both 0 if you use btrfs). I guess something else calls the shots during the early boot phase where fsck of an older version is being used. All this is of course in the case of a initrd image boot and not a kernel boot which always gives me an oops error after failing to recognize btrfs.
Last edited by Srtest on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

xeno74 wrote:
Srtest wrote:Hi, I also can't boot with the added btrfs attributes. I think we've been on that road before and I was the one who asked to turn off some features of the fs...
Hi All,

Thanks a lot for testing. What shall I turn off?

Thanks,

Christian
For the following kernel I would start with disabling F2FS as no one is using it (although a very interesting fs) AND to disable the integrity test of btrfs as it is more a debugging option according to people who know more about it than I do.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote: For the following kernel I would start with disabling F2FS as no one is using it (although a very interesting fs) AND to disable the integrity test of btrfs as it is more a debugging option according to people who know more about it than I do.
I will do that for the 4.7.3.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Srtest wrote:
mechanic wrote:I have installed my 4.7.1 modules into Deb9, Deb8, Deb7, and Mint11. Up and running on all. :D
Maybe that is the key and why on Lubuntu LXqt 16.10 I can't get past initramfs and an early boot stage. How do you do it and where do you install those modules?
First, I'm using gcc 4.9.3-14 to build the kernel and modules. That version is available on Deb8 and Deb-stretch. To use it instead of gcc-5.4 (or 6.x) you need to increase its priority, 20 seems to be enough.

After building the kernel and doing 'make modules_install' go into /lib/modules/name, as root, and cut the links for Boot and Source and paste them in some other folder to delete them. Then copy the modules and paste them where needed. Rename the kernel to vmlinux-x.x.x_ZZN and copy that to your boot device.

When I build the kernel I always give the new stuff the _ZZN extension under General setup>LOCALVERSION.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

"Enable/disable support for Posix Access Control Lists (ACLs). The support for ACL is build-time configurable (BTRFS_FS_POSIX_ACL) and mount fails if acl is requested but the feature is not compiled in." => I've found out that an automatic boot partition option of btrfs on my installation turns it off by default as it doesn't use fstab.

That might also be something that isn't supported on ubuntu-based distros.

As far as installing modules I get it that is what you can do on Debian. I might have given the impression I'm getting my head into those things, when I'm really not...

My best bet is enabling/disabling options on the kernel because it is clear that ubuntu distros doesn't support certain features of the btrfs kernel options or maybe it's systemd. That is actually one of the few weaknesses I found while using btrfs (which I'll write about in length sometimes) that its developments are not communicated properly to other systems's developments so you can have inconsistencies. Its elegance sometimes passes the basic need to to be recognized and configured by different elements of linux because of the reliance on images and snapshots etc.

Ok, I get it now, btrfs uses the options one adds to the kernel boot (or its default/kernel/installation ones) instead of using fstab. That means I'm going to try adding a few parameters to the setenv line in cfe you can usually find in fstab/mtab. Something like device=/dev/sdc1 and acl (following the rootflags=subvol=@ parameter). I'm also using rootfstype=btrfs and might also add an additional scan for btrfs all in order of pointing it at the right direction. I'm hoping those parameters will help it to overcome the communication inconsistencies with the installation.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I have been watching, reading, the kernel diffs and btrfs seems to be under some pretty heavy development/modification and if that is going on in the x86 world I would just back away from it until things settle down a bit and the ppc port can catch up. Heck, the same thing is going on with gcc and I was surprized when 4.9.3 actually did a great job building the 4.7.x kernel.

Maybe just use btrfs on some non-critical partition. Heck it took almost 2 years to get ext4ppc into truly useable shape.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

@Darren
@xeno74

I applied Darrens 4.8 kernel patch to 4.7.1, the offsets were a bit different but it worked.
The new build works on Deb8, stretch, and Mint11.

Good job. :)
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

mechanic wrote:@Darren
@xeno74

I applied Darrens 4.8 kernel patch to 4.7.1, the offsets were a bit different but it worked.
The new build works on Deb8, stretch, and Mint11.

Good job. :)
Hi Mechanic,

Many thanks for testing Darren's new patch with the kernel 4.7.1. Srtest can't boot a kernel with Darren's updates. I will use the old Nemo patch for the next update of kernel 4.7 (4.7.3). For the kernel 4.8, I will use Darren's patch.

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.