Debian 9 Stretch

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.

Debian 9 Stretch

Postby xeno74 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi All,

Julian released two Debian Stretch installer ramdisks for the AmigaONE X1000 for testing today.

For Northern Island video cards: initrd_debian_stretch_x1000_ni_kernel_4_7_0.gz

For Southern Islands video cards: initrd_debian_stretch_x1000_si_kernel_4_7_0.gz

@Julian
Many thanks for these installer ramdisks. :-)

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby zappa2009 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Installation on my X1000 besides Lubuntu16.04.1LTS works.
I use Kernel 4.7 for the installation but later Kernel4.1.27 for booting.
And I must use my old Xorg.conf with Radeon (amdgpu dont work!) from my Lubuntu16.04 Partition.

With this little work I can boot now into the Desktop and go a Screen with Mesa-Software-Renderer.

Oh Graphic is R7 250X

With Kernel4.7 i got always KernelPanic.
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
User avatar
zappa2009
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby xeno74 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:55 am

zappa2009 wrote:Installation on my X1000 besides Lubuntu16.04.1LTS works.
I use Kernel 4.7 for the installation but later Kernel4.1.27 for booting.
And I must use my old Xorg.conf with Radeon (amdgpu dont work!) from my Lubuntu16.04 Partition.

With this little work I can boot now into the Desktop and go a Screen with Mesa-Software-Renderer.

Oh Graphic is R7 250X

With Kernel4.7 i got always KernelPanic.


Hi zappa2009,

Many thanks for testing! Could you please post the output messages of the kernel panic?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby xeno74 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:42 am

Hi zappa2009,

Luigi told me that you could try to kill the /usr/lib/xorg/modules glamour. After that you will have radeon working with swrast or llvmpipe.

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby zappa2009 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Or i try your an Luigi's hints this Weekend.
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
User avatar
zappa2009
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby mechanic » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:28 am

I shrunk a partition and did a net install using the 'ni' initrd with the 4.7 kernel. Now that was really slick. KUDOS to Julian.

It boots and runs with 4.7, but I also gave 4.1.27 a try and it does seem somewhat faster and more responsive. Perhaps, now that I have a working Deb8-gcc4.9, I will do a rebuild of 4.7 which will be custom to my X1000 and see if any improvements are made.

I may also try a reinstall of Deb8 to include a desktop using the NI initrd.

Excellent! Just plain slick. 8-)

:D
A-Eon A1X1000
User avatar
mechanic
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby xeno74 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:16 am

mechanic wrote:I shrunk a partition and did a net install using the 'ni' initrd with the 4.7 kernel. Now that was really slick. KUDOS to Julian.

It boots and runs with 4.7, but I also gave 4.1.27 a try and it does seem somewhat faster and more responsive. Perhaps, now that I have a working Deb8-gcc4.9, I will do a rebuild of 4.7 which will be custom to my X1000 and see if any improvements are made.

I may also try a reinstall of Deb8 to include a desktop using the NI initrd.

Excellent! Just plain slick. 8-)

:D


Mechanic,

Many thanks for testing! Could you also please test Debian Stretch with the stable longterm kernel 4.1.28?

Thanks,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby mechanic » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:05 pm

xeno74 wrote:
Mechanic,

Many thanks for testing! Could you also please test Debian Stretch with the stable longterm kernel 4.1.28?

Thanks,

Christian


4.1.28 is no good on my system.

It boots just fine and things work. However, if the computer sets idle for between 3 and 6 minutes it just locks up and the only cure is to hard reset.

I have disabled the screensaver, and cron's but to no avail. Perhaps it is due to the Stretch distro still being under early development. 4.1.27 still works just fine.

By sitting idle I mean simply not using the kbd or mouse. Using apt or even playing a video is not a cure. The system logs show nothing so I suspect the kernel is just going bye-bye.

Others may get different results. :?
A-Eon A1X1000
User avatar
mechanic
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby xeno74 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:37 am

mechanic wrote:4.1.28 is no good on my system.

It boots just fine and things work. However, if the computer sets idle for between 3 and 6 minutes it just locks up and the only cure is to hard reset.

I have disabled the screensaver, and cron's but to no avail. Perhaps it is due to the Stretch distro still being under early development. 4.1.27 still works just fine.

By sitting idle I mean simply not using the kbd or mouse. Using apt or even playing a video is not a cure. The system logs show nothing so I suspect the kernel is just going bye-bye.

Others may get different results. :?


OK, good to know but what happened between 4.1.27 and 4.1.28? Thanks for testing.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Postby mechanic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:22 pm

xeno74 wrote:OK, good to know but what happened between 4.1.27 and 4.1.28? Thanks for testing.

I really don't have a clue. It could be some piece of hardware, every slot is loaded, producing an interrupt the kernel interprets wrong or . . . . ???

It just might get fixed in 4.1.29. Not an emergency. :idea:
A-Eon A1X1000
User avatar
mechanic
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Next

Return to Platform: AmigaOne X1000 - Linux Only

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests